Just what are you hiding Bioware?

DarthMaulUK

With just over 1 month until Open beta arrives on October 20th, and hardly any information STILL released to those who actually pay and play your game - what exactly are you hiding?

Guild Wars 2 has an expansion due on Oct 23 and has released a ton of information on the changes to game play, classes, cities and other relevant parts of the game.

Blizzard has an expansion with no actual release date but it was simply information over load.

Bioware has an expansion with a release date of Oct 20th(open beta) and Oct 27th(full release) and the only information out there is you play as an 'Outlander', have 'story' and a new companion.

Not looking at the information datamined, doesn't it just seem so strange that the lack of information is creating more problems than actually solving? You should be singing and dancing about a new expansion, getting the community excited about new features but no - nada.

So what ARE you hiding? Whats the game changer that will really upset the community?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know. Maybe go through the multiple threads about how the game is failing or doomed, or I want more information and see what has been discussed daily since the announcement of the new expansion.

Other then what is officially released like on dulfy.net, doubt your going to get a response from BW if that is what your asking. Info will be released when they feel like it.

You can ask all you want but wouldn't get hopes for a response though.

Don't know. Maybe go through the multiple threads about how the game is failing or doomed, or I want more information and see what has been discussed daily since the announcement of the new expansion.

Other then what is officially released like on dulfy.net, doubt your going to get a response from BW if that is what your asking. Info will be released when they feel like it.

You can ask all you want but wouldn't get hopes for a response though.

I know all that ;) lol. It will be the trade marked 'Soon'. But 'Soon' is just around the corner but unlike the endless threads and posted about 'better than cross server' - this one won't go away as it actually has a date!

The doubters like myself need to be silenced and only actual information can do that.

What do you want to know?

They told us a few things:

1) New Companions

2) More story, some background

3) A new trailer

4) Companions are going to be discussed probably this week or next

5) New planet

6) New pvp rewards

What more do you want? Are you hoping they spoil everything now story wise? Do you want the full breakdown of mechanics now?

Just be patient, it will come, you will still be unhappy, and you will still stay subbed just like everyone else who demands information.

It would be good if they`re hiding something :p

But no ... they showed the whole expansion in just 1 small video to us. KotFE will suck!

Isn't that like saying that if i watch a trailer for a movie, they showed the whole movie and that it will suck? :rak_03:

EDIT: To the OP, i would like to see some proof that what other games release about their expansion is in any way more then what BW releases. I just glanced at the official WOW page about their expansion aswell as SWTOR's, and i dont really see much difference in what is posted there.

As im not an WOW player, i did not check their forums or other info, that was released elsewhere. And i would not google anything about GW2, if i were payed to do so. :eek:

Edited by Tallwyn

7 weeks.

Hold your horses.

7 weeks and you still expect people to be patient? That is too funny. Its the reason why I put Guild Wars 2 and Blizzard in my OP. Which is why I am thinking they have something to hide.

It's simple. They are remaining as quiet as possible to cash in on the final months Subscriptions in September, then probably week commencing October 1 they will release all the stuff that will make some people cancel.

The key changes I want to know about is combat and PvP. And there will be changes.

But from a common sense point of view (hard for fanboys here to use that, I totally understand) - but if you have a GOOD expansion, with GOOD stuff then why not discuss it?

New Abilities - the devs COULD have shown off new abilities in that dire stream but no. It wouldn't reveal story, it wouldn't have been a spoiler. They could have talked about some of the changes to combat.

However. If you have a BAD expansion with changes players will not like, you simply do NOT talk about until the very end. Which is the situation we have here.

SOR was announced in October with a December release date and we already knew everything 2 months prior to release.

With just over 1 month until Open beta arrives on October 20th, and hardly any information STILL released to those who actually pay and play your game - what exactly are you hiding?

Guild Wars 2 has an expansion due on Oct 23 and has released a ton of information on the changes to game play, classes, cities and other relevant parts of the game.

Blizzard has an expansion with no actual release date but it was simply information over load.

Bioware has an expansion with a release date of Oct 20th(open beta) and Oct 27th(full release) and the only information out there is you play as an 'Outlander', have 'story' and a new companion.

Not looking at the information datamined, doesn't it just seem so strange that the lack of information is creating more problems than actually solving? You should be singing and dancing about a new expansion, getting the community excited about new features but no - nada.

