J.J. Adrams has spoken

mudtech

Rey's parents were not in Ep. VII.

Now time to speculate.

Was he telling the truth?

With Han, Leia and Luke all in Ep. VII, who then? Are they new or old characters (do we know them)?

Have fun. :p

Edited by mudtech

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen. You don't need to be related to someone famous, to be a hero!

Although Star Wars movies were so far a family drama. That wouldn't have surprised anyone if in the sequel - which happens to be in direct continuity, with the main protagonists still alive - the new heroine would have been related with the old one. It would have been fine, as it would have remained true with the main piece.

But yes, one can't re-use the same pattern over and over.

Using the "I'm your father" trick a second time or a third time would likely not have the same effect as everyone would have seen it coming from a mile away. (Even though twice is remotely acceptable)

There's a clarification from a few hours later:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/15/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-rey-parents?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Posted April 15 2016 — 9:42 PM EDT

UPDATE: After the Q&A, EW caught up with J.J. Abrams and he clarified his comments. The director says he was only trying to point out that The Force Awakens builds up the mystery of Rey’s parents without resolving it. “What I meant was that she doesn’t discover them in Episode VII. Not that they may not already be in her world,” Abrams said.

This clarification doesn't really exclude Luke from being her father, though I'm sure the original comment was meant to dissuade fans from believing Luke is her father.

Thankfully she's not the daughter of one of the main chars in the previous episodes. How lazy would that be.

Well, I vaguely recall someone suggesting Finn was related to Lando. I really hope that wasn't true because if one of the only black guys in SW is related to one of the only black guys it feels... well I don't want to say racist, but wrong somehow.

Well, I vaguely recall someone suggesting Finn was related to Lando. I really hope that wasn't true because if one of the only black guys in SW is related to one of the only black guys it feels... well I don't want to say racist, but wrong somehow.

I remember someone positing the wild theory that Finn was the illegitimate child of Lando and Leia. I very much doubt that is true.

You folks really think JJ has any idea about the backdrop of these characters or why certain things happened? I guarantee he never thinks beyond "whoa, what if we just brought back Luke's lightsaber that fell into a gas giant in Ep 5? That would be totally radical!" Remember, this is the guy who brought us Lost.

Instead of giving us a nice hero's journey for Rey, he turns her into a version of Luke Skywalker who, upon seeing Kenobi being killed by Vader, doesn't yell "no!" and desperately try to escape, but rather suddenly uses the force to call Kenobi's lightsaber to him and proceeds to kick Vader across the Death Star.

My guess is that one day, someone took some midichlorians and planted them in some soil on a force powerful planet. They grew into a midichlorian tree. Then they chopped the tree down and out of the tree emerged Rey.

Edited by gsummers

You folks really think JJ has any idea about the backdrop of these characters or why certain things happened? I guarantee he never thinks beyond "whoa, what if we just brought back Luke's lightsaber that fell into a gas giant in Ep 5? That would be totally radical!"

To be fair, the idea that Luke's lightsabre (and severed hand) did not fall into the gas giant has been around since pretty much the start of the old expanded universe.

The thing we see fall out the bottom of Cloud City in Empire is not the hand or the lightsabre.

In the old continuity, the hand & lightsabre ended up in a junk pile somewhere on Cloud City rather than falling out of the bottom. For whatever reason, they were given to the Emperor, who put them in his secret storehouse of trophies and useful stuff, then Joruus C'Baoth used the hand to make a clone of Luke. Mara Jade killed the clone and inherited the lightsabre.

In the new continuity... no clue how the lightsabre got to Maz's place for Rey to find. :rolleyes:

Just as Khan wasn't going to be in the second Star Trek movie?

Rey has to be a Skywalker or the lightsaber scene in 7 does not make sense. Also, Kenobi is a hardliner when it comes to the jedi way, so I doubt he would hook up with someone and have a child. Not when he had the chance to do that in the cartoon. which is considered canon, but denied himself because of the Jedi way.

with that said, I'm wondering if will we get to see Mara Jade, and if she was the one that took Rey away.

Edited by cool-dude

Just as Khan wasn't going to be in the second Star Trek movie?

Rey has to be a Skywalker or the lightsaber scene in 7 does not make sense. Also, Kenobi is a hardliner when it comes to the jedi way, so I doubt he would hook up with someone and have a child. Not when he had the chance to do that in the cartoon. which is considered canon, but denied himself because of the Jedi way.

with that said, I'm wondering if will we get to see Mara Jade, and if she was the one that took Rey away.

Abrams and Disney don't give a crap about the Clone Wars, Rebels, cannon or not. They will do just enough not to cross the story already told there, but plot incongruity is not a concern. These folks are creating a new Star Wars of theirs.

