Light sith inside the dark empire

Deshiel

This topic is about the position of a light sith in the dark side oriented empire.

It is hinted in the game that every other light side sith (aside from the player only) is actualy being hunted down by the sith and they are trying to remain in hiding but they usualy fail to do so.

This does not however apply to the player warrior/inquisitor.

Aside from snarky remarks about you being too nice to people theres no threath or anything.

The player is pretty much allowed to be light without the need of hiding it.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because you're not a blatant, incompetent murderer that can't see the future for his or the Empire's goals doesn't make you a practitioner of the light. That's where the game's light and dark system fails.

Except for the part where you fight your own inner darkness much like Luke did inside the cave on Tatooine. There's also the fact that Jaeesa, when she sees you, see's you radiating with light. Then there's the Sith Warriors comment to her that like her master he wears a mask to hide what he is to his fellow Sith whereas her master wore a mask of light to hide what he is to his fellow Jedi.

If you pick the light option when going to the temple you take back a Sith's teachings who had changed his ways that teaches a code very similar to the Jedi. Then you argue with the quest giver that his teachings have merit and make sense. The Sith Warrior also speaks about changing the Empire from within and moving it away from a path of darkness. Everything points to the Sith Warrior having converted to the Light Side. On top of that the Jedi you meet don't sense darkness in you, are baffled, and beg you to come to their order because you don't "Fit in" with the rest of your peers.

So how exactly does their alignment system fail? As a Sith Warrior I befriended Jedi (Yes. Befriended. I straight up told a Jedi master who I fought side by side, when he asked what does that make us, friends. I confronted and defeated my inner darkness. I pointed out to a fallen Jedi Master that he was no longer following the code and quoted him on it. While helping his student be true to her beliefs. I brought teachings of Light to the Sith and stood my ground about them having merit. When threatened I told my attackers I didn't want to fight, that they should stand down, and if they attacked I'd be left with no choice to defend myself. I tried in conflicts to negotiate peacefully.)

What is dark about my character other than the fact that he is within the Empire?

As for Deishel, I think they're more open about it. The only reason you get away with it is because these Sith outright preach about the Light Side. Your character is more undercover. In the story the only ones who learn just how "Light" you are is the Jedi you encounter. You sometimes make some unorthodox comments to the Sith but you do argue the "Logic" behind your comments and merely come across as unorthodox.

Edited by Rhyltran

Well, the Sith in general are openly aligned with the Dark Side, but their philosophy is also all about fierce individualism, so there isn't really a rigid orthodoxy to be enforced if an individual skews towards the Light.

Best analogy I can come up with is that favoring the Light Side in the Sith Empire would go over about as well as an American Politician in the '60s saying "hey, that Marx guy might have been on to something" (or a USSR politician being pro-capitalism), it would certainly leave them politically vulnerable/generally unpopular - with the caveat that in the Sith Empire being politically vulnerable will usually make you physically vulnerable, since assassinations/duels to the death are a fairly common way of resolving disputes - ideological or otherwise.

The only way a Sith would be able to survive openly favoring the Light would be if they had a strong enough power-base or were personally powerful enough to offset how much more vulnerable/isolated those views would make them in the literally kill-or-be-killed world of the Sith.

Edited by DarthDymond

Well, the Sith in general are openly aligned with the Dark Side, but their philosophy is also all about fierce individualism, so there isn't really a rigid orthodoxy to be enforced if an individual skews towards the Light.

Best analogy I can come up with is that favoring the Light Side in the Sith Empire would go over about as well as an American Politician in the '60s saying "hey, that Marx guy might have been on to something" (or a USSR politician being pro-capitalism), it would certainly leave them politically vulnerable/generally unpopular - with the caveat that in the Sith Empire being politically vulnerable will usually make you physically vulnerable, since assassinations/duels to the death are a fairly common way of resolving disputes - ideological or otherwise.

The only way a Sith would be able to survive openly favoring the Light would be if they had a strong enough power-base or were personally powerful enough to offset how much more vulnerable/isolated those views would make them in the literally kill-or-be-killed world of the Sith.

That's an excellent way to put it and very true. I like the way you wrote that. I don't think I could have said it better myself.

Just because you're not a blatant, incompetent murderer that can't see the future for his or the Empire's goals doesn't make you a practitioner of the light. That's where the game's light and dark system fails.

It is my greatest disappointment. When Daniel Erickson was lead writer he was asked if the lore aspect of the game would account for things like light side sith remaining in the Empire as