So what ARE you hiding? Whats the game changer that will really upset the community?

It's about getting the interest and information to peak at the right time.

I suspect for your general player (ie one that doesn't spend a lot of time on the forums or theorycrafting) keeping the bulk of information as close to the release date of the new content is more desirable.

1) New Companions

3) A new trailer

5) New planet

6) New pvp rewards

What more do you want? Are you hoping they spoil everything now story wise? Do you want the full breakdown of mechanics now?

Just be patient, it will come, you will still be unhappy, and you will still stay subbed just like everyone else who demands information.

Ah, you. I know your type. i used to be your type, to some extent. Valiantly defending the game you play and love.

Unfortunately, the facts are there. There are so many basic and fundamental questions Bioware still hasn't answered. We know a lot of the answers are already there, and we know that almost every (if not every) other high-end MMO on the market has a more open dev team than SWTOR does.

I'm sure this isn't your first game, but it may be your first MMO. The fundamental truth is this: the examples given are not just names. They are real games with real dev teams giving real information about real content updates. When you keep yourself confined to SWTOR, even if you are enjoying it, you're still missing out on the realization that the SWTOR dev team is lacking in a lot of ways. Every possible explanation for a wait of this long without information boils down to one single root cause: incompetence. In fact, I would go so far as to say that since they said they'd be more transparent, they've been less so.

Don't let your fanboyism get in the way of you seeing the truth. That's not to say this isn't a fun game, but the PR department is making awful decisions right now, and it's not helping anything or anyone.

PS: And no, this is not Eric Musco's fault, nor anyone on the Community team. They can only tell us the information they've been given. They're constantly on the forums reading all the questions, and probably begging PR to let them answer them. Unfortunately, they're not the ones calling the shots. Neither are the devs, most likely. If I had to guess, I would say that KotFE has been in production for a long time, and I bet they mainly focused on the story and all the decision arcs and complicated plot stuff. The problem is, now they're racing at the last minute trying to finalize technical systems like crafting mechanics and ops boss rebalancing and combat TTK adjustment. Assuming this is the case, and I believe it certainly might be, that's still not the dev team's fault. Whoever's calling the shots and managing the teams is the one who's to blame. Most likely, the reason they aren't sharing information is because they don't have enough information to share yet, because they can't get it finalized. It's only now that we're facing the results of that bad decision (assuming that's what happened).

Will still have NO confirmation on what is going to change around classes/PVP and how L65 OPS are going to work.

Last week we got told "THE FLOOD GATES OPENED" as Eric put it, but beyond the companion details we got nothing seen but Datamined information. That was last Wednesday and no more informational "water" in those gates coming out it appears.

WHEN we going to see CRAFTING details? I'm partially excited by what I've seen mined, but I want the official details on WHAT we can/can't do with crafting. How are all the mats changing, where do we get the new stuff, nodes are now what? I hate / love datamined stuff, but it really makes you guys look very silly when it comes out before you say anything.

Where are the DETAILS around the 2 extra character slots? Are we still getting the Legacy Datacrons that was being worked? How about that "Better than Cross Server" solution (That might or might not be included)?

Sorry.. but OP has it right.. BLIZZARD dumped a TON of information the DAY they announced the next Xpac. We got.... to be blunt CRAP information and 2 months later still not has been very forth coming. I have to admit if they are not "Hiding" some super secret item then that have a crappy marketing plan for the deployment.

The key changes I want to know about is combat and PvP. And there will be changes.

New Abilities - the devs COULD have shown off new abilities in that dire stream but no. It wouldn't reveal story, it wouldn't have been a spoiler. They could have talked about some of the changes to combat.

However. If you have a BAD expansion with changes players will not like, you simply do NOT talk about until the very end. Which is the situation we have here.

SOR was announced in October with a December release date and we already knew everything 2 months prior to release.

Ok, i dont really want to go and check, what is known about combat changes in WOW or GW2, as i dont really care about those games. Stating that "they have so much more info out" needs some backing up im afraid. Some links are in order.

SOR was the largest change to the game since release, combatwise, and they did show what they were changing. KotFE is more about story and companions, and not so much about changing combat, besides adding a few new abilitys.

