General leveling issues

USMCDrey

in my eyes the difficulty or amount of effort required to kill regular mobs is alittle extreme, im not saying that its impossible if it was no one would be lvl 60 but around lvl 30ish i believe lvling stops being fun (at least for me) and starts to be a hassle, frustrating, or just annoying. the problem from what ive seen is standard mob difficulty is alittle to difficult. they deal way to much damage and have way to much health it turns it into a grind fest. and it kills the experience for me ive pushed through it once cause i was into the story of the game and that part i really liked. but i cant do it anymore its to frustrating i spend way to much time killing mobs that do kill me from time to time and healing and getting rdy for the next pull. im rantting now, the only reason im saying anything is becuase this game has the potential to be something so great and i want to enjoy playing it so bad, i do enjoy every other aspect of the game just the frustration of lvling is allmost to much to bear. and im sure some one will be like its lvling its never fun or something like that , and to respound i have this to say i have 15 lvl capped characters on world of warcraft 4 on guildwars 2 , 1 on wild star, and 1 on this game. all mmo's and all require patience and rinse repeat lvling/questing. i mean your suposed to be a bad A** your either some kinda combat ready super solider/freelancer/mercenary or a jedi/sith. lvling in this game i feel like a kid getting smacked down by hulk hogan when im questing later in the game and it kills the experience for me when i can die so easilly. but im rantting bottom line. lvling is to frustrating, way to much down time (healing/reloading), its way to easy to die from regular mobs, and encounters for normal mobs ussually take to long. again this ussually starts like 30-35 some where in there that it starts to become a problem. if anyone wants to add something go ahead and if u want to call me an idiot go ahead. im just sad about how the lvling is later in the game. makes it hard for me to push forward into end game content when i hate what i have to deal with to get there. i ussually do have alot of fun earllier though.

Keep your gear up to scratch and it will be much easier. My Commando spent the entirety of the class story on Preferred status and was at all times below quest level on Voss, and only one quest gave me more than minor difficulty. My gear wasn't 100% up to level (but much closer than at lower levels), and I just stuck it out. (Granted, this was before 3.0 came out with the silver-mob difficulty issues, but even so...)

Its amusing, because the people in charge have said numerous times, you're suppose to feel stronger as you progress, whereas in reality in the game, its quite the opposite... You're actually at your strongest at around the end of the starter planets and it goes downhill from there until you hit max level and geared decently. :rolleyes:

On Hutta I can kill 5 weaks with a single grenade, nowhere else in the game after that is this remotely possible.

Anyway, the single biggest mistake I see people do is skip stuff early on, this is probably the worst thing you can do when youre trying to get to endgame quicker.

Early on, everything dies so fast and your ability to overlevel is at its highest and easiest. You really should be 20 by the time you leave your homeworld, and keep pushing after that, doing the bonus series of Taris/Balmorra and doing the same up until Tatooine, after that, you can then skip all but your class on the next few planets if you like, provided you do a daily kdy/pvp or other stuff to keep you right at the edge of overlevel.

By doing this and keeping around the 5 levels above everything youre fighting, stuff dies so fast, you dont often even have to stop for groups(depending on class) everything just falls over and dies in your path.

This doesnt really take the boredom out of it, but it does take a lot of the grind out of leveling.

Edited by Mowermanx

You mention having 15 level cap toons in WoW and 4 in GW2? I've capped out a gunnery commando using Jorgan the entire time. I've capped out two different arsenal mercs using gault but this is just a mirror to the trooper setup i mentioned already. I've capped out a dps Juggernaut using Vetta then later Jaesa though i had to switch to my healer comp for level cap daily zones. I've gotten 3 levels away from Cap on my Marauder and i played with Vette/Jaesa but had to switch to my healing comp occasionally towards the end of Voss and onwards for certain missions. I've capped out a Sniper using Kaliyo as my comp and then later the fem-droid from Belsavis. Level 40-42 dps Shadow and Assassins using tanking companions. Level 30, 30, and 40 dps Operatives and Scoundrels using a ranged tank. And tons of other alts, even duplicate classes leveled up to 20-30. I have a server with 3 pages of imperial toons and another server with 3 pages of republic toons.

