To be or not to be Manalorian?

kladza

I'm at the part of the BH story where I have to choose to accept to become a Mandalorian or not and I cant decide what to do. What did you guys choose and why? My Bounty Hunter is an honorable person and also it feels good for the BH to be a part of something and have a purpose instead of just being a bloodthirsty mercenary, mandalorians seem to have a good rep and its nice being part of something cauze the BH isnt really anything (not a republic citizen, not an impirial citizen) but there is just one thing holding me back, its the fact that my bounty hunter follows her own rules and doesnt respect any culture. Edited by kladza

My hunters have no desire to be tied to the whims of Mandalore or to abandon their own culture and beliefs in order to join a bunch of war-obsessed fanatics. What Tarro Blood and his cronies get away with doing to the hunter doesn't help any.

how can you be honorable and don't respect any culture ? Don't you mean respect no rules ?? cose that would make more sense ;)

Anyway , I decided that my BH would join the Mando . Because the whole story push you toward it . I hate the Mando as a society...but I was role playing .

You could always play this BH as one who join the Mando , and then Make another one who will turn down the offer .

Mine was a Powertech (Tank) so it fit . But my Merc won't..and I'm gonna play her someone who is a Hot head and will say no Thanx , I rather be free like the wind and find my own contract without all the Mumbo Jumbo of honor and Hunter nonsense :D

Well, I mentally sort of RP the characters that I play, and she decided to become Mandalorian because she likes personal honor, she likes being challenged, and she has never really belonged anywhere or to anyone, the notion of actually being wanted was novel and enjoyable. She fits the idea of being Mandalorian, so I said yes.

For your character, it depends on whether or not you play according to what your CHARACTER would do, or if you play however you want and ignore your character's personality, if you even take that into account at all.

Well, I mentally sort of RP the characters that I play, and she decided to become Mandalorian because she likes personal honor, she likes being challenged, and she has never really belonged anywhere or to anyone, the notion of actually being wanted was novel and enjoyable. She fits the idea of being Mandalorian, so I said yes.

For your character, it depends on whether or not you play according to what your CHARACTER would do, or if you play however you want and ignore your character's personality, if you even take that into account at all.

I mostly go by what my character would do but for this one idk what my character would do. She is honorable and it would be nice if she had somewhere to fit in like being a Mandalorian but she also likes to follow her own rules and do as she pleases, not what Mandalorians would tell her to. And I also dont know much about Mandalorian culture would be nice if I knew a bit more, read some online but there isnt much

I mostly go by what my character would do but for this one idk what my character would do. She is honorable and it would be nice if she had somewhere to fit in like being a Mandalorian but she also likes to follow her own rules and do as she pleases, not what Mandalorians would tell her to. And I also dont know much about Mandalorian culture would be nice if I knew a bit more, read some online but there isnt much

Mandelorian culture is actually pretty hands off in the sense that there's only six laws you have to keep to be considered Mandelorian. Wearing armor, speaking the language, defending yourself and your family, raising your children as Mandalorians, contributing to the clan's welfare (I guess sending money or defending them?), and to answer the call of Mandalore to battle.

Everything else in life is pretty much up to the individual. They're supposed to embody the idea of the "noble warrior". They fight because they want to be challenged, not necessarily because they're on someone's payroll. To them, battle is the purest expression of self, because when you fight you run on pure instinct and survival, and niceties have no place on the battlefield. That's where your real self comes out. Now, of course you'll get the psychos who love to kill and maim, etc etc, but for the most part they become Bounty Hunters because it pays, and because they can pick honorable targets for them to go after.

But basically if you become Mandalorian, you're free to do as you please so long as you follow the tenets and you don't do something that would clearly, blatantly piss off Mandalore him/herself.

Mandelorian culture is actually pretty hands off in the sense that there's only six laws you have to keep to be considered Mandelorian. Wearing armor, speaking the language, defending yourself and your family, raising your children as Mandalorians, contributing to the clan's welfare (I guess sending money or defending them?), and to answer the call of Mandalore to battle.

Everything else in life is pretty much up to the individual. They're supposed to embody the idea of the "noble warrior". They fight because they want to be challenged, not necessarily because they're on someone's payroll. To them, battle is the purest expression of self, because when you fight you run on pure instinct and survival, and niceties have no place on the battlefield. That's where your real self comes out. Now, of course you'll get the psychos who love to kill and maim, etc etc, but for the most part they become Bounty Hunters because it pays, and because they can pick honorable targets for them to go after.

