Eternal Champion impressions

nobody talking about it yet? any impressions to share?

i enjoyed the thing, mine are:

- not renewable kolto, GOOD.

- companions carrying: i did it with sent(224)+H comp(20) and tank guardian ( pvp skank 204/208)+H comp(4) and it was easy..can't imagine lvl 50 comps.

- nice mechanics on last half of the bosses..first 3-4 are too linear and easy actually.

- replaybility, BAD: the gear is unmodded; the new set, not so appealing, rare drops will be so rare to not be worthy; deco with token? too expensive considering the weekly lock.

- gated content, BAD: do i really have to play 9 chapters to reach the content on any alt? it's crazy..shouldn't be so

- will it be expanded? it would be nice to see new challenges chains added..maybe with a theme. it could be defending the tytle idk.

- solo+: should definetly scale up in difficulty or at least be an option.

Well, this has already been discussed to death in the PTS forums. And not a single one of my suggestions was picked up by the developers. They kept delaying EC and worked on it in secret, and when they finally showed it to us, it was already close to done and they refused to do any major changes.

Obviously, Eternal Championship was intended for a 4.1 or even 4.0 release. Initially, it was intended to get players into endgame content and smooth the learning curve between KotFE content and flashpoints/operations, as well as helping players get better gear.

But the devs should have realized that thanks to all the delays, players no longer need gear, or at least have realized that there are better ways to get gear. EC was a great idea (as so many ideas in KotFE) but the execution was done poorly.

Though I don't really care now. I'll play through it a couple of times until I get the pet. I'm pretty sure my Scoundrel has no chance in the speedrun competition (knights/warriors have a far easier time), but I'm doing fast runs anyways to get it over with.

EC could have been so much more but the devs didn't even want to make the best of the situation. My final suggestions were e.g. to remove repair costs (so players are motivated to continue trying and don't give up), to remove the Chapter 9 gating, to increase the credit output to ~300k to make it viable against running heroics, to rework bosses 1-4 (increase HP and make mechanics more meaningful, not ignorable) so players are not thrown against a brickwall on boss 6, and to give players some better control on boss 6, but my suggestions were all ignored.

There have been previous PTS iterations where the devs were at least a little more active on the PTS forums, or listened to feedback, but EC was definitely not one of them.

Edited by Jerba

Good impressions:

-Seems relatively bug free.

-If the goal is inclusivity, it seems to have something for all levels of skill, at least first time through.

-If the goal was to help educate people on mechanics, it might have some value

Bad impressions:

-I see no replay-ability factor for anyone who can beat 10/10.

-Gated behind Chapter 9 will have opposite effect as BW hoped.

-Companions/class make this impossible to ever scale perfectly.

I'm curious what this was tuned for WRT companion influence level. I saw a drastic difference in ease between dpsing with a level 13 influence companion vs. a level 40 influence companion. Night and day. Probably a wider gap than makes sense. That's probably more an indictment of companions than this content though.

I did this on my only two characters I'd run through KotFE. Unfortunately, characters I'd prefer to actually do this with I've not done KotFE. I believe (TFHT) BW gated this in order encourage more KotFE participation (most people I know have one brought just one or two characters through) but in reality it's not compelling enough.

People that get bored with repetitive solo content are not going to jump at the chance to do repetitive solo content just to unlock more repetitive solo content. So for me, I would like to try EC on a couple different classes for fun, but the 25 mins of fun (once) aren't worth plodding through KotFE. Honestly if it had been gated by anything after Chapter 9 I wouldn't ever do it, as I've never done Chpt 10.

Lastly, I did this first on my tank, and it was a joke. Other than killing the probes in #9 and positioning in #10 I didn't see a single mechanic that really needed to be minded. As a DPS it was definitely a lot different but as mentioned swapping to a higher influence companion took most of the concern away. It may have been more difficult if I had not already seen it on the tank, perhaps I should have done it in the other order.

All in all, it was... cute... and a nice distraction for an afternoon. But I don't really see it as something I need/want to do again.

If I could take one positive from it, it's that the last encounter was actually pretty cool and gave me hope that even without George on the team there are some folks left at BW that may be able to design a decent set of Operations.... someday.

Here's hoping.

Edited by gabigool

i had the same concerns..i didn't do 9 chapters on more than maybe 3 characters..and one because it was my main raiding toon at the time..

being gated takes away the interest in trying it with different specs and classes..

