Radical Crew Skill Idea

Rovemo

I shall refer to this as Legacy Enterprise System (LES).

This would allow any character in a legacy to request work or command the crew from any other character in the same legacy. So if a player was on one toon, their LES would allow them to tell their other toons crew to do whatever that crew is capable of.

I like doing crew skill stuff, but its a little annoying to have to log out of one toon, log in to another toon, tell that toon's crew to do whatever then log back out and in to the character i'm leveling or doing whatever with. Seems like this could be streamlined with LES.

Maybe some restrictions to be placed on it, like going through the LES won't level another toons skill, but will have access to what level it is at currently.

There's more to it in my mind, but this seems like enough to either spark interest or disinterest to the dev team.

I shall refer to this as Legacy Enterprise System (LES).

This would allow any character in a legacy to request work or command the crew from any other character in the same legacy. So if a player was on one toon, their LES would allow them to tell their other toons crew to do whatever that crew is capable of.

I like doing crew skill stuff, but its a little annoying to have to log out of one toon, log in to another toon, tell that toon's crew to do whatever then log back out and in to the character i'm leveling or doing whatever with. Seems like this could be streamlined with LES.

Maybe some restrictions to be placed on it, like going through the LES won't level another toons skill, but will have access to what level it is at currently.

There's more to it in my mind, but this seems like enough to either spark interest or disinterest to the dev team.

Not all that radical; this has been asked for before.

I like the restriction of no skill ups through the "LES". I would take it one step further: LES only allows cross legacy crafting...no materials missions. My idea is that a character has need of something another character can craft and can open an interface so another character in the legacy can craft it. When done, it shows up in the mail not inventory (touch of realism here: character A wants something crafted by character B, A sends a message to B, who then crafts item X and sends it to A by the quickest means available...mail).

Not all that radical; this has been asked for before.

I like the restriction of no skill ups through the "LES". I would take it one step further: LES only allows cross legacy crafting...no materials missions. My idea is that a character has need of something another character can craft and can open an interface so another character in the legacy can craft it. When done, it shows up in the mail not inventory (touch of realism here: character A wants something crafted by character B, A sends a message to B, who then crafts item X and sends it to A by the quickest means available...mail).

I think I actually suggested something like this during the discussions about placing characters/companions in Strongholds -- letting players manage aspects of their other characters by interfacing with their holo representations. I don't know that I'd mind gathering missions being run per se, but I'd maybe increase the time that a remote accessed character's companion took, or the cost, or something.

While it may increase the mat and crafted item supply, I don't think it would be as disruptive as the "craft from anywhere app" that occasionally gets suggested, as this would still require the player to be logged on, so I see it more as a convenience (since the player could just switch chars), and letting people stay in queues (or lfg) longer would actually help other people as well (as in help queues pop and groups form faster).

That said, I'd say the probability of the devs actually trying to implement something like this is about 0%, since the benefit is minimal, the development effort probably more than would justify the ROI (even if CCs or the CM were involved), and "engine limitations" would probably cut into what benefits would be obtainable. Specifically, I'd expect an extra delay due to accessing the off-line character in addition to the usual load time for that character's schematic list. Also, for simplicity, it would probably be better to log into the other characters to pick up items/mats -- otherwise you'd have "interesting" situations if you logged out after giving orders but before they were complete, depending on which of the two characters you logged into next, and whether or not the orders were complete at that time.

Edited by eartharioch

You can do all this manually, right? So what you want is the game to take over some of the chores here and automate it for you. You want Toon-A to be able to issue an "Order to Craft" to Toon-B and have the products delivered. Might be interesting how you negotiate a price for the items since you control both sides of the equation. You might even get into a fight with yourself.

I'd like the same kind of ability for quests. Why couldn't I have Legacy Wide Questing? I could just ask another toon to go out and get King Ulgo from his Water Palace and bring him back, along with any XP gain, so I wouldn't actually have to do it. Or send someone else out to do Makeb, since I don't like it, then I could just move on to Rishi.

Sounds like a Win-Win to me!

