Really want to see for Crew Missions New Outcome: Critical Failure

forcee

Outcome line: Critical Success-Success-Failure-Critical Failure

Critical failure proportion replaces some of the failure proportion, on the deeper rolls.

A critical failure is exactly just like a standard failure (no additional penalties), except the dialogue is different. The message on screen will read: “The mission was a critical failure. (Companion name) was extremely unsuccessful and has returned.” There should be new speeches for companions who critically fail the mission (a few examples):

T7-01: "Mission=Terrible Failure."

Kira Carsen: "That turned out unfortunate."

Doc: "I thought I'd get it right. How could I let you down like that?"

Sergeant Rusk: "Objective failed. I apologize that things turned out worse than expected."

Lord Scourge: "The target was just beyond my reach. I hope you understand."

Corso Riggs: "You weren't there. It was awful."

Bowdaar: "Bowdaar apologizes for this clear failure."

Risha: "No luck at all."

Akaavi Spar: "I have not succeeded, nor have I come close."

Guss Tono: "Sorry. I think I made a mess back there."

Qyzen Fess: "My task had a shameful end."

Thadran Cedrax: "I've probably made a miscalculation."

Zenith: “Obviously, that didn’t go anywhere near as expected, much less planned.”

Lieutenant Felix Iresso: “Mission failure is an understatement.”

Nadia Grell: “Where did I go wrong?”

Alric Jorgan: "Not so good news."

Elara Dorne: "Mission Failed. A lot of things went wrong."

M1-4X: "The assignment was a critical failure."

Tanno Vik: “I’m not very fond of seemingly impossible missions.”

Sergeant Yuun: “I’ve expected some trouble, but not like this.”

C2-N2: "It seems even the best droids can make significant errors during simple tasks. I'm sorry for the inconvenience master."

Vette: "It's not my fault it turned ugly."

Malavai Quinn: "Forgive me my lord, but I experienced way too many difficulties."

Jaesa Wilsam: “There was nothing left for me my lord.”

Lieutenant Pierce: “That could not have gone worse.”

Broonmark: “A test that you’ve asked far too much.”

Kaliyo Djannis: "I don't get paid enough for dirty work."

Vector: “Um, what was I supposed to do again?”

Doctor Lokin: “Even with my best efforts, I could not overcome a major setback.”

Ensign Raina Temple: “You definitely will not like the results.”

SCORPIO: “Above one-hundred percent failure reported.”

Khem Val: "I find no pleasure in unforgiving tasks."

Andronikos Revel: “It’s no good. I wasn’t getting anywhere with this.”

Ashara Zavros: “It went poorly from the start.”

Talos Drellik: “I don’t think that was my best work. It’s more like my worst.”

Xalek: “Neither of us knew how difficult the task really was.”

Mako: "Well that turned out to be a bust."

Gault: "You never know when a job becomes too much to handle."

Torian Cadera: "No good."

Blizz: "Uh, Blizz forget what to do, and mess up pretty badly... very sorry."

Skadge: "I doubt you’d have done any better."

2V-R8: "Oh, master, there were serious issues! Please don’t dismantle me!"

HK-51: "Major difficulties encountered."

Treek: “Sorry chief. The task was beyond my ability.”

Nico Okarr: "Worst possible way to lose an investment."

Lana Beniko: "At best, it didn't go quite as planned."

Koth Vortena: "I expected some difficulties, but that was ridiculous!"

Senya Tirall: "You overestimate my abilities."

Theron Shan: "I didn't think it could be that hard."

Arcann: "And I though these trivial tasks were beneath me."

Jakarro: "Even a smart droid has no chance with me."

Edited by forcee

Yeah, some of the dialogue from a critically failed crew mission could be humorous. I would really appreciate it if they would add the critical failed outcome in Knights of the Fallen Empire.

A critical failure is exactly just like a standard failure (no additional penalties), except the dialogue is different.

This detail is what makes it even approachably reasonable. No impact on overall return rates, just an occasional humorous comment from the returning companion. For this, I salute and support!

I like the idea, but I wonder if it's significant enough to warrant Bioware dragging voice actors into the studio again?

Maybe if they added something to the system, like the ability to intervene on the crafting mission (which seems tedious, IMHO), that might be enough reason to update the companion comments.

You'd get things like:

Kira: So, can I get a hand, here?

Doc: I'm great, but not that great. Care to lend your talents?

T7: Mission = Jeopardized. Jedi = Assist?

Scourge: You overestimate my abilities, Jedi. Get it yourself, if it's so important.

Rusk: Trouble, here. Not sure I can finish this on my own.

