Simple Key Binding Set Up

lavatsunami

This guide is really for people looking to key bind for the first time and wanting something simple to try.

I will also state that this set up works particularly well for anyone who has already learned to touch type.

I designed my binds around the touch typing premise that your fingers on your left hand naturally sit on a,s,d,f.

Binds:

Movement:

For movement, I do 'd' for move forward, and then turn with the mouse.

Strafe:

I don't have strafe binds set up, but you could use any of the binds below.

Easily reachable binds:

a, s, f, g, x, c, v, r, t, q, w, 2.

shift s, shift f, shift g, shift r, shift t, shift w, shift c, shift v, shift 2.

This gives you a total of of 21 binds to start with. I have a couple mouse buttons I use to make up the rest, but 21 binds is enough to get a simple and effective setup.

Edited by lavatsunami

This guide is really for people looking to key bind for the first time and wanting something simple to try.

I will also state that this set up works particularly well for anyone who has already learned to touch type.

I designed my binds around they touch typing premise that your fingers on your left hand naturally sit on a,s,d,f.

Binds:

Movement:

For movement, I do 'd' for move forward, and then turn with the mouse.

Strafe:

I don't have strafe binds set up, but you could use any of the binds below.

Easily reachable binds:

a, s, f, g, x, c, v, r, t, q, w, 2.

shift s, shift f, shift g, shift r, shift t, shift w, shift c, shift v, shift 2.

This gives you a total of of 21 binds to start with. I have a couple mouse buttons I use to make up the rest, but 21 binds is enough to get a simple and effective setup.

Everyone uses different binds and what they are comfortable with , Honestly , Every person I've seen who streams , has keybinds that makes me want to puke . Thats just me , I don't think any other Marauder Maps Massacre to 1.

Your set-up is really NOT noob friendly considering the people who are learning to keybind are probably the same people who click and keyboard turn meaning they use WASD to move for the most part. If you plan to make a guide it needs to revolve around that you cannot expect someone who is keyboard turning to use a completely different setup .

Edited by tunnelhottie

Lol did you not read the first sentence I wrote? Obviously different set ups work for different people. I made this thread for someone who wants to try it for the first time with an easy setup. Maybe they'll change it. This setup works wonders for anyone familiar with touch typing.

Lol did you not read the first sentence I wrote? Obviously different set ups work for different people. I made this thread for someone who wants to try it for the first time with an easy setup. Maybe they'll change it. This setup works wonders for anyone familiar with touch typing.

Yea but you do realise most of the people who don't have 90% of their **** mapped are probably keyboard turners as well. Expecting someone to change the way they move while setting up a ton of keybinds isn't noob friendly at all.

20 binds is probably the most simple setup ever, also considering that every single bind is something your hands instinctively know how to do if you touch type.

Kind of funny, I expected the opposite with people telling me that's way too few binds. Most bind setups are closer to 40.

20 binds is probably the most simple setup ever, also considering that every single bind is something your hands instinctively know how to do if you touch type.

Kind of funny, I expected the opposite with people telling me that's way too few binds. Most bind setups are closer to 40.

Its not the binds , its the fact that most people that move with WASD aka new players will have to completely relearn something aka how to move. Its a step by step process . Most people don't learn how to bind and move at the same time.

Honestly its amusing in this day and era that devs make a game that requires that amt of keybinds, its beyond ridiculous, one reason I dislike tab-target games.

A game such as Smite is alot better and requires aim, skill, and game knowledge to do well instead of look at me I'm better at pushing my 10000000 keybinds then the next guy.

At least SWG had marcos.

It's really funny that this keeps coming up because I consider 20 keybinds to be about as minimal as a keybinding setup could possibly be.

I think my binds are like 6-8 damage moves, 1-2 offensive cds, 3-4 defensive cds, 3-4 utilities, and a trinket and medpacs and adrenals to pop. That's pretty minimalistic. The less moves the less counter play you have, so it takes away from the complexity (skill) of it.

Everyone uses different binds and what they are comfortable with , Honestly , Every person I've seen who streams , has keybinds that makes me want to puke . Thats just me , I don't think any other Marauder Maps Massacre to 1.

Your set-up is really NOT noob friendly considering the people who are learning to keybind are probably the same people who click and keyboard turn meaning they use WASD to move for the most part. If you plan to make a guide it needs to revolve around that you cannot expect someone who is keyboard turning to use a completely different setup .

I know myself and like 3 other swtor streamers all use Razer Naga's. That means that the 12 side buttons directly coorelate with the DEFAULT keybind set up that swtor gives everyone (1 throught =, with = being 12 on the Naga).

Just fyi, just because it looks like it's the default keybind doesn't mean that people click lol.