The main big thing that I dislike is that it require me to have completed chapter 9. I do the story on two characters, and only to see whether or not choices changes anything significant (which they rarely do). I won't do chapters on any other alt because repetetive stories are boring, non-challenging and without any significant reward.

The one thing I don't like is essentially having to do it solo if you want any of the rewards. Group play is not seem to be encouraged or even wanted which means I will not be doing it. I would rather do something with just my boyfriend and myself so we will do something else since they don't want group doing this.

Well, this has already been discussed to death in the PTS forums. And not a single one of my suggestions was picked up by the developers. They kept delaying EC and worked on it in secret, and when they finally showed it to us, it was already close to done and they refused to do any major changes.

Obviously, Eternal Championship was intended for a 4.1 or even 4.0 release. Initially, it was intended to get players into endgame content and smooth the learning curve between KotFE content and flashpoints/operations, as well as helping players get better gear.

But the devs should have realized that thanks to all the delays, players no longer need gear, or at least have realized that there are better ways to get gear. EC was a great idea (as so many ideas in KotFE) but the execution was done poorly.

Though I don't really care now. I'll play through it a couple of times until I get the pet. I'm pretty sure my Scoundrel has no chance in the speedrun competition (knights/warriors have a far easier time), but I'm doing fast runs anyways to get it over with.

EC could have been so much more but the devs didn't even want to make the best of the situation. My final suggestions were e.g. to remove repair costs (so players are motivated to continue trying and don't give up), to remove the Chapter 9 gating, to increase the credit output to ~300k to make it viable against running heroics, to rework bosses 1-4 (increase HP and make mechanics more meaningful, not ignorable) so players are not thrown against a brickwall on boss 6, and to give players some better control on boss 6, but my suggestions were all ignored.

There have been previous PTS iterations where the devs were at least a little more active on the PTS forums, or listened to feedback, but EC was definitely not one of them.

I dont understand why people are still using the PTS, the devs clearly dosent listen, why would you want to go through the work of playing incompleate content when the devs clearly dosent care. More then likly the only reason the PTS is there is to give the idea that they listen, to hopefully quiet people down

+: Relatively bug free, somewhat good timer tuning (ran a couple of times, first time went full blind and wiped twice on Batman; still no achievement - fights took around 12-13 minutes altogether). Also,

Last boss of EC is Kephess again, how convenient.

-: Weird tuning - boss 6 gives very little control over it, i chose brute forcing, but it still feels like a damn eternity, maybe it's a tactic issue or something but I can't see how to do it nice, clean and quick. Boss 10 looks like having some mechanics while in fact it doesn't. Rancor is an absolute joke. Even k'lor'slug/spider bosses are nastier.

Overall impression? It is nice, but has 0 replayability outside the timer.

BW can shove their "complete on all classes for epic saga blah blah with chapter9 requirement (also, pretty much means sub-only, but whatever)"... somewhere.

I'm blocked from finishing this on my marauder.

The Beatdown Brawler is just impossible since there is no way for my class to keep the three separated for more than a few seconds.

I'm decently geared and my companion is at 22 affection, so it's not that. Just can't do anything to stop the mechanic of the fight. :/

Edited by Ashcraft

The Beatdown Brawler is just impossible since there is no way for my class to keep the three separated for more than a few seconds.

I'm decently geared and my companion is at 22 affection, so it's not that. Just can't do anything to stop the mechanic of the fight. :/

Stick your comp on one. Kill the other while you slowly kite it away from the other. the one on your comp should stay there.

i used a healer. dps comp got wrecked, maybe wasnt high enough. healer stayed up fine.

i did it in carnage, healer companion(20), they don't enrage so just kite them until you have gore up again. if the comp aggroes, take it back attacking..you won't beat the timer but is doable without deaths. at the first try i just dot spread the crap out of them eating a ton of damage and consumed all the kolto,, but it's the only fight where i needed them.

Two things.

1. Tuning is PERFECT (well maybe they could switch boss #6 and #7 since Brawler is tougher than the Duo but it's still much better tuned than most content in the game).

2. They need to buff the reward for killing boss #10. An extra 2 EC Tokens + 20k credits would be perfect.

i did it in carnage, healer companion(20), they don't enrage so just kite them until you have gore up again. if the comp aggroes, take it back attacking..you won't beat the timer but is doable without deaths. at the first try i just dot spread the crap out of them eating a ton of damage and consumed all the kolto,, but it's the only fight where i needed them.

Just managed to do it in Combat with a dps companion (lv 19). Had to eat all the Kolto stations, however. But yeah, just stick your comp on the other beast and you'll be fine. They will keep aggro even in heal stance.

