Im pretty annoyed no one likes to group for general questing in this game.

So far on ebon hawk everyone wants to solo, I don't understand this mentaility. Its an mmorpg which usually means a social grouping rpg type of game, i'm fine with people soloing but really if I wanted to solo all the time id stick to deeper single player games.

Do people group in this for general questing? Maybe its just my server.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, considering they stuck KotOR III-X into this game, it shouldn't be a surprise how many people like the single player stuff. That's what attracted me to the game - I normally hate MMOs.

That said, while I enjoy some of the group content, I absolutely can't stand normal questing with a partner - let alone a stranger - because I want to just go do what I'm going to do. No waiting around, no following them into their story quest while they wait to follow me into mine, just complete autonomy. I group for things that require a group, and sometimes not even then.

So far on ebon hawk everyone wants to solo, I don't understand this mentaility. Its an mmorpg which usually means a social grouping rpg type of game, i'm fine with people soloing but really if I wanted to solo all the time id stick to deeper single player games.

It's a story driven leveling experience that caters to solo play. It's not that I don't like playing with other players, but for me, I just want to do my thing and get to 60. It's not that I don't want to help you or meet you either, it's simply that I don't know you and I don't want you screwing up MY story.

Solo quests are just that... quests that are balanced for solo play. You could group up to do them, but you'd all just obliterate the NPCs. They wouldn't be able to get a scratch in before being wiped out. If you want to do a group challenge, queue up for flash points.

In any case, with 12x EXP on the go, doing any PVE content except class quests is just an inefficient use of time.

Depending on what I'm doing, I also don't want to share loot. If the loot system was changed so we are not fighting/needing/greeding over loot and everyone got a seperate "here is your bag of loot" then I for one would group much more. Sometimes I will run an old flashpoint solo because I'm hunting a decoration. I could group, but what is the point if I don't get the deco and I'm in there for that one reason?

Well if you are grouped you can do higher level content, and whats the point of picking classes if you cant see your class shine in groups? And what waiting around? If you guys have the same quests there shouldn't be much of that.

Here is YOUR PROBLEM, you have this concept of what it SHOULD BE and if the REALITY doesn't match you BLAME everyone but YOURSELF. Change your concept.

Well if you are grouped you can do higher level content, and whats the point of picking classes if you cant see your class shine in groups? And what waiting around? If you guys have the same quests there shouldn't be much of that.

What is Flashpoints and Pvp?

The game is a hybrid of solo and multiplayer.

The normal quests are meant to be done solo. In the class missions it is designed around solo play. That's why they made FPs, Heroics, PVP, and Ops.

Plus when your on class missions no one can tell you to spacebar :)

Edited by FerkWork

I exit and restart conversations all the time, just to see the different paths they take before choosing the one my character would take (except side quests, I tend to do those to farm Affection Points). This would be a hassle to anyone I was grouping with. And then I also don't always play my 'role' while questing. My healer Sorc/Sage can, does, and will DPS and spam Quake/Storm when questing just to end the missions faster (*glares at Hoth*), but in a group setting, that's not what I am supposed to do as a Sorc/Sage. And my other characters also break the "Play your role that suits your tree" advice while questing.

And if I had buddies that I group with for regular missions, for the story's sake, I'd be reliant on my group members' schedules to play a character. My day-time schedule is almost never certain due to my work.

And 12x EXP is going on, I'm wanting to run the classes I least enjoy once through on all the servers I play on, so general questing is more affection farming than anything, IF I even do it.

I enjoy the MMO aspect in terms of socializing with other players and seeing them about on the planet. Grouping is a bit meh. But for me, MMOs are more about sharing the fact that we're playing this game at the same time.

Then there's the loot debate.

Are you the one that invites without a whisper first?