Razer Naga master race.

I use all my ` through + row, basically `,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,-,=,

Then I use all my F keys F1 through F12

I also use my insert, delete, home, end, page up and down keys

and lastly I use my R + F

Yeh, imo, this is a really bad setup. You can't use shift with this setup well at all. I guess it really depends if you know how to touch type or not. If you don't, it may not be hard to switch to something different.

I know myself and like 3 other swtor streamers all use Razer Naga's. That means that the 12 side buttons directly coorelate with the DEFAULT keybind set up that swtor gives everyone (1 throught =, with = being 12 on the Naga).

Just fyi, just because it looks like it's the default keybind doesn't mean that people click lol.

Razer Naga master race.

Yeh, the way to 'cheat' is to get a mouse like this. Then it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, I use a Naga as itself along with shift + each of its buttons and ketboard keys 1-7 and F1 to F7 on a smaller keyboard that my fingers can easily reach with the pinky to hit shift, tab and ~.

Was going to switch and use just the nage and add the alt and ctrl modifiers to use the keyboard for movement, but that 1-= and F1 to F12 is a hold over from MMOs past and I just have a hard time moving to that completely so I have strafe left on V and right on B and leave the mouse for forward and turning.

Yeh, the way to 'cheat' is to get a mouse like this. Then it doesn't really matter.

PRIOR to my naga though, i personally used:

Q, E, R, T

Shift + Q, Shift + E, Shift + R, Shift + T

F, Shift + F

1-5 and those shift modifiers

and lastly:

Mouse Scroll Wheel Up

Mouse Scroll Wheel Down

Mouse Button 3 (Clicking the scroll wheel)

Yeh, imo, this is a really bad setup. You can't use shift with this setup well at all. I guess it really depends if you know how to touch type or not. If you don't, it may not be hard to switch to something different.

This setup works for me because i have used it in so many games that I know it like the back of my head and thus changing it would take alot of work.

I don't think any other Marauder Maps Massacre to 1.

Lol m8, my Mara is (using naga btw):

1 - Massacre

2 - Ravage

3 - Dual Saber throw

4 - Devestating blast

5 - Smash

6 - Battering Assault

7 - Viscious throw

Mouse Button 3 (scroll wheel button on mouse) - Leap

Shift + Mouse button 3 - Gore

__________________________________________________________________________________

An important note here is that just for me personally, I have universal keybinds for ALL toons, meaning every toon has this lay out:

5 - AoE Ability with a cool down

Shift + 5 - 4 second hard stun

Shift + 6 Spammable AoE

F and Shift + F - Medpac/Adrenal

= and Shift + = - Taunt and AoE taunt on all applicable classes

This list continues, but basically every class has interrupt in the same spot, leap like abilities on the key bind (Leap, Force Speed, etc) and so on and so forth so that switching between classes is a breeze.

This setup works for me because i have used it in so many games that I know it like the back of my head and thus changing it would take alot of work.

Understandable. Technically touch typing is just muscle memory anyway, so if thats what you remember, then that's going to work best for you.

Lol m8, my Mara is (using naga btw):

1 - Massacre

2 - Ravage

3 - Dual Saber throw

4 - Devestating blast

5 - Smash

6 - Battering Assault

7 - Viscious throw

Mouse Button 3 (scroll wheel button on mouse) - Leap

Shift + Mouse button 3 - Gore

__________________________________________________________________________________

An important note here is that just for me personally, I have universal keybinds for ALL toons, meaning every toon has this lay out:

5 - AoE Ability with a cool down

Shift + 5 - 4 second hard stun

Shift + 6 Spammable AoE

F and Shift + F - Medpac/Adrenal

= and Shift + = - Taunt and AoE taunt on all applicable classes

This list continues, but basically every class has interrupt in the same spot, leap like abilities on the key bind (Leap, Force Speed, etc) and so on and so forth so that switching between classes is a breeze.

Yes, if you have multiple classes, universal binds are a must. I do the same thing with every category of move you can have. stuns, interrupts, defensive cds, offensive cds, trinket, medpacs, boosts, aoe, etc. they all share the same binds.

Razer Naga master race.

Nah, Steelseries Merc Stealth Master Race. We get 1 - 11, (no need for = because that's always regen ability) and we get quicker access to rfgvcbt keys, along with tab, shift, alt AND control. Now, Merc Stealth + Razer Naga = God Form

Nah, Steelseries Merc Stealth Master Race. We get 1 - 11, (no need for = because that's always regen ability) and we get quicker access to rfgvcbt keys, along with tab, shift, alt AND control. Now, Merc Stealth + Razer Naga = God Form

I just checked that out, it looks *********** amazing. I may even get one today. You should try and get some commission from them, lol.