But basically if you become Mandalorian, you're free to do as you please so long as you follow the tenets and you don't do something that would clearly, blatantly piss off Mandalore him/herself.

Thank you for explaining this. Really helps :)

Also from what I gathered Mandalorians can challenge Mandalore for his position of course I do not know for sure if made Mandalorians or born Mandalorians can do that? I assume that only the ones that are born mandalorians can do that.

Also from what I gathered Mandalorians can challenge Mandalore for his position of course I do not know for sure if made Mandalorians or born Mandalorians can do that? I assume that only the ones that are born mandalorians can do that.

"Born" Mandelorians and "made" Mandalorians are all Mandalorians. They focus on achievements and adherence to the laws rather than your ancestors. Mandalorians are really big on adoption, too, to the point where the Mandalorian "species" has sort of disappeared and now it's just a pure way of life for anyone who can keep to it. As far as challenging Mandalore for the title- it doesn't matter if you were raised Mandalorian or if you were adopted it, if you're a Mandalorian with a good reputation, you can challenge Mandalore for his or her title. Of course, if you loose, you'll be killed immediately, so it's not usually done.

When I started the BH story I was still up in the air whether I'd make her Mando or not. I had it in my head that she followed her own code, but it didn't necessarily coincide with the Mandalorian's. I won't go into a long schpeel about her back story, but it comes down to this. Weakness is the enemy. The strong survive. To forget that equals death in her eyes. When she takes a job, she completes it no matter the cost. On principle and for the cash. Although the Empire may be a frequent employer, she's nobody's lap dog.

I decided to take Mandalore's offer because going further into the story about the Mando's I realized that their code had a lot more meaning than just we fight this group because they look tough. It's based on honor, comradery, family, and fighting to strengthen themselves in both mind and body. Not all of the battles they fight are to the death and people seem to forget that the Jedi and Republic can be just as "blood thirsty" as the Mandos are made out to be.

Heck, in the story you take down the Jedi Mando Killer. His excuse to not fight is that it happened ages ago! Then half the story you spend fighting another Jedi out for revenge!

Edited by h_weber

When I started the BH story I was still up in the air whether I'd make her Mando or not. I had it in my head that she followed her own code, but it didn't necessarily coincide with the Mandalorian's. I won't go into a long schpeel about her back story, but it comes down to this. Weakness is the enemy. The strong survive. To forget that equals death in her eyes. When she takes a job, she completes it no matter the cost. On principle and for the cash. Although the Empire may be a frequent employer, she's nobody's lap dog.

I decided to take Mandalore's offer because going further into the story about the Mando's I realized that their code had a lot more meaning than just we fight this group because they look tough. It's based on honor, comradery, family, and fighting to strengthen themselves in both mind and body. Not all of the battles they fight are to the death and people seem to forget that the Jedi and Republic can be just as "blood thirsty" as the Mandos are made out to be.

Heck, in the story you take down the Jedi Mando Killer. His excuse to not fight is that it happened ages ago! Then half the story you spend fighting another Jedi out for revenge!

I'm curious, did you get the conversation with Torian about the Resol'nare (the Mandalorian laws)? If so, is this an old character or one started after 4.0?

My Pre-4.0 BH got it, but my post 4.0 BH did not. It's a pretty important conversation to be bugged out of existence.

I'm curious, did you get the conversation with Torian about the Resol'nare (the Mandalorian laws)? If so, is this an old character or one started after 4.0?

My Pre-4.0 BH got it, but my post 4.0 BH did not. It's a pretty important conversation to be bugged out of existence.

Yeah, that was one I think they removed after the patch. I know the romance wasn't bugged because it was mentioned in SOR and my BH received the letters; including the one in KOTFE. I did notice the one conversation was changed though. Instead of showing off his shooting skills, he asked for lessons from my BH.

Yeah, that was one I think they removed after the patch. I know the romance wasn't bugged because it was mentioned in SOR and my BH received the letters; including the one in KOTFE. I did notice the one conversation was changed though. Instead of showing off his shooting skills, he asked for lessons from my BH.

Then I guess it is true, he is still bugged. :( I was hoping...

Well I now have 2 mandos, my first one went whole hog and became a Mando(eventhough he's a Cathar, there's a backstory to that), my second BH is not going to, but will remain friendly since she's going to romance Torion.

Well I now have 2 mandos, my first one went whole hog and became a Mando(eventhough he's a Cathar, there's a backstory to that), my second BH is not going to, but will remain friendly since she's going to romance Torion.