The event itself is tuned just right difficulty and mechanics wise. Sure we could shuffle them around or not, whatever lol.

My critical analysis suggests that the rewards are very lack luster compared to what could have been a perfect implementation.

Many of us have this mount already, either from looting or gtn.

The gear is fugly.

The housing decorations are ok, its nice that they are personnel....

The minimal amount of tokens rewarded as well as credits does not make this farm friendly.

Interest dropped 100% after getting Bowdarr, even the titles are lackluster and one bugged.

The boss fights were enjoyable though, and nice to just do straight bosses, and not mazes of railroaded adds to kill with button 1,2,3,4 rotation lol.

Gating grindy PVE content behind story chapters is just hilarious on level of John Cleese's silly walk.

I thought about doing Eternal Championship with different classes but I have only done the story with two different classes. I have no plans of doing the story with more characters than that. Well done BioWare. Well done. :o

Edited by Ruskaeth

My first time through, did not do it on the PTS. Fury Mara in 208 pvp gear (with augments and stim), 29 Pierce as a healer.

I died twice. I didn't look up the mechanics, just tried to figure it out as I went. Both of my deaths were due to me doing the mechanics completely wrong haha.

In round 6, I realized that I had to keep the three separated, so I set pierce to tank in hopes that he would get aggro on one of them while I burned another by myself. Well, I couldn't kill them fast enough and I died. Second attempt, I put Piece back to heals and simply grabbed one and pulled it away from the others, killed it, them moved on to the next one. Pierce seemed to do OK by himself.

Round 7, my strategy was to just kill the dude that rockets around the room and kite / stun grenade the slow dude. It was working great, but I didn't notice the adds until it was too late. Pierce was overwhelmed and died. Game over. Second attempt, I did the same thing, but made sure to kill the adds ASAP. I killed the rocket pack dude and noticed that the slow dude enraged, so maybe you are supposed to kill them both closer together. I was taking more damage (probably due to enrage), but since the dude was so slow, I just attacked, retreated and healed, then attacked again.

Round 10, when the dude came out of his walker, I had no idea if I was supposed to attack him or the walker. I noticed that the walker was re-generating faster than I could damage it, so I just dps'd the dude, killed the adds when they appeared, stayed out of the electric field as much as possible, and beat it. This one was definitely more challenging, almost killed me more than once.

P.S. Looking at the dulfy guide, it is clear that there are a number of things that I didn't do quite right or utilize fully, and I still beat it. Maybe with even worse gear this would be more of a challenge, but doable given proper mechanic utilization. I'm not sure that I have lesser gear laying around, but maybe I will try it again sometime with a really low companion.

It was mostly fun. I ran into problems with my Vanguard Tank on the Doom Droid, though. My dps output was too pathetic to reliably kill the Charging Probes before full charge. Death and Damnation ensued. Had to regear and respec before I succeeded. Probably bad rotation and whatnot.

My first time through, did not do it on the PTS. Fury Mara in 208 pvp gear (with augments and stim), 29 Pierce as a healer.

I died twice. I didn't look up the mechanics, just tried to figure it out as I went. Both of my deaths were due to me doing the mechanics completely wrong haha.

In round 6, I realized that I had to keep the three separated, so I set pierce to tank in hopes that he would get aggro on one of them while I burned another by myself. Well, I couldn't kill them fast enough and I died. Second attempt, I put Piece back to heals and simply grabbed one and pulled it away from the others, killed it, them moved on to the next one. Pierce seemed to do OK by himself.

Round 7, my strategy was to just kill the dude that rockets around the room and kite / stun grenade the slow dude. It was working great, but I didn't notice the adds until it was too late. Pierce was overwhelmed and died. Game over. Second attempt, I did the same thing, but made sure to kill the adds ASAP. I killed the rocket pack dude and noticed that the slow dude enraged, so maybe you are supposed to kill them both closer together. I was taking more damage (probably due to enrage), but since the dude was so slow, I just attacked, retreated and healed, then attacked again.

Round 10, when the dude came out of his walker, I had no idea if I was supposed to attack him or the walker. I noticed that the walker was re-generating faster than I could damage it, so I just dps'd the dude, killed the adds when they appeared, stayed out of the electric field as much as possible, and beat it. This one was definitely more challenging, almost killed me more than once.