C2-D2: Master, even the best droid requires help, every now and then.

HK-51: Statement: It appears I have miscalculated. The mission is still salvageable, though, if you'd care to lend a hand.

I like the idea, but I wonder if it's significant enough to warrant Bioware dragging voice actors into the studio again?

Maybe if they added something to the system, like the ability to intervene on the crafting mission (which seems tedious, IMHO), that might be enough reason to update the companion comments.

You'd get things like:

Kira: So, can I get a hand, here?

Doc: I'm great, but not that great. Care to lend your talents?

T7: Mission = Jeopardized. Jedi = Assist?

Scourge: You overestimate my abilities, Jedi. Get it yourself, if it's so important.

Rusk: Trouble, here. Not sure I can finish this on my own.

C2-D2: Master, even the best droid requires help, every now and then.

HK-51: Statement: It appears I have miscalculated. The mission is still salvageable, though, if you'd care to lend a hand.

Perhaps for bounty hunter:

Mako: Well, that could have definitely gone better with you help.

Gault: You can't always get what you want. Not without giving me a hand, at least.

Torian: Couldn't do it alone.

Blizz: Uh, Blizz alone forget what to do, and mess up pretty badly. Very sorry.

Skadge: Give me a hand, runt.

2V-R8: Oh Master, there were serious issues that required your input! Please don't dismantle me!

Treek: The challenge is too much for me alone.

Edited by forcee

• 3 weeks later...

For Smuggler:

Corso Riggs: "Um, I could use a little help here."

Bowdaar: "Bowdaar unable to fulfill bargain without a hand."

Risha: "Can I have some help with this task here?"

Avaaki Sparr: "I don't think I can to this alone. Sorry."

Guss Tono: "Sorry Captain. I really could use you assistance in this job."

For Jedi Consular:

Qyzen Fess: "A little help. Less glory is better than no glory."

Tharan Cedrax: "They say two heads are better than one."

Zenith: "Problems. Need a hand here."

Felix Iresso: "I think I've lost track. Can you help me?"

Nadia Grell: "Can you offer me some assistance?"

• 9 months later...

What would the point of a critical failure be? Failing the mission already returns nothing; do you want your companion to die if they critically fail?

Because that's what a critical failure is. It's rolling that 1 on a d20, and you kill yourself instead of doing what you wanted to do.

What would the point of a critical failure be? Failing the mission already returns nothing; do you want your companion to die if they critically fail?

Because that's what a critical failure is. It's rolling that 1 on a d20, and you kill yourself instead of doing what you wanted to do.

Added comedy value, according to the original idea.

Added comedy value, according to the original idea.

Yeah, a critical failure only gives a different dialogue, no other consequences. Adding this won't affect companion success rate, it turns some of the failure rate into critical failure rate.

And also note that the VA for Tanno Vik is dead, so getting him into the studio may well be hard, and would definitely be unproductive.

But he has been dead a while so they would probably just use the guy they replaced the original with from Makeb onwards.

Do you even know how your idea of a critical failure will turn out? Compare that to the comedy value of my idea.

Sounds about right, either that or critically failed companions come back hurt and won't work for a while.

Then the player can be sued over working conditions and you loose 25,000 credits in compensation.

Edited by Jedi_riches

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds about right, either that or critically failed companions come back hurt and won't work for a while.

Then the player can be sued over working conditions and you loose 25,000 credits in compensation.

Do you all know how that would turn out? This would make crew missions quite undesirable! Just leave it with a different dialogue, okay.

• 2 weeks later...

Who really listens to the voice overs for mission success/failure anyway? The billionth and one time comp x says y is just as annoying as the 3rd through billionth time they say it...

Who here doesn't turn their sound off when they give hundreds of gifts to a comp so you don't have to hear "this is so unexpected" hundreds of times?

• 5 months later...

Updated this again, adding Arcaan. I am still longing to see this but is there any way to convince the team to work on it?

Course, someone might reply with "The answer is no." and then ban my account not just from the forums, but from SWTOR game itself.

Edited by forcee

Do I have to keep spamming this until it happens or I'm banned from forums and the game?

I think it was Eric Musco who said that they don't respond to suggestion threads as a matter of policy, to avoid giving the impression that a particular suggestion was blessed in some way by getting a response. If it wasn't him, it was one of the others, Tait Wilson most likely.

I think it was Eric Musco who said that they don't respond to suggestion threads as a matter of policy, to avoid giving the impression that a particular suggestion was blessed in some way by getting a response. If it wasn't him, it was one of the others, Tait Wilson most likely.

This.