Only problem is

that if you decide to not become Mando you insult Mandalore in a big way. You can still romance Torian, but it affects where it leads.

Only problem is

that if you decide to not become Mando you insult Mandalore in a big way. You can still romance Torian, but it affects where it leads.

So what what will he do about it the champion can kill him and the ones the ones the room and they all know it.

So what what will he do about it the champion can kill him and the ones the ones the room and they all know it.

If you're referring to Mandalore, he curses you and sends you out of the room. No celebration for winning the hunt or anything. As for the romance with Torian, sometime during it he brings up the fact that you insulted Mandalore, and that you don't understand their ways. I'm not sure if its a bug, but I do notice that he doesn't propose if you aren't Mandalorian. One of the conversations addresses having kids; and whether or not you plan on raising them as Mandos or not though. Whether the romance is locked in, I honestly don't know.

He does propose if you're not Mandalorian - I just did this on a BH - but only if you first agree to have children and raise them as Mandos. And even if you decline to have kids or raise them that way (which I've also done), you'll still get the letter in KotFE and all that jazz. I don't think you get the three post-romance letters from him, though. Edited by Tarlonniel

Is it allowed for mandalorians to back up from their duty. For example the mandalorian women that is a companion for the Smuggler had her family clan wiped out while she did responded in kind as a ****** the clan of her husband refused to help her and she said that they had to help her according to mandalorian tradition but refused as they where scared of the imperials. Is that not a cardinal sin for the mandalorians?

He does propose if you're not Mandalorian - I just did this on a BH - but only if you first agree to have children and raise them as Mandos. And even if you decline to have kids or raise them that way (which I've also done), you'll still get the letter in KotFE and all that jazz. I don't think you get the three post-romance letters from him, though.

Glad we got that cleared up then. There was no proposal when she refused to raise any children as Mandos. I was always unsure if the romance was locked in or not with those difference in choices.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Mandalorian_culture

http://www.swtor-rp.com/forum/m/1639455/viewthread/1792812-mandalorians-culture-information

Glad we got that cleared up then. There was no proposal when she refused to raise any children as Mandos. I was always unsure if the romance was locked in or not with those difference in choices.

This would be explained by the conversation that is currently bugged out of existence. :( I'm hoping they fix it with 4.5.

"The Resol'nare, or Six Actions when translated from Mando'a into Galactic Basic Standard, were the central tenets of Mandalorian life. They consisted of wearing armor, speaking the language, defending oneself and family, raising your children as Mandalorians, contributing to the clan's welfare, and when called upon by the Mand'alor, rallying to their cause."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Resol'nare

Raising children as Mandalorian is a big deal.

(And on an unrelated note, I am now scared that Torian and Mako got back together after the Outlander was frozen. But this would be on par with Jacob Taylor's nonsense and I'm hoping BioWare learned its lesson from that.)

Edited by Cedia

This would be explained by the conversation that is currently bugged out of existence. :( I'm hoping they fix it with 4.5.

"The Resol'nare, or Six Actions when translated from Mando'a into Galactic Basic Standard, were the central tenets of Mandalorian life. They consisted of wearing armor, speaking the language, defending oneself and family, raising your children as Mandalorians, contributing to the clan's welfare, and when called upon by the Mand'alor, rallying to their cause."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Resol'nare

(And on an unrelated note, I am now scared that Torian and Mako got back together after the Outlander was frozen. But this would be on par with Jacob Taylor's nonsense and I'm hoping BioWare learned its lesson from that.)

The BH I have is a Mando and the conversation you've mentioned wasn't in the romance. At this point I don't think they'll be going back and adding it in again. I doubt its a high priority; especially since they're trying to move forward in the story with the romances.

As far as Mako and and Torian getting together; unless they were in a romance before, I highly doubt it. Given the fact that Mako isn't returning in the new chapter, it's not likely even if they had been together.

Mandos take family very seriously, and given the letter from Torian you receive in KOTFE, he's not looking to change his widower status anytime soon.

What I think will be interesting is Torian's change in status when it comes to the clans. In the blurb they have about the chapter, it says he's become Shae's most trusted comrade; basically second in command to Mandalore. Quite a step up from a traitor's son, huh?

Edited by h_weber

Apparently so. In fact, given how... dedicated Torian is to his culture, I'm surprised at how little conflict there is in the romance with a non-Mando BH. I was really expecting - even hoping - things would be a bit rockier. Guess it's nigh-impossible to harsh that guy's mellow :cool: