What do you think will happen with the old romances in the new expansion?

Yermog

So obviously with this new expansion, a lot of things are going to change, including our companions who, as the developers have said, will have scattered to the four metaphorical winds by the time you wake up. It has been said here that the main character in question will wake up after having been frozen around 5 years, which is of course plenty of time for your companions to have gotten up to their usual (or unusual, as the case may be) shenanigans. But some of these companions were more than companions, and were spouses or lovers.

This thread is where we can speculate where they probably went to after their lover went missing, and what we might have to do to win them back. At this point I'm not sure there's much use speculating over new romance companions since we don't even know if there will be any, so we'll just talk about the ones we already have (totally rooting for Nico, though).

Now, I haven't played as a male toon, so I only know the female romance options. I strongly suspect, however, that for at least a few of the romances, they might very well have decided that they need to at least try to move on since they are probably considered widows/widowers by the near-defunct Empire and Republic. You know, what with the whole being gone about 5 years and all that. So here's the list of male romances that I've compiled in order of their likelihood to have moved on to new romantic pastures:

Least Likely To Have Moved On (Romantically):

Vector Hyllus- Vector is probably the least likely person to have formed a new romance, in my opinion, because of his Joining. Pretty much everyone except the FemAgent finds him disturbing, or at least unusual. Most of the companions find him interesting at best, and unsettling at worst. Most likely after the "death" of the Agent, he returned to the Killik Hives, where it's likely he lost a chunk of his humanity due to the loss of the Agent, if he was romanced. His romance will probably entail trying to get him back to the point where he's able to think of himself as a singular person again, rather than thinking purely like a Killik.

Malavai Quinn- Despite his betrayal of the Wrath, Quinn is very much a military man who loves his Empire above all else- including, it would seem, his own wife/lover. But it felt to me like his romance with the Wrath was a bit of a surprise to him, and he was very stiff throughout the whole thing (he called her 'My Lord' up until the proposal for heaven's sake), which makes me think he was not used to being in a romantic relationship, or at least not a significant one. Probably after the Wrath's "death", he threw himself into the military in his attempt to get rid of the invaders. The Wrath will have to really convince him to leave his post, since his duty is so important to him.

Aric Jorgan- Aric is like Quinn- he's a military guy through and through, and clearly hasn't had much in the way of romance before meeting the trooper. His storyline, I would think, will be like Quinn's in that you'll have to convince him to leave what's left of the Republic forces to fight with the Trooper.

Moderately Likely To Have Moved On (Romantically):

Andronikus Revel- I think that falling for the Inquisitor was a first for him, since he had presumably never asked anyone to marry him before. But it's also pretty clear that while she's a big part of his world, she's not his whole world. He's probably gone back to piracy after loosing the Inquisitor, so you'll have to help him tie up those loose ends before he comes along. As far as romance goes, I could see him being in a non-serious relationship with someone (like with Casey Rixs, with whom he broke up amicably before heading off with the Quizzie on Tatooine), but probably he won't be in love with someone. That seems very unusual for someone like him.

Archiban Froderick Kimble, aka Doc- Like Andronikus, it's implied that Doc had never been seriously in love with someone before, although he had been in 'serious' romantic relationships, such as with Prudy, Doc's former fiancee (according to her). So it's also likely that he's had lovers after the Jedi Knight, but probably hasn't fallen in love since then. Unlike Andronikus, I don't see him being in a solid relationship with anyone when you find him; he's likely too busy helping to patch up soldiers for bot the Empire and Republic alike by the time you catch up to him. You'll probably have to help him settle up with all that.

Felix Iresso- I'll be honest, I've never actually romanced him because I find the Consular to be completely boring and bland. But from what I've seen and heard from him, it's possible he's started to have feelings for someone else, but just as likely he's still not completely over the Consular. I can't really say since I'm not familiar with him.

