BIOWARE MOTO : When in doubt, nerf pyro

jillun

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/thread

Crazy fact: Due to the weird synergy with the bugged set bonus and optimal gearing, the changes in 3.1.1 PTS buff pyro. I did the maths.

Sadly, no one gears perfectly for the DPS increase to be noticable.

Also, moving damage into flamethrower is stupid.

Edited by TACeMossie

• 2 weeks later...
I thought it was :

"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended."

;)

Sadly, I have to agree a bit. Though they have made good adjustments with some things. Guardian changes since 3.0 hit have been pretty right on, I would say.

But some things, like Ops/Scoundrels changes overall, letting all the Vanguard and Sage changes go live with 3.0, yeesh. Not sure what they were thinking.

Crazy fact: Due to the weird synergy with the bugged set bonus and optimal gearing, the changes in 3.1.1 PTS buff pyro. I did the maths.

Whichever way we really want to look at it, the intent was there to nerf Pyro PT. It's a decision I'm failing to grasp, unless they're trying to force players into one spec or another.

Downside to it is, I actually like Pyro and the rotation / procs (and in general it looks and sounds so cool compared to AP). Lucky I have both, but I'd rather not mothball my Pyro or change it to Shield.

Sadly, no one gears perfectly for the DPS increase to be noticable.

Also, moving damage into flamethrower is stupid.

Pretty sure you are incorrect.

Also it has been mined that plasma barrage no longer procs off of HIB only FP, so now energy

has been nerfed as well. GG Bioware I actually didn't think you were this incompetent....

Pretty sure you are incorrect.

Also it has been mined that plasma barrage no longer procs off of HIB only FP, so now energy

has been nerfed as well. GG Bioware I actually didn't think you were this incompetent....

I agree with you, we need to see the math on this, there is now way it's a buff.

Also, why won't they consider fixing Pyro defenses? They don't get the AOE damage reduction. They don't get the 30% defense on sonic missile. They have shield on a 'forever' cd, and kolto overload with the built-in defense. Am I missing anything?

I agree with you, we need to see the math on this, there is now way it's a buff.

Also, why won't they consider fixing Pyro defenses? They don't get the AOE damage reduction. They don't get the 30% defense on sonic missile. They have shield on a 'forever' cd, and kolto overload with the built-in defense. Am I missing anything?

The post was a while back, and later on I found I accidentally buffed flaming fist instead of nerfing it.

However, Pyro post-3.1.1 is still stronger than pre-3.1.1 plasmatech because bugged set bonus -_-

The post was a while back, and later on I found I accidentally buffed flaming fist instead of nerfing it.

However, Pyro post-3.1.1 is still stronger than pre-3.1.1 plasmatech because bugged set bonus -_-

Incoming, rotation breaking, ~400dps nerf to this spec.

GG Bioware, your combat team has no idea what they are doing.

Pyro will be stronger then plasmatech, but AP/Tactics will be as good or better so GG.

Edited by DeedeeSu

Yeah I saw the incoming nerf :(

/flips table

The real problem with the change is it completely breaks the rotation.

Which they worked hard to get right on the closed PTS.

HUGE step back in my opinion for the QOL of the spec and basically means

I'll be playing AP full time now since there is no reason what so ever to play Pyro.

The real problem with the change is it completely breaks the rotation.

Which they worked hard to get right on the closed PTS.

HUGE step back in my opinion for the QOL of the spec and basically means

I'll be playing AP full time now since there is no reason what so ever to play Pyro.

Technically, the rotation has been like this (well with mortar volley instead of scorch) since patch 2.4. 3.0 merely replaced Mortar Volley with Scorch, Stockstrike with Shockstrike and Gut with Incendiary Round.

I've already solved the rotational issues though. The new rotation for Plasmatech (pyro terms because reasons) is...

/drumroll

SCORCH

INCENDIARY MISSILE

FLAMETHROWER

FLAMING FIST

RAIL SHOT

FLAME BURST

IMMOLATE

FLAME BURST

RAPID SHOTS

FLAMING FIST

INCENDIARY MISSILE

FLAMETHROWER

RAPID SHOTS

RAIL SHOT

FLAMING FIST

IMMOLATE

FLAME BURST

RAPID SHOTS

REPEAT

As you can see, you now have to make every second Flamethrower only have 2 stacks, otherwise you run out of resources. This, of course, changes with AoE situations, where it may be beneficial to delay the flaming fist to 15 seconds to get more flame sweeps out for 3 stack flamethrowers.

Note that this makes it even easier for Pyro to abuse the broken 6-piece, assuming they have enough alacrity as the second immolate no longer causes either delays for flaming fist or itself for rotational integrity

Edited by TACeMossie

Technically, the rotation has been like this (well with mortar volley instead of scorch) since patch 2.4. 3.0 merely replaced Mortar Volley with Scorch, Stockstrike with Shockstrike and Gut with Incendiary Round.

I've already solved the rotational issues though. The new rotation for Plasmatech (pyro terms because reasons) is...

/drumroll

SCORCH

INCENDIARY MISSILE

FLAMETHROWER

FLAMING FIST

RAIL SHOT

FLAME BURST

IMMOLATE

FLAME BURST

RAPID SHOTS

FLAMING FIST

INCENDIARY MISSILE

FLAMETHROWER

RAPID SHOTS

RAIL SHOT

FLAMING FIST

IMMOLATE

FLAME BURST

RAPID SHOTS

REPEAT

As you can see, you now have to make every second Flamethrower only have 2 stacks, otherwise you run out of resources. This, of course, changes with AoE situations, where it may be beneficial to delay the flaming fist to 15 seconds to get more flame sweeps out for 3 stack flamethrowers.

Note that this makes it even easier for Pyro to abuse the broken 6-piece, assuming they have enough alacrity as the second immolate no longer causes either delays for flaming fist or itself for rotational integrity

I'd still argue that's a broken rotation since. It's not a good thing that now we have to forgo a 3 stack FT because they broke the rotation. They could have done so many other things to nerf the damage, why they would want to I have no friggin idea.

Also have you tried this on PTS? I feel like you'll still run out of energy with the above rotation.

Edited by DeedeeSu

I'd still argue that's a broken rotation since. It's not a good thing that now we have to forgo a 3 stack FT because they broke the rotation. They could have done so many other things to nerf the damage, why they would want to I have no friggin idea.

Also have you tried this on PTS? I feel like you'll still run out of energy with the above rotation.

I was able to keep it up for 7 minutes straight (smart use of energy cooldowns). However, I couldn't use energy cooldowns to push more damage in - I needed to use them to simply maintain the rotation :mad:

Oh and the maths is in. For Plasmatech, this is a 4.62% DPS nerf. For Pyrotech, its a 4.69% DPS nerf.

The sad thing is 3.1.1 Pyro is equal in performance to live Plasmatech because of how damned powerful the bugged set bonus is, and all these nerfs are happening because "Pyro is overperforming".

/flips table.

Bioware Moto? I want in!! I can ride 250cc or 450cc class.

And btw, nerfing pyro, sounds like Supercross in Atlanta this weekend, and last. I've see better fireworks at a redneck BBQ.

Or, you might have meant motto. To which I would say, yeah...I'm not surprised.

Edited by T-Assassin

I've been out of the loop for too long now, but I just can't bring myself to play full time anymore. What's up with the 6 set?

PYRO ONLY (so no plasmatech-based bug)

Intended effect

Using Flame Burst grants Combat Tech's critical bonus for 30 seconds, which causes your next Immolate to automatically crit. This can only happen every 60 seconds.

Actual effect

Using Flame Burst grants Combat Tech's critical bonus for 30 seconds, which causes all Immolates to automatically crit. This can only happen every 60 seconds. Cooldown reduced by alacrity but duration is not.

thanks for the speedy reply. And yeah, that's kinda nice. too bad it somehow doesn't also apply to flame sweep or something. storm, and aoe blaster attacks need to be toned down a bit.. that or tone up everyone else's single target.

they could at least finally fix flame sweep/explosive surge to apply the dot to all targets, especially with the changes coming to pyro/assault next patch. this would give pyro at least a decent boost in heavy aoe compared to the crazy dps snipers/sorcs have right now by just spamming 1 long channel over and over.

but then again they force us to replace RS with rapid shots, so a lot of it would just regain that lost dps only anyway.

Edited by meisterjedi