Abrams and Disney don't give a crap about the Clone Wars, Rebels, cannon or not. They will do just enough not to cross the story already told there, but plot incongruity is not a concern. These folks are creating a new Star Wars of theirs.

I cannot say i'll be mad, because it's just a movie, but I will be bothered if Rey is not a Skywalker. I'm one of the few that believe Star Wars is about the Skywalkers. That would be like making a Batman movie that had nothing to do with Batman or Bruce Wayne.

Rey has to be a Skywalker or the lightsaber scene in 7 does not make sense.

To me, it makes plenty of sense even without Rey being a Skywalker-Solo.

People generally consider the new trilogy as a mental, ideological successor to the classic trilogy rather than the Lucas prequels. In that sense, although the "lineage" of Jedi master-padawanship in canon is Yoda-Dooku-Quigon-Obiwan-Anakin/Luke, if we take into account only the classic trilogy, which the new trilogy directly takes after, then this lineage of Jedi master-padawanship can be pretty much simplified as Yoda-Obiwan-Luke. Those are the three masters in the classic trilogy, which is also a part of the continuation of the Jedi in a new era. After the Jedi Purge, the Jedi order begins again when Yoda and Obiwan passes forth the legacy Luke.

Of the three, Luke is still alive. So, when the Force 'awakens' again after it went dormant some time after the events of EP3, with Rey being its catalyst, which Jedi are direct predecessors to Rey? Is it really surprising to see Yoda, Luke, and Obiwan appearing in Ret's vision?

Why would everyone appearing in every force vision the Jedis or Siths have had for more than tens of thousands of years, be always their relatives? :D

I cannot say i'll be mad, because it's just a movie, but I will be bothered if Rey is not a Skywalker. I'm one of the few that believe Star Wars is about the Skywalkers. That would be like making a Batman movie that had nothing to do with Batman or Bruce Wayne.

Then the series would probably have been named "Skywalker Wars", not "Star Wars" :D

This clarification doesn't really exclude Luke from being her father, though I'm sure the original comment was meant to dissuade fans from believing Luke is her father.
Better be some impressive CGI fight scenes if she's not a Skywalker. The story is thin enough as it is.

And they better not be scenes of Ren taking out his temper tantrum on inanimate objects. We get it; he's immature.

In the new continuity... no clue how the lightsabre got to Maz's place for Rey to find. :rolleyes:
Maz found it. She's force sensitive. Can't recall if that was suggested in the movie, or if that came from some companion media, in particular that props book which seems to be the best hope for integrating EU into the new cannon. Edited by Ansultares

Then the series would probably have been named "Skywalker Wars", not "Star Wars" :D

J J Abrams has stated that Star Wars is about the Sky-walker family and how their actions affect the galaxy. Before that, George Lucas had originally called Star Wars " The Adventures Of Luke Starkiller". After the prequels, he stated that the whole series is about the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

Even so, Considering all the movies have been about a Skywalker, even the new one, It would not feel right to have a Star Wars trilogy film about a person that is not a Skywalker. That is what spin-offs are for. But again, I'm pretty confident that Rey is a Skywalker.

Edited by cool-dude

And they better not be scenes of Ren taking out his temper tantrum on inanimate objects. We get it; he's immature.

Now that he expressed his inner moral dilemma, then took a turn, performing a major, definitive action...

...Now I expect him to become much colder... And stable.

Akin to how the instable Anakin became the straightforward Vader. (Although it was all built on a lie then)

Edited by Altheran

J J Abrams has stated that Star Wars is about the Sky-walker family and how their actions affect the galaxy. Before that, George Lucas had originally called Star Wars " The Adventures Of Luke Starkiller". After the prequels, he stated that the whole series is about the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

Even so, Considering all the movies have been about a Skywalker, even the new one, It would not feel right to have a Star Wars trilogy film about a person that is not a Skywalker. That is what spin-offs are for. But again, I'm pretty confident that Rey is a Skywalker.

I can accept that the movies be based around the Skywalker lineage. But I cannot agree that Star Wars is about the Skywalkers. Back in the 70's it could be whatever Lucas wanted it to be, now it's grown a much bigger deal. I mean, what the hell are the Skywalkers to us in the Old Republic.

Edited by richiesilva

I can accept that the movies be based around the Skywalker lineage. But I cannot agree that Star Wars is about the Skywalkers. Back in the 70's it could be whatever Lucas wanted it to be, now it's grown a much bigger deal. I mean, what the hell are the Skywalkers to us in the Old Republic.

You mean the continuity that doesn't exist anymore?

Star Wars may not be about the Skywalkers, but the main trilogies certainly are.