Most Likely To Have Moved On

Corso Riggs- Corso apparently falls for the FemSmuggler really fast, really hard, and shows his devotion to her multiple times over the course of their romance. He adores her. He's also been engaged once before her though, so he's clearly a romantic. While it probably would have taken him a while to get over the Smuggler, he's pretty young (according to his birth date he's like 21 when you first meet him), and I could see him bouncing back onto someone new after a couple of years. BUT... since he's a hopeless romantic, a part of him is likely still deeply in love with the Smuggler, so I don't think it'll take too much to convince him to be with her again. Or maybe it will, but I think any love triangle would be more based around the fact that he's with another girl and doesn't want to be unfair to her.

Torian Cadera- Torian is the youngest out of all the romances. When you first encounter him (very briefly in the first act), he's only 17 years old. By the time he becomes the Bounty Hunter's lover and husband in Chapter Three, he's still only 19. But he was always probably very serious about the Hunter, being Mandalorian and all. BUT, he's really young when they get married, so I don't see him having too hard a time falling in love again a few years after he loses his wife. I can also see him having no problem picking up again and going after her once she shows up again. We'll see where his Mandalorian roots take him and how much he's changed since we've last seen him.

Anyway, that's my take on the guys right now. I'd love to see what other thoughts on them are, and what people think might have happened to the female romances too.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to SEVERELY disagree with the "most likely to have moved on" concerning Torian. Sure he's young, but he's mando through and through, and flippant (and frivolous) actions and choices are not in his nature. I doubt he would move on until he was much older.

I have to SEVERELY disagree with the "most likely to have moved on" concerning Torian. Sure he's young, but he's mando through and through, and flippant (and frivolous) actions and choices are not in his nature. I doubt he would move on until he was much older.

I don't really see moving on from your supposedly dead spouse as frivolous, though. I mean, I'm assuming that they all believe our toons to be dead, so what's to stop them from being free to move on after the mourning period is over? It's been 5 years, after all.

But maybe I'm completely wrong about it, which could very well be the case.

good point about Corso -- hadn't thought of that --- and that's a relief, the marriage was kind of "rushed"; we were both lonely I suppose -- and after 5 yrs? I've changed a lot , and have some issues to work out -- so romance just may not be a big deal -- that would solve some problems -- I wish him well, but we've grown out of the relationship thing -- yes, that could be very possible

Doc ? oh I love Doc -- him I may have to work on if your scenario is true -- but I have to agree with you there too -- very possible ( those are the only two I romanced, Doc and Corso, so I'm free as can be with the others -- yea !)

Companions from other classes will not have anything in common with your hero.

Bioware already showed how they deal with companions crossing from other classes to your story.

example here.

If you are a jedi knight and you recruit Vette, she will tell you that she was a slave of a generic wrath that is not your wrath however. So the companions will not migrate any choices from your previous character.

In each personal story, other classes are just insignificant minors and they follow predetermined choices.

So if you are a jedi knight, the warrior is simply evil as expected

consular is nice as expected

and inquisitor will fry u.

At OP: I agree with most of your assessments, except for Torian. Mandos take love and marriage very, very seriously, and the fact that he asks the BH to marry him at such a young age means he's really damn sure. I can't recall any Mandos remarrying in the old Legends 'verse, either, even if some are widowed for over twenty years. I doubt he's going to move on just after five.

I've done most of the female romances, so throwing my own two cents on them here:

Least Likely to Move On:

Akaavi: What I said for Torian still stands here: she's Mando, marriage means a lot to her, the Smuggler means a lot to her. She's not going to re-enter a romantic relationship after he vanishes. If anything she has even less of a chance of moving on than Torian; Torian's at least a nice guy who might get attention for being a "tragic widower", Akaavi's very standoff-ish, which would put off most people from pursuing her romantically. No prior obligations or affiliations means she'd rejoin easily.

Elara: Her by-the-book nature and Imperial upbringing make her a bit of a pariah among Republic soldiers; she flat-out says the Trooper is the only one to show romantic interest in her. She's the type who, upon losing her husband, would bury herself in work to cope, and might be hard to get to rejoin since she's so devoted to it.