Its obvious that they show off class changes in SOR, as that was the biggest part of that expansion, which does not seem to be so for KotFE. Just from a marketing standpoint, it would seem logical, that they would not focus on the new "fancy" abilitys they gave to the new classes, but rather show off what the expansion is all about.

I really dont get why anyone would ever use an argument like this: "they dont show us stuff, cause they know "we" will hate it". Its just stupid. Do you really belive that they would willingly do changes that they know in advance a large portion of their playerbase would hate and leave the game for?

Its unfortunately the other way around. They belive its the right change and they find out later, its not...

And im not arguing that they make the right decisions or not, im saying, its hard to tell if the community will like something or not.

This is especially true with story. I mean just look at GOT... they kill off a beloved character, and alot of ppl start raging. What do you think would happen, if *insert a companion you really like* would get killed off and the player could not prevent it... Would you show this off in your expansion trailer? :)

The problem is, everyone defending bioware uses the same irrelevant retort.

Something along the lines of, "no more spoilers (pertaining to story content)"... But thats not the information "most" people are asking for.

"Most" people want technical information. This type of information should have been already explained by bioware. Anything that drastically changes the current game state, needs to be passed onto the consumer earlier so that they can brace (or prepair) for the expansions arrival.

Since the OP used wow as an example, I will aswell. For Warlords of Draenor, announcements were made many months before release- mostly detailing stat trunication. This is a very major change in the game state- so they released that info onto the web.

This new SWToR expansion is bringing in many game state changes, which of course people will get paranoid about. People dont like change, history has proven this time and time again. They love advancement, but hate change. If the changes were for the better, you would think Bioware would vocalize that into and ride the Hype Train. But since they havent told us much, it would imply things are about to get real bad.

Things might be so bad in the new expansion, that they know they cant possibly charge people for it... That might be why its free to subscribers.

Edited by DNGDangerous

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/legion/#home

New class with new abilitys, new item class, new region, new npcs, new pvp reward system, new world boss.

That is already more "new" stuff announced than what swtor will add to the game with KOTFE.

I think the problem with KOTFE is the following: other than story there won't be much new. We already know they removed NiM-OPs, Companion gearing and some item stats.

Edited by Neglience

1) New Companions

3) A new trailer

5) New planet

6) New pvp rewards

pretty much what this guy said . new planets new pvp rewards crafting and companion changes and 1 new move for each class and a big healthy size ............. RESCALED PVE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok basically...

What I didnt want to know, "story spoilers" which of course, is most of the info thats out there (sadly). You would think they would keep their story a secret...

What I do want to know: (and would have expected bioware to have said).

1) Ops changes- since everything is being re-scaled, will all OPs (of the same difficulty) have the same reward?

2) class balances- something vague like "hey, dont worry, we heard your cries for class balancing, and we are working on it". I dont even need to be told what these changes are- just an acknowledgement of class disparity would probably be enough.

3) if stats are being reworked or not (this is huge info that the player based needs to know. Is all my gear just worthless junk now?).

4) crafting changes- i dont really care but, "if" stats are getting reworked, then this probably impacts crafters heavily.

5) companion info (this has been adressed- but i wanted to put it on the list for documentation).

1) New Companions

3) A new trailer

5) New planet

6) New pvp rewards

I won't be surprised if the LI's aren't talked about.

Guess it is time for me to finally say it:

I got a bad feeling about this!

Usually, I don't agree with DarthMaul from the UK, but I am with him on this one. It's exactly what I asked myself as well for weeks: What are they hiding? I find it very odd that they make such a big secret out of everything.

Some weeks ago I feared that they would change basically everything and the game as we know wouldn't exist anymore.

Now, I changed my mindset to: Except for some minor crafting and companion changes (and some renaming of current stats), everything will stay exactly the same. KotFE will be a new game put on top of KotOR. You can swap from game to game. KotFE will have zero impact on the game world of KotOR. It happens outside of the actual game world.

So, basically that would mean that they don't tell anything because there is nothing to tell (except for story aspects which would be spoilers).

And Eric said a blog entry about the crafting / companion changes will come soon. So, this is basically all they have to tell us and it is coming (eventually, like dragons in Game of Thrones or the pizza for Butters and Scott Malkinson).

Edited by JattaGin