I dont find leveling too hard and i always keep myself within 1-2 levels under/over mobs and objectives.

You mention nothing about what advanced classes you played in SWTOR or what their gear levels were, who your primary companions were and what their gear levels were like, or what a typical rotation was for a pack of just weak/normal or a pack with 1 strong and 1-2 weak/normal. Maybe give us a little info with those so we can see what you are doing wrong with any of those things i mentioned.

I keep my gear updated with blue quality mods, enhancements armoring and barrels and i have thought out my leveling paths and how i spend my comms. I've even taken a standard mob pack of just weak/normal mobs and have a sequence on how i will use my abilities, and on what. My gearing process is outlined in the first link below. I level the best on an arsenal merc and gunnery commando and one of my methods of dealing with standard packs and the second link outlines that. For mercs/commandos i actually have 3-4 ways to deal with a standard/weak pack depending on the scenario. I have rotations for my other classes too, but i like the merc/comm the most because if you pay attention to the video you will see that i take little damage. That is partly due to the burst but more importantly all the 2-3 second CC's i'm throwing out. CC's like explosive dart, missile blast and unload. Other AC's dont have that kind of flexibility with CC"s so instead you have to focus your burst (your burst as well as your companions).

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=8109408&postcount=7

I think to a degree, most MMORPGs are like this. The higher level you get, the more attention you have to pay to your gear and optimizing your character to stay on an even level with mobs.

I think it depends on the class though. For instance, the Sorcerer/Sage, you pretty much just cast Force Lightning/Forcequake on a group, then move on to the next one. Sniper has supressive fire, which is about as good (except needs cover first).

Melee classes are a lot more work though. And you have to deal with being knockbacked and stunned and all that.

I think the slowdown really starts with Makeb though. I have finished the story on several characters and had no problems, and usually I give up before I get that far. Then again, haven't finished Makeb, it's just so slow (in terms of combat) and the story is awful.

Well, when i saw the 15 lvl capped chars in wow, i giggled a bit tbh. And i understand why you have a problem with leveling in this game. Let me ask you, when did you start playing wow, and how long have you been level capped?

I've played wow for years, started a little bit before the Burning Crusade, and quit halfway MoP. Why did I quit? because the game became too easy, you could level a character in no time just by queueing up and no-braining through dungeons, pull smash smash dungeon done.. so yes, this game makes you use a slightly bigger portion of the brain, use your skills properly and heal once in a while. Which 'used' to be the case in wow too, so that explains my question 'when did you start playing wow'

As to this game, leveling isn't hard at all, and if you are getting slammed by mobs or have a problem leveling, there's probably a good reason to it.. Gear not up to date (yours as well as your companions), you skipped too much content and are under the planets target level, you aren't using your arsenal of spells (read interrupt and stun) and are just using a basic attack, ...

Now, tbh, the tactic i was talking about in wow, with the dungeons, guess what, this game has it too. I would suggest queueing for the Kuat Tactical once you get lvl 15, do a couple and go back to the planet, hell, you can lvl all the way with Kuat, and it's not even hard (do i dare to say it's faster then doing quests?).

If you had been new to MMO's I'd say give it some time and get to know the game a bit, how your spells work, etc, but seeing you aren't new to MMO's at all, these things i summed up are just the usual stuff right? nothing different to wow (or is it, since wow is so easy nowadays everything is given to you on a platter)

(And just to prevent misunderstandings, i don't have a problem with wow at all, i loved playing it and i still cherish good memories i had over there.)

I'm level 39 on my first character (I started playing back in 2012 for the free weekend trial, but never continued, despite picking up the Collector's Edition and a couple of time cards (Still not registered them, though the CE is sitting in front of me now... Waiting) finally came back to my character a week ago), and I'm only just on Balmorra - A level 32 planet. Levelling is far too easy, with the possible exception of the bonus missions, though I would in fact say that their difficulty is closer to what I'd prefer.

Level 30 to 35 you start running into snipers or other enemies that can take a ton of your life if not one shot you. I like that this game makes you utilize your interrupts and other side skills. I ran into this with my first character on alderaan, I think the Rist quests had marksmen/sniper silvers.

Only other problem I have had with fighting general mobs, even when under their level by 2 or 3, was equipment for both me and my companion.

In both cases, once I learned to use interrupts and got geared up to level, reqular quest mobs were no problem, and Im far from a good player.

Also, don't forget your CC skill. Tie up the one silver in the mob while you take out the regulars. Just make sure you turn off your companions AOE skills lol. I used to get so pissed at khem.

Huh? Difficulty leveling? Sorry, I might have missed something in the wall of text, but if you're not doing the PvP/FP/Group Stuff/GSF/Space Missions to level and then skipping most of the planetary side quests (a good deal of EXP right there) then you should head through and do those things to keep up to level. The game practically gives away EXP wrapped up with a bow.

I played F2P, and with all of the restrictions, until my main was almost finished with Belsavis, without touching space missions/PvP/FPs/other group stuff and GSF wasn't in the game yet.

Edit: Combat tips said earlier are helpful, as is having a rotation to follow.

Edited by LyraineAlei

I wouldn't say leveling is difficult in SWTOR, sure around level 35 it feels like it levelling is slowing down quite a bit, but it is not much harder... at least in my opinion, and I have played all classes through the entire story. In a sense it reminded me on classical WoW, where levelling got also much slower around the same level range. So maybe in a few years BioWare will make it much easier and give more XP so that people can level faster, just like it happened in WoW.

Well, when i saw the 15 lvl capped chars in wow, i giggled a bit tbh. And i understand why you have a problem with leveling in this game. Let me ask you, when did you start playing wow, and how long have you been level capped?

I've played wow for years, started a little bit before the Burning Crusade, and quit halfway MoP. Why did I quit? because the game became too easy, you could level a character in no time just by queueing up and no-braining through dungeons, pull smash smash dungeon done.. so yes, this game makes you use a slightly bigger portion of the brain, use your skills properly and heal once in a while. Which 'used' to be the case in wow too, so that explains my question 'when did you start playing wow'

As to this game, leveling isn't hard at all, and if you are getting slammed by mobs or have a problem leveling, there's probably a good reason to it.. Gear not up to date (yours as well as your companions), you skipped too much content and are under the planets target level, you aren't using your arsenal of spells (read interrupt and stun) and are just using a basic attack, ...

Now, tbh, the tactic i was talking about in wow, with the dungeons, guess what, this game has it too. I would suggest queueing for the Kuat Tactical once you get lvl 15, do a couple and go back to the planet, hell, you can lvl all the way with Kuat, and it's not even hard (do i dare to say it's faster then doing quests?).

If you had been new to MMO's I'd say give it some time and get to know the game a bit, how your spells work, etc, but seeing you aren't new to MMO's at all, these things i summed up are just the usual stuff right? nothing different to wow (or is it, since wow is so easy nowadays everything is given to you on a platter)

(And just to prevent misunderstandings, i don't have a problem with wow at all, i loved playing it and i still cherish good memories i had over there.)

no you are right wow is easy nowa days at least leveling and such. i leveled my first few toons to cap in burnning crusade and ive had at least 5 level cap toons each expansion ussually add 1 or 2. mop i had 9.

basicly the reason i put this up is i allready have to spend alot of time to level i dont feel it should be such a task just to grind my way there im not saying that it needs to be faster or it takes to long i enjoy spending time leveling in any game but this is startwars, none of the characters you play as are standard guys ur suposed to be some kinda bad A**. i cant feel farther from it in this game sure at first its fine but its gets pretty tough later on.

oh yea btw back to the WoW thing BC leveling (difficulty wise) woulda been fine to me even though it was harder then Wrath on, thats fine your arent a jedi knight or a warchief or something crazy your a soilder in that game bottom line.

after readding some of the comment i should clairify, i can level a character up it would just take some extra time but i did it before i can again. its just not fun enough and its such a pain in the A** i dont want to treat leveling like a flashpoint CCing mobs interupting thats fine i do that anyways. this is all my opinion though guys obviously some of u will disagree some might agree with me, im just curious if im the only one that feels this way or not.

Edited by USMCDrey

If I can get to 60 with no AC, then you shouldn't have a problem getting there with one. Hell, I just did Oricon which has some of the strongest champions you'll ever face in the game.

Just learn to pick your fights, know when to use your interrupts, and most of all don't be afraid to play ring-around-the-rosie. You don't need to follow your class description - thinking outside of the box helps you win fights that would otherwise be hopeless.

Not only that, this game has a multitude of ways to help you level so just mix it up. You can also farm while questing to remove the tediousness of questing (if it is indeed tedious to you). The only enemies that might be a problem are the XR-32 droids on Corellia and the critters on Oricon.

Other than that leveling is a breeze.

I find this game to be very easy to level. Are you under leveled or at proper level with under leveled gear (which effectively makes you under leveled)?

When I go to a planet I am usually at the top level for that planet. So it a planet is level 28-32, I'm level 32 or 33 when I get there. I PvP also. And if you want easy experience there is always Kuat Drive Yards. It's about half a level worth of experience per run. The only class in which I've had any semblance of an issue with is sentinel. I can't imagine how that class is even viable if fighting enemies at the level they are.

Some exceptions. Poisons are so overpowered with NPCs. They can stack so many so quickly that tick too fast for too much. I recall collicoids swarms being able to melt my tank companion in less than 5 seconds entirely on DOTs. And I was 5 levels above the content. Had to switch to a healer companion.

To the OP... the issue is gear. You are supposed to spend those coms as you get them. Also select the right build to go with the right Companion. I have to say in 16 years of MMOs this is the EASIEST game to level in so long as you do not just look at your level. Pay attention when you take quest rewards... get the coms available and with the exception of a couple over tuned silvers (which are getting nerfed next major update) soloing is silly easy. even then use your "special" companion only abilities and cooldowns and even those overtuned silvers go down fairly easy.

PS by Companion choice I mean the following... I will use jedi Knight as the example.

When I had T7 I used a dps build. I have field respec so when I was using Kira I went tank build (T7 is a tank, Kira a dps companion) When I got Doc I alternated to get a feel... Tank with dps gear was the "safest" but straight dps killed stuff faster and as long as I did nothing stupid I was good so long as I wasn't say level 45 in level 30 odd gear.

Edited by Ghisallo

I agree that leveling from around 30 (Alderaan or so) got much harder after 3.0 hit.

Silver mobs just hit very hard now

I welcome the challenge, this is my fun, but I agree that can be a problem for fresh players.

BW wanted it to be easier, ended up being harder.

I hope they revisit some instances where the fight is unavoidable and you're facing multiple silver mobs. This may as well end SWTOR adventure for some players, and I'm sure nobody wants that.

Not only that, this game has a multitude of ways to help you level so just mix it up. You can also farm while questing to remove the tediousness of questing (if it is indeed tedious to you). The only enemies that might be a problem are the XR-32 droids on Corellia and the critters on Oricon.[/color]

XR-32 droids? Would they be the golds all over the place that you can avoid trivially? You know, by running down the middle of the road?

Leveling is pretty easy. If you are having problems either:

A. Your gear (or your active comp's gear) is significantly low level.

B. You are low level for the content you're doing.

C. You aren't playing your class correctly.

D. You have a comp out that doesn't gel very well with your play style.

Most likely it's some combination of the 4.

Also which companion you use can help based on your play style. Me perssonally I would rather the mob take a little longer to go down but I don't have to worry about my health as much so I level with a healer. If you are more worried about mobs going down fast and don't mind if you have to stop to self heal in between mobs (which you may if you played WoW) then level with a DPS companion. Only level with a tank comp if you want to practice healing.

I can only think that you are a new player in this game. If that is the case, i can understand that you are now in a phase when you must learn to use some abilities to interrupt your enemies' actions and to stun them. Around lvl 27 your enemies aren't much stronger than before, but they use some powerful attacks that you have to find out and react acordingly to avoid / interrupt them and protect yourself choosing carefully when to use your defensive abilities. The game is just preparing you to learn abilities that are not only shooting and smashing, and you need to learn how to mix all the posibilites you can use in a fight.

If not the first character, then I can't understand why you find so much difficulty in your game. I am a veteran player and usually play 2, 3 or even 4 levels below mission requirement and rarely i face enemies that I can't win; i can be defeated, but very few times.

And no, usually i am not updated on my gear.

Edited by RahaylaCora