Ashara: Thanks to her Jedi upbringing, she's pretty reserved about romance--the Inquisitor has to do some pushing to win her over, and even then she's still a little shy and uncertain. He's her first love, too, and that combined with her caution about relationships makes me think she'd choose to honor his memory and focus on fighting the Eternal Empire. I'm kind of hoping that losing him will be the final push she needs to fall to the Dark Side, but we'll see. She'd probably rejoin the Inquisitor pretty quickly, barring something happening that puts her in a position of leadership.

Nadia: The girl's got three big things stopping her from finding someone else: her commitment to the Jedi, her commitment to her people, and her commitment to the Consular. The Jedi are self-explanatory; as Senator of her people, she'd devote a lot of time and energy helping them, preventing her from having time for a relationship; and she strikes me as one of the few who would refuse to give up on the PC and devote resources to finding them. She'd probably be overjoyed at the Consular's return, but may have to focus on her duties to her people.

Moderately Likely to Move On:

Vette: Vette doesn't have any duty to channel her grief into, nor a real job, which could actually lead to her coming to peace with her loss sooner. She's young, attractive, and funny, so I don't doubt she'd get some male attention. I could even see her pursuing a guy she liked, since the Warrior's love gave her a confidence boost. Would probably be shocked at the Warrior's return, and might be a little difficult to persuade to return, since she's accepted her loss and moved on.

Mako: Pretty much the same as Vette above, though unlike Vette I don't think she'd actively seek a relationship. If a guy she liked asked, though, I think she'd accept. She'd probably be the easier one between the two to talk into rejoining you.

Kira: While she is a Jedi, Kira always was a rulebreaker. She might stay single and channel her grief into fighting the Eternal Empire, or she might try to move past it with sex. I don't think she'd get emotionally attached to anyone, but I could see her having a couple of short, "in it for the sex" type of relationships. Would probably rejoin you pretty fast, ditching whomever she's with and giving the Council the finger if they tried to stop her.

Raina: Raina's the exception on my list, as the sole romance I didn't pursue. As such I don't know much about her. She might have moved on, she might not.

Most Likely to Move On:

Kaliyo: The girl likes sex, plain and simple. She's the fastest to proposition you for it. She cheats on the Agent on his own ship (before they became committed, but still). She's not going to take a vow of celibacy because he "died". Most likely she'll have hooked up with a new partner, but I highly doubt she'll be emotionally attached to them--the Agent is apparently the only one she's ever loved, and look what that got her. While she doesn't have a problem turning on her partners, I think she might not rejoin the Agent immediately, due to pent-up anger at him for disappearing on her.

Jaesa: Like Kaliyo above, she likes sex. Unlike Kaliyo, she's practically obsessed with her paramour, the Warrior. She'd probably regress to her pre-romance behavior: lots of flings that end with her tossing the guys out. She'd be the easiest one in this category to win back; she's so devoted to the Warrior, she'd immediately drop everything and come back to his side.

Risha: She's going to be queen, she's going to get offers of political marriage--one such offer actually does pop up during her romance. The only reason she turns it down is because of the Smuggler, but if he's supposedly dead and she's struggling? If marrying some nobleman would help her, then I believe Risha is practical enough to do it. I also doubt that Bioware is dumb enough to make a previous romance unavailable, so it's more likely she'd only be engaged upon the Smuggler's return and would have to choose between the man she loves and the man helping her against the Eternal Empire.

Edited by Abvora

I'm just hoping that we will be able to romance companions from other classes that previously were not romanced.

I can totally see my sith with Scourge.

Scourge isn't emotionless by choice, its a side effect of the immortality given to him by the emperor. He constantly cries about food having no taste and no feels.

That also affected his other areas, so he is now asexual.

Edited by Deshiel

Companions from other classes will not have anything in common with your hero.

Bioware already showed how they deal with companions crossing from other classes to your story.

example here.

If you are a jedi knight and you recruit Vette, she will tell you that she was a slave of a generic wrath that is not your wrath however. So the companions will not migrate any choices from your previous character.

In each personal story, other classes are just insignificant minors and they follow predetermined choices.

So if you are a jedi knight, the warrior is simply evil as expected

consular is nice as expected

and inquisitor will fry u.