I will refuse groups out of principle if someone does not tell me what is going on first. If they ask first then I will group for as long as convenient to us both. However, afk or just standing around and I will leave the group quickly. Too many times I have wasted time with someone asking for help and then going afk as I kill their objective. Leveling a sawbones now and I will hit disappearing act and quit group faster than someone can alt-tab.

The normal quests are meant to be done solo. In the class missions it is designed around solo play)
You didn't play a jedi knight at launch, did you? :p

Many a jedi knight will tell you their class quest line was not a solo quest line then. Since then they have nerfed the line to death. I saw the 3 of the Jedi Knights quest bosses twice before I saw the smuggler the first time and I didn't level a knight until 6 months after the game was out. I saw them as I leveled my sawbones just from people asking for help.

Edited by mikebevo

It's a story driven leveling experience that caters to solo play. It's not that I don't like playing with other players, but for me, I just want to do my thing and get to 60. It's not that I don't want to help you or meet you either, it's simply that I don't know you and I don't want you screwing up MY story.

^^^^This.

I used to group very often back in City of Heroes (my main game for all of its 8 years), where the instanced missions scaled to group size, and you could even adjust the difficulty slider from there however you wanted. I used to group in Matrix Online, because doing so was just fun and there was one hell of a RP community on the Linenoise server, so that added to the fun way back in 2005-2006.

That said, I don't group much in GW2 because the leveling process is just so fast paced, and I like to do what I want and go where I want in the world for Events and Heart-Area objectives.

I don't group in WoW outside of dungeons and raids, because I have no reason to. The game is soloable for the most part.

I don't group in here outside of Flashpoints, because the leveling is truly designed toward a single-player KOTOR style. I'm playing my class story. No offense, but you'll just get in the way. Even with most Heroics, I can solo them before I leave the planet because I've out-leveled them already. So, I'll run through them real quick if there's a reward that is worth it. Otherwise, I abandon the missions and move on to the next planet and the next story phase.

Keep in mind, I am talking random grouping. I do group without hesitation with my RL best friend, 21 year old son, or wife.

Edited by Jumajin

I want to add my 2¢ on this. I have characters that I run solo and I have characters that I run grouped.

The ones I solo I get done with story much faster than the ones that are grouped. I don't need to wait for people to do their running around and gearing and companion missions and all the baggage that comes with grouping.

The groups I run with are people I know and we have a group dynamic worked out. We don't have to contend with the DPS that thinks he is a tank, the healer that wants to wait for you to be under 10% to start to heal, or the tank that thinks since he is doing you a favor by tanking for your group he has the right to roll need on all loot.

I will do a pickup group every now and again but it is always painful when adjusting to other people's play styles. They never look for CCs that have been cast before attacking. They rarely understand their roll. The often don't even understand their own classes play style. More times than not if you group before the end of chapter 1 you find your self grouped with that guy that doesn't understand gearing and/or stats.

With that being said I have found some phenomenal players picking up random group mates. Two of them made it onto my friends list and we will still run things on multiple servers.

In general unless I have a ton of time to kill I don't group.

I play on Ebon Hawk and I do group but I restrict who I group with. I normally play with my boyfriend and if he's not there then my guild.

I am also not a fan of some of the language some people use so I limit my grouping with my boyfriend, my friends and my guild.

I am not much in grouping with people I don't know.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

Im paying my sub to be playing my characters to see their story. Im not paying and playing to help random_schlub_564 (who usually just sends a blind invite and says come/follow) kill his 47 rats to get a pair of worn out shoes... :p Edited by XiamaraSimi

Are you the one that invites without a whisper first?

I will refuse groups out of principle if someone does not tell me what is going on first. If they ask first then I will group for as long as convenient to us both. However, afk or just standing around and I will leave the group quickly. Too many times I have wasted time with someone asking for help and then going afk as I kill their objective. Leveling a sawbones now and I will hit disappearing act and quit group faster than someone can alt-tab.

^ I forgot my main pet peeve about grouping. Random group invites without so much as a "Hey, we seem to be on the same quest. Wanna group and kill things faster together?" Whisper.

