IO Dot Spreading

KevinQCowart

So I had a APG a few minutes ago. I was safe on a platform above the cantina, looking down a 5 opponents busy with my other team mates, a nice tight cluster.

Incendiary Missile

Power Surge -> Fusion Missile (for instant)

Mag Shot -> Serrated Shot (for instant)

Explosive Dart

Death From Above

Sweeping Blasters

Sweeping Blasters

Sweeping Blasters

I did 8700 DPS, and I'm over heated. It felt great for once to enjoy the normal gameplay of a Madness Sorc. But they literally pull moves like this ALL MATCH and never come close to running out of force and get passively healed through the damage. The level of imbalance between Madness and other ranged DoT specs is bad work on Biowares part, shame on them.

I would be so happy if IO spread both dots with Fusion Missile and it was an instant manually placed reticle just like Death Field.

Addendum: Force Storm uses 10% of a Sorcs resource, Sweeping Blasters uses 33% of a Mercenaries resource. Death Field uses 8% of a Sorcs resource, Fusion Missile uses 15% of a mercenaries resource.

Edited by KevinQCowart

You can do the spreading ability first.

Someone else demoed it a while back but if you do:

Sticky Grenade -> Serrated Bolt then the dot lands just before the spreader goes off.

Same with Plasma Grenade -> Incendiary Round

Still sucks compared to any other dot spreading, but there we go.

Sticky Grenade -> Serrated Bolt then the dot lands just before the spreader goes off.

Good info Gyro...thank you sir. I've often wondered if it mattered.

One thing to note: hard-casting Fusion Missile into Incendiary Missile works. Incendiary Missile will hit just before Fusion Missile, enabling a spread.

However, using Power Surge to insta-cast a Fusion Missile means that you launch the missile at the start of the GCD, so it will hit before Incendiary Missile does and not spread.

Commando terminology:

Plasma Grenade -> Incendiary Round = good.

Tech Override -> Plasma Grenade -> Incendiary Round = bad.

Example in my video at 1:35 -

Edited by JarenWelen

One thing to note: hard-casting Fusion Missile into Incendiary Missile works. Incendiary Missile will hit just before Fusion Missile, enabling a spread.

However, using Power Surge to insta-cast a Fusion Missile means that you launch the missile at the start of the GCD, so it will hit before Incendiary Missile does and not spread.

Commando terminology:

Plasma Grenade -> Incendiary Round = good.

Tech Override -> Plasma Grenade -> Incendiary Round = bad.

Example in my video at 1:35 -

Thank you Jaren!

yeah this was one of the things i hated about IO... no control over the dot spread. You have to try random tricks to trigger it unlike any other spread skill. Changing this would help the spec a lot in PvP i think, well that and better heat mgmt and target swap ability :)

yeah this was one of the things i hated about IO... no control over the dot spread. You have to try random tricks to trigger it unlike any other spread skill. Changing this would help the spec a lot in PvP i think, well that and better heat mgmt and target swap ability :)

The tricks work. It is the price to pay for the best AoE in the game. Double spreading + burst that merc has is not balanced.

Edited by Aetideus

The tricks work. It is the price to pay for the best AoE in the game. Double spreading + burst that merc has is not balanced.

Please.

I have to put up with the slingers in our raids using their aoe and considerably better dotspreading every week, I know where merc multi target is and it's not at the top.

Please.

I have to put up with the slingers in our raids using their aoe and considerably better dotspreading every week, I know where merc multi target is and it's not at the top.

It is about pvp. Never seen a sniper doing better AoE than an IO in a WZ. IO can drop HP to <30% on the whole team. I ld like to see that from a sniper.

Edited by Aetideus

It is about pvp. Never seen a sniper doing better AoE than an IO in a WZ. IO can drop HP to <30% on the whole team. I ld like to see that from a sniper.

I would like to see IO dots taking 50,000 health off people but it's obviously not happening.

IO doesn't magically become better at multi target by doing it in PVP it still has a 4 ability dotspread and negative regen while doing it.

Virulence spreads both DoT using a total of two abilities in rotation and the more targets they hit the higher their regen, allowing easy swapping into single target or suppressive fire spam on the dotted targets.

Not buying it.

I would like to see IO dots taking 50,000 health off people but it's obviously not happening.

IO doesn't magically become better at multi target by doing it in PVP it still has a 4 ability dotspread and negative regen while doing it.

Virulence spreads both DoT using a total of two abilities in rotation and the more targets they hit the higher their regen, allowing easy swapping into single target or suppressive fire spam on the dotted targets.

Not buying it.

Since you are in TRE, done it a couple of times (when stars were aligned and did full rotation). 40-50k setting up a total of 5 dots /s + DfA + SwB. Rare but out of experience had happened with Pyro PT full rotation.

Hardly seen any Virulence lately in TRE. #1 target in pvp would find even more difficult to complete rotation (cull swapping) while IO is full mobile.

Edited by Aetideus

• 4 weeks later...

Not buying it.

The problem with IO dot spread is that everyone is constantly moving in warzones. The lengthy setup of two casts and a delayed damage will almost never hapoen against good players. And if you have 8 bads who clump up the entire match you dont need much advantage to take them out anyway. So any "supposed AoE superiority" would be negated by lack of circumstance to ever need it.

Its still far too clunky and random and requires 2 moves compared to one, but yes i tested this when i tested IO as well and it seemed to work.

Spread should be tied to an instant rotational skill like all others but it isnt becasue Merc i guess.

• 2 weeks later...