Yes, I would have been very surprised if they had said you could romance companions from each other's storylines. I think they'll let you romance your former LI's and they'll probably toss in a couple more for us to enjoy which they will announce later. I doubt you'll be able to romance a companion you weren't able to originally though.

Edited by Yermog

I just hope that they put some effort/weight into the romance companions. With what's been disclosed so far on what happens to you, it should be a big deal.

You are carbonite'd following an Eternal Empire attack on your ship. When you are rescued after five years of metal Popsicle, Lana says that your "memories" of your companions dying are probably just stasis hallucinations. In other words, you've been dreaming/remembering your love interest was killed by these Zakuul folks.

Some characters in particular should be mad over that. LS Inquisitor for example. If you play that as intended (actually earning her affection) Ashara is what keeps him level and minimizes the puppy kicking. With the Inquisitor's other framing (and advisers...), people are probably getting electrocuted with her "gone."

It does seem like a lot of work to keep track of all the romance options a character may have (8 characters, at least one LI per gender), but the alternative of both the separation and the rediscovery being ho-hum walking into a room on some planet on a tip would be deeply unsatisfying.

He (Scourge) constantly cries about food having no taste...

Aaaaaannnd now I have an image in my head of Scourge quietly weeping on his bunk surrounded by crumpled tissues. He's spooning ice cream into his mouth and sobbing between mouthfuls, "No flavor. NO FLAVOOOORRRRRR!"

Irreverent, yes. But hilarious. (Yes, I know he said he has no feelings as well, but just run with the image for a moment, lol.)

WAHT, Corso is 21! Ugh, my smuggler is only seventeen, (she'll be twenty-two after the five years frozen). That's, that's a little weird with the age difference now. I mean, it wouldn't be as bad if I made her eighteen.

So obviously with this new expansion, a lot of things are going to change, including our companions who, as the developers have said, will have scattered to the four metaphorical winds by the time you wake up. It has been said here that the main character in question will wake up after having been frozen around 5 years, which is of course plenty of time for your companions to have gotten up to their usual (or unusual, as the case may be) shenanigans. But some of these companions were more than companions, and were spouses or lovers.

This thread is where we can speculate where they probably went to after their lover went missing, and what we might have to do to win them back. At this point I'm not sure there's much use speculating over new romance companions since we don't even know if there will be any, so we'll just talk about the ones we already have (totally rooting for Nico, though).

Now, I haven't played as a male toon, so I only know the female romance options. I strongly suspect, however, that for at least a few of the romances, they might very well have decided that they need to at least try to move on since they are probably considered widows/widowers by the near-defunct Empire and Republic. You know, what with the whole being gone about 5 years and all that. So here's the list of male romances that I've compiled in order of their likelihood to have moved on to new romantic pastures:

Least Likely To Have Moved On (Romantically):

Vector Hyllus- Vector is probably the least likely person to have formed a new romance, in my opinion, because of his Joining. Pretty much everyone except the FemAgent finds him disturbing, or at least unusual. Most of the companions find him interesting at best, and unsettling at worst. Most likely after the "death" of the Agent, he returned to the Killik Hives, where it's likely he lost a chunk of his humanity due to the loss of the Agent, if he was romanced. His romance will probably entail trying to get him back to the point where he's able to think of himself as a singular person again, rather than thinking purely like a Killik.

Malavai Quinn- Despite his betrayal of the Wrath, Quinn is very much a military man who loves his Empire above all else- including, it would seem, his own wife/lover. But it felt to me like his romance with the Wrath was a bit of a surprise to him, and he was very stiff throughout the whole thing (he called her 'My Lord' up until the proposal for heaven's sake), which makes me think he was not used to being in a romantic relationship, or at least not a significant one. Probably after the Wrath's "death", he threw himself into the military in his attempt to get rid of the invaders. The Wrath will have to really convince him to leave his post, since his duty is so important to him.

Aric Jorgan- Aric is like Quinn- he's a military guy through and through, and clearly hasn't had much in the way of romance before meeting the trooper. His storyline, I would think, will be like Quinn's in that you'll have to convince him to leave what's left of the Republic forces to fight with the Trooper.