I still turn down the offer, but realizing we're on the same quest, I often will switch to focus on another quest for a while. But it's courtesy there.

I find that it's a very "luck of the draw" situation on questing in a group versus solo. A lot of people just want to breeze through the content...especially if they have done it a billion times across a bunch of various toons. I know for me, with 17 toons now (plus 4 on another server) I'm at the "just let me get this done and over with" phase for the most part.

That being said, I like to help people when they need help, and oftentimes I will stop my own missions and such to help others out if they ask. And sometimes when I'm doing things like I was yesterday - which was running a 60 through a bunch of 50 level HM FP's (i.e. facerolling them) - I did ask to see if any folks wanted to join me just for ***** & giggles, but there were no takers. I did 5 HM FP's and didn't get one single person who wanted to join, lol.

They sorta designed the game in a way that *feels* very solo anyway...so I guess we shouldn't be too surprised.

if you move any toons over to Harbinger, PM me...I'll come join ya. I have toons on both factions in damn near every type of class.

For solo quests I agree with the people here. I like exploring off the trails and going afk whenever I want. But I still think it's a pity that people don't group for Heroics. They are often nice and fun missions.

Let's go here next - that takes time to determine.

Should we find two more for this H4?

I like to scavenge - wait for me to get these mats.

I wanna do my story quest next, we're right next to it!

brb bio

Wife aggro, sorry!

Phone.

Door.

Gimme a second, I wanna check the GTN real quick...

Or visit my crew skills trainer...

Or check out that lore object...

Or datacron...

Or explore this cool area I've never been before.

See where I'm going? All of these are options when you're playing solo, and you won't bother a soul with whatever you choose to do. Making it a democracy kills the efficiency or the fun - but one has to die.

"Only one player of this class may advance their story." You will find that it says that on the green film that covers the entrance to class story instances. I mention that because that is what they mean when they say waiting for you to finish, or if you wanted, doing it twice in a row. I can see the tedium in that. Double every single mission, or wait outside. You can advance non story missions, but as was mentioned, it is 12x xp summer and since (imo) most people leveling are using it, it would be a complete waste of time to do non class missions.

My advice to you friend, is to search out a social leveling guild, or wait, or both. You will be at the endgame soon and there will be plenty of opportunity to group with others, be they friends or randos in the group finder. ;)

For solo quests I agree with the people here. I like exploring off the trails and going afk whenever I want. But I still think it's a pity that people don't group for Heroics. They are often nice and fun missions.

That's the best part about soloing FP's...you can actually explore EVERYTHING without at least one bozo wanting to run through at turbo speed. I finally did a bonus series on one FP yesterday that I didn't even know existed until I took the time to solo it, lol.

Actually while I was leveling on Ebon Hawk I joined up with people fairly often, and they were usually friendly and accommodating. We would do the heroic areas or even just try to get to holocrons, it didn't matter. I had fun doing it, even if I didn't necessarily have to. That was actually one of the things I thought was different from WoW, where no one ever wants to group for anything not a queue, and then it's half the time some savage twerp.

Now with 12x experience I immediately saw a crash in this type of gameplay. And at 60, you're pretty much stuck to FPs and Ops if you want to group, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Bottom line, your mileage may vary. Just about everyone I asked to group with while leveling accepted me, so maybe you need to be more proactive?

Again though, with 12x xp you can just skip all the non-story content, so I could see how people would just want to rush and not screw off with other people. I guess.

Also i have 5 tanks, ive had more then my fill of helping other "random players"

Mara/sent - "Yeehaw! Let me force leap into that group we dont need to fight!1!1!1"

Inq/sage - "Wheeeeee! Let me knockback all those things your trying to fight together!"

Assorted gun toting class - "Hur hur let me shoot random guys for fun!"

I do group. But -only- with friends and guildies, i play to have fun, not be stressed out doing things for random strangers.