You can do all this manually, right? So what you want is the game to take over some of the chores here and automate it for you. You want Toon-A to be able to issue an "Order to Craft" to Toon-B and have the products delivered. Might be interesting how you negotiate a price for the items since you control both sides of the equation. You might even get into a fight with yourself.

I'd like the same kind of ability for quests. Why couldn't I have Legacy Wide Questing? I could just ask another toon to go out and get King Ulgo from his Water Palace and bring him back, along with any XP gain, so I wouldn't actually have to do it. Or send someone else out to do Makeb, since I don't like it, then I could just move on to Rishi.

Sounds like a Win-Win to me!

Crew skills aren't actually things we do ourselves per se though unlike questing where you need direct control of a character more or less the entire time. Yes we control who goes where but there is no reason we shouldn't be able to do this across our entire legacy from one character as we would still be ideally doing the same amount of work as before except minimising the amount of logging in and out between characters ( I would feel even more sorry for anyone doing this between factions/strongholds without an SSD ).

It's basically a QoL improvement, nothing major but certainly handy. Just as legacy storage was before it.

As for only having it for crafting only I don't see the point, should be for all crew skills. QoL is QoL ... why punish one aspect of crew skills. :p

I think MSchuyler was being sarcastic (at least that's the way I read it), but whatever.

While it would not be on the same level as an app, cross legacy crew skills would give players the opportunity to create more materials, increasing supply without increasing demand. Just as a rough example: right now when I run operations with my guild, I can only run new missions on the character I am running the op on; I cannot ask my guild to wait while I switch characters. With this feature, I could take the few seconds between pulls and send more characters' companions on more missions. Now multiply that type of scenario by... a lot :p

Hence my suggested limitation to crafting.

As for only having it for crafting only I don't see the point, should be for all crew skills. QoL is QoL ... why punish one aspect of crew skills. :p

Game balance, I guess. I have like 5 slicers, 3 treasure hunters, 3 diplomats, uncountable underworld traders, on my main server, all with best possible crits. Only the chore of logging in is keeping me from sending them non-stop, ALL of them. When working at the other computer I often send the missions out that I need most at the moment, while being mostly afk in the game. If this change would be implemented nothing whatsoever would keep me away from farming about 20 top crit companions non-stop for hours. I only have 14 chars.

...as we would still be ideally doing the same amount of work as before...

Time, and nerves are ressources (loading screen). You make something take less ressources, and expect people to not take advantage of that? Seriously?

So, even for crafting it would get a resounding NO from me. It is crazy easy to make credits with crafting in this game, at any level. The effect of such a change would scale with the amount of crafters, and the level of those on an account, and the amount of time one can be in the game, playing or not. Such a change would yet again put newer players at a disadvantage, compared to those, who already have all crafts. Same argument not in regards to credits, but conquest points, also. To draw an extreme picture: guilds with accounts with 22 crafters could pretty much dominate conquests, tremendously easier than they do now, already.

Edited by Nazdika

I think MSchuyler was being sarcastic (at least that's the way I read it), but whatever.

While it would not be on the same level as an app, cross legacy crew skills would give players the opportunity to create more materials, increasing supply without increasing demand. Just as a rough example: right now when I run operations with my guild, I can only run new missions on the character I am running the op on; I cannot ask my guild to wait while I switch characters. With this feature, I could take the few seconds between pulls and send more characters' companions on more missions. Now multiply that type of scenario by... a lot :p

Hence my suggestion to tie it to being in a stronghold and costing more (companion time, credits, or whatever) :) You could still log in to one char and start up queues or lfgs while sending out other chars' companions, but you wouldn't be able to slow down your guild/group by stopping a run in order to craft (assuming that leaving the run to go back to a stronghold would be as unpopular as switching a character).

Make it a stronghold only feature - solves that issue at least.

Game balance, I guess. I have like 5 slicers, 3 treasure hunters, 3 diplomats, uncountable underworld traders, on my main server, all with best possible crits. Only the chore of logging in is keeping me from sending them non-stop, ALL of them. When working at the other computer I often send the missions out that I need most at the moment, while being mostly afk in the game. If this change would be implemented nothing whatsoever would keep me away from farming about 20 top crit companions non-stop for hours. I only have 14 chars.