Moderately Likely To Have Moved On (Romantically):

Andronikus Revel- I think that falling for the Inquisitor was a first for him, since he had presumably never asked anyone to marry him before. But it's also pretty clear that while she's a big part of his world, she's not his whole world. He's probably gone back to piracy after loosing the Inquisitor, so you'll have to help him tie up those loose ends before he comes along. As far as romance goes, I could see him being in a non-serious relationship with someone (like with Casey Rixs, with whom he broke up amicably before heading off with the Quizzie on Tatooine), but probably he won't be in love with someone. That seems very unusual for someone like him.

Archiban Froderick Kimble, aka Doc- Like Andronikus, it's implied that Doc had never been seriously in love with someone before, although he had been in 'serious' romantic relationships, such as with Prudy, Doc's former fiancee (according to her). So it's also likely that he's had lovers after the Jedi Knight, but probably hasn't fallen in love since then. Unlike Andronikus, I don't see him being in a solid relationship with anyone when you find him; he's likely too busy helping to patch up soldiers for bot the Empire and Republic alike by the time you catch up to him. You'll probably have to help him settle up with all that.

Felix Iresso- I'll be honest, I've never actually romanced him because I find the Consular to be completely boring and bland. But from what I've seen and heard from him, it's possible he's started to have feelings for someone else, but just as likely he's still not completely over the Consular. I can't really say since I'm not familiar with him.

Most Likely To Have Moved On

Corso Riggs- Corso apparently falls for the FemSmuggler really fast, really hard, and shows his devotion to her multiple times over the course of their romance. He adores her. He's also been engaged once before her though, so he's clearly a romantic. While it probably would have taken him a while to get over the Smuggler, he's pretty young (according to his birth date he's like 21 when you first meet him), and I could see him bouncing back onto someone new after a couple of years. BUT... since he's a hopeless romantic, a part of him is likely still deeply in love with the Smuggler, so I don't think it'll take too much to convince him to be with her again. Or maybe it will, but I think any love triangle would be more based around the fact that he's with another girl and doesn't want to be unfair to her.

Torian Cadera- Torian is the youngest out of all the romances. When you first encounter him (very briefly in the first act), he's only 17 years old. By the time he becomes the Bounty Hunter's lover and husband in Chapter Three, he's still only 19. But he was always probably very serious about the Hunter, being Mandalorian and all. BUT, he's really young when they get married, so I don't see him having too hard a time falling in love again a few years after he loses his wife. I can also see him having no problem picking up again and going after her once she shows up again. We'll see where his Mandalorian roots take him and how much he's changed since we've last seen him.

Anyway, that's my take on the guys right now. I'd love to see what other thoughts on them are, and what people think might have happened to the female romances too.

WAHT, Corso is 21! Ugh, my smuggler is only seventeen, (she'll be twenty-two after the five years frozen). That's, that's a little weird with the age difference now. I mean, it wouldn't be as bad if I made her eighteen.

Seventeen? I could never imagine that, with the VA.

Actually I did the math again. Corso is 22 in Chapter One. Which probably doesn't help you much in the RP area, but still good to know.

Depending on how the story goes in the future there might be some of my characters that never advance, stay forever in pre-expansion and others that will. It will be interesting to see where it goes, don't know if I want to play it first with my JK or my smuggler. Both of them are very happy with their lives at the moment, what will happen to them and their husbands? Have started to lvl a Imperial Agent with the intention of keeping her single, that's a first for me when it comes to BioWare-games. She will probably be my first character to play, aka testsubject :p

Actually I did the math again. Corso is 22 in Chapter One. Which probably doesn't help you much in the RP area, but still good to know.

Lawl, I just realized that Theron is probably older than Corso. *shrugs* I guess I'll just play the ship as Ezria. :p

I don't think you age if you're frozen in carbonite?

Also, seventeen?! Oi vey. I decided most of my girls would be over twenty-five... and then it turned out my Bounty Hunter was romancing an eighteen year old. But then I thought, hey, I would romance someone fifteen years older than me, so I don't care if Elly is seven years older than Torian! :D

Yeah, 17 is far too young for the smuggler. The smuggler is an ace pilot with her own starship, has a variety of contacts in the galactic underworld, has a standing arrest warrant for them on Coruscant (per the need to hack the arrival terminal), and is an active arms dealer at the start of the story. Definitely mid to late 20s.

I don't think you age if you're frozen in carbonite?

Also, seventeen?! Oi vey. I decided most of my girls would be over twenty-five... and then it turned out my Bounty Hunter was romancing an eighteen year old. But then I thought, hey, I would romance someone fifteen years older than me, so I don't care if Elly is seven years older than Torian! :D

Heh. I say? Let's swap charries, they can meet half way. :p Cos, ya' know, apparently we both had the opposite problem!

But, yeah. I tend to make all my heroines seventeen. Although, I do tend to lean toward YA in my writings.

Yeah, 17 is far too young for the smuggler. The smuggler is an ace pilot with her own starship, has a variety of contacts in the galactic underworld, has a standing arrest warrant for them on Coruscant (per the need to hack the arrival terminal), and is an active arms dealer at the start of the story. Definitely mid to late 20s.

Sorry, I don't know how to quote multiple posts at once. But, that's why I said Bioware's story is only a legend of Jasmin. My head-canon, she has no starship, she's essentially an escaped slave on the run from the Sith. Pretty much, she's a stowaway. Her only blaster just the one she managed to steal upon her escape. Head-canon, Bowdaar (Kitaddik) is her only pal. Though, I am considering changing Theron's name, in case we can have him, or Jakkaro as a companion, like we're getting Lana.

Edited by TyonYlle

All my toons, male or female, start out at 25. Anything younger is weird to me. They all sound more mature and accomplish more. A 17 year old anything in SWTOR is pretty weird to me.

The only two that could be teenagers are IMO the two Sith.

Inquisitor - He's a slave whose ordered to Korriban, several of the other acolytes are very immature and you come across weak Force Sensitives as an Imperial on Balmorra who are trying to flee so they don't get sent straight to Korriban as is the law. The Empire doesn't care that they'll probably die; they will certainly die if they don't go. Anyone old enough to have a game body type could be the unlucky guy/girl.

Sith Warrior - Blue-blood prodigy who is explicitly on Korriban earlier than would be expected and hasn't internalized Sith teachings (saying to Baras that you have is labeled [Lie]). Almost has to be in the 16-22 age band.

Everyone else...nope.

Edited by Canareth

The only two that could be teenagers are IMO the two Sith.

Inquisitor - He's a slave whose ordered to Korriban, several of the other acolytes are very immature and you come across weak Force Sensitives as an Imperial on Balmorra who are trying to flee so they don't get sent straight to Korriban as is the law. The Empire doesn't care that they'll probably die; they will certainly die if they don't go. Anyone old enough to have a game body type could be the unlucky guy/girl.

Sith Warrior - Blue-blood prodigy who is explicitly on Korriban earlier than would be expected and hasn't internalized Sith teachings (saying to Baras that you have is labeled [Lie]). Almost has to be in the 16-22 age band.

Everyone else...nope.

I agree about the Inquisitor.. I always figured the Inquisitor was the youngest of the classes--it goes with the whole "untrained, raw, but POWERFUL" theme prevalent in their story. Bottom age is 17, though, to prevent anything illegal in the romances.

I think the other teenager is the Knight, not the Warrior, though. Hal Hood, the writer of the Knight's story, said they were supposed to be about 18. Which is technically still a teen.

I actually think the Warrior is older than you estimate--Sith nobility would often hold back their kids from going to Korriban until they were adults, so they could give them specialized training and improve their chance of survival. I pin their age as somewhere between 21 and 24.

Everyone else has to be in their mid-twenties, at least. The Agent and Trooper have elite training that would take several years to complete, the Smuggler is already a semi-prominent figure in the underworld, and the Hunter's been in the business long enough to have a shot at the Great Hunt. I guess the Consular could be a teen, but it doesn't fit with their image as a respected diplomat. Maybe younger twenties?

ANYWAY! Getting off topic! So, uh...how 'bout that romance?

Edited by Abvora