P.S. Looking at the dulfy guide, it is clear that there are a number of things that I didn't do quite right or utilize fully, and I still beat it. Maybe with even worse gear this would be more of a challenge, but doable given proper mechanic utilization. I'm not sure that I have lesser gear laying around, but maybe I will try it again sometime with a really low companion.

Pretty much the same for me and my friend.

We went in completely blind, didn't tell each other what we did until after killing a boss...and we still cleared it easily after only a few hiccups. It was really disappointing. We were expecting to have to really learn mechanics and such. Basically, boss 10 is what we wanted for boss 1.

We are still holding some hope out for a tougher version. ( Well, more likely a heroic 4 that we would just 2 man. )

Mechanics wise, the difficulty level was probably equal to about half of the flashpoints. Don't stand in fire, and deal with 1 other mechanic. Final boss is a little more difficult. So...we felt it didn't really add anything new yet.

It was mostly fun. I ran into problems with my Vanguard Tank on the Doom Droid, though. My dps output was too pathetic to reliably kill the Charging Probes before full charge. Death and Damnation ensued. Had to regear and respec before I succeeded. Probably bad rotation and whatnot.

I died once to this guy for that reason (not killing little guys fast enough). This is on my guardian tank btw. I went in to each boss blind so I didn't realize it was an insta kill. Once I did as soon as I noticed the channel start

I would jump to the little probe dudes and kill asap. I beat it the 2nd attempt but it was close on some of the probe dudes, especially if I was having low focus from the beginning. That being said, this is the only dude I died to the whole thing. It's going to be interesting when I try this on my healers lol. I wasn't parsing during this but I normally get around 1800-2200 dps on my guardian.

like much of the game anti melee friendly after this garbage for so called solo i don't feel like even bothering with this game anymore :mad:

How is brawler anti melee friendly? Rest, well... I did it only on mara so far but I didn't feel any extra stress for melees besides clearing up the room after bosses die.

nobody talking about it yet? any impressions to share?

First the good:

- First impression was good because it was something new apart from mindless scripted event chapters.

- Some replay-ability for fun.

- Some bosses are fun and interesting at first glance.

- Enjoyed trying my hardest for <Sprint Champion> though it made me mad various times or I would make mistakes and die because I was using a DPS companion throughout 1-9. Which is more of a challenge especially doing boss #6

- Would like to have more challenges like this if Bioware is only going to focus on SOLO content, though I would like it to be harder than what we got.

That's pretty much it for the good.

The bad (alot more than good):

- Still no new raids instead we got this which could've easily made a new raid if some bosses were combined and beefed up a bit and it would've also made the community a lot happier than it currently is, but that's a rant for another time.

- Rewards. Let's face it doing group finder operations provides better with less effort specially on ev/kp days. This should've at least gave 208 token pieces or even at the very least 1 random 216 a week from the weekly to make it relevant. Even crafting 212's yields better gearing than this which is basically 0 effort at all.

- Locked behind 9 chapters of KOTFE though it only takes about 3 hours to space bar through it all, and considerably less with a stealth class it is an annoyance. Though, I clocked in around 1 hour 30 minute run through 1-9 on my scoundrel by running through trash to the end of instances and stealthing out to avoid it all.

- Bosses are a joke for the most part and can be done without a healing companion and burned to the ground before mechanics even happen. 6 is annoying and seemed buggy, I globalled myself a few times on gore/precision windows being within the circle for the "reflect" mechanic.

- The bosses should get more difficult as you progress as of right now the only fight that is even some what difficult is the 6th boss and that's just due to the sheer annoyance of having to be in the circle and they buff each other when too close, but that doesn't make it hard.

- The bosses don't really teach mechanics, it's more of a how fast can you burn them while avoiding everything else such as adds and mechanics because they despawn once the fight ends. This goes for fights 1-5, 8-10.

- <Sprint Champion> Though I obtained it, I feel it is broken because my times were faster than YouTube videos of the past week to obtain them as I saw some videos were 18 minutes and they received it where I timed it from terminal to last boss and out of combat and landed at 15-16 minutes many times. Finally got it on my less geared Marauder then my Sentinel which was more time overall than what I did on my full 224 sentinel.

My final thought's it was fun. I ran 8 classes through it to eternal legend over the week, though I had already taken 5 through KOTFE casually over the months of being bored and in down time from raiding and the last 3 I took through were 60 at the start and with double xp and all the bonuses it was like 1.3-1.5M xp per mission so by chapter 4 I was 65. I would like them to beef it up a bit maybe make a harder version of the fights, but then again i'd much prefer group content to raid with friends.

Edited by Lil_Fusion