Time, and nerves are ressources (loading screen). You make something take less ressources, and expect people to not take advantage of that? Seriously?

So, even for crafting it would get a resounding NO from me. It is crazy easy to make credits with crafting in this game, at any level. The effect of such a change would scale with the amount of crafters, and the level of those on an account, and the amount of time one can be in the game, playing or not. Such a change would yet again put newer players at a disadvantage, compared to those, who already have all crafts. Same argument not in regards to credits, but conquest points, also. To draw an extreme picture: guilds with accounts with 22 crafters could pretty much dominate conquests, tremendously easier than they do now, already.

As I see it all it would do is make the economy rather more affordable and accessible to everyone than what it is now and without having to bring in a stupid slot machine that can utterly destroy the economy as has been done before.

Making 30K per Midlithe or Auto Immune regulators that I now get seems somewhat excessive so I don't actually see any "damage" that a change like the suggested one would make. Yes it would effect the 'norm' as we know it but that could actually be of benefit not detriment.

As for conquest ... who cares? If you want conquest fixed go complain in the threads that pertain to crafting being such a big part of it anyway. Based on conquest though if what you did say came to pass then the demand on materials would increase with the supply of the materials somewhat going a step toward alleviating one of psandak's concerns.

As for new players exactly how are they hindered? Hindered from becoming rich? Do they need to be rich or would it be nice to be rich? If it's the later then nothing is stopping them working to achieve said richness the same as anyone else would have done so. The upcoming game changes ( mostly in terms of basic comms ) are making any "need" for money for new players rather obsolete.

I like that idea. It would be much more easier than having to log in to each of my characters. It is basically the same principle having to log off and on to another character.

If you have all the skills already it not going to change much except a few minutes that it takes to log in. It takes my companion to run the mission about 1 hour or so (depending on the mission). That isn't going to change if you send your other characters companions to do mission or crafting. All you are actually doing is saving a few minutes which I don't see as a big deal.

I like that idea. It would be much more easier than having to log in to each of my characters. It is basically the same principle having to log off and on to another character.

If you have all the skills already it not going to change much except a few minutes that it takes to log in. It takes my companion to run the mission about 1 hour or so (depending on the mission). That isn't going to change if you send your other characters companions to do mission or crafting. All you are actually doing is saving a few minutes which I don't see as a big deal.

I agree that - as suggested - all this feature does is save some time (switching between characters). So the question becomes, is it worth the development resources to implement a feature that only saves players "a few minutes"? The answer goes back to how many players in fact participate in the crew skills and how many of those have multiple characters that they fully care about them running missions and/or crafting on. And I think that the number is far smaller than most here would think.

this is a pretty bad idea that would devalue crewskills and crafting significantly. price of mats and crafted items would drop by a lot.

the current system is actually a pretty cool system and rewards people who put in a little effort.

I agree that - as suggested - all this feature does is save some time (switching between characters). So the question becomes, is it worth the development resources to implement a feature that only saves players "a few minutes"? The answer goes back to how many players in fact participate in the crew skills and how many of those have multiple characters that they fully care about them running missions and/or crafting on. And I think that the number is far smaller than most here would think.

That's not a question for us to ask or answer really, it's for Bioware. We really should only be putting forward whether or not it would be a useful feature to the game and discussing accordingly.

Let Bioware note how many it might benefit and how popular it would be otherwise we could get into arguing the "developmental resources" line on everything we suggest or Bioware do end up doing.

That's not a question for us to ask or answer really, it's for Bioware. We really should only be putting forward whether or not it would be a useful feature to the game and discussing accordingly.

Let Bioware note how many it might benefit and how popular it would be otherwise we could get into arguing the "developmental resources" line on everything we suggest or Bioware do end up doing.

My point was, that chances are even if this is a good idea (not 100% sure of that), chances are it would not impact enough players to be worth the ROI for BW to do it, and it will therefore not happen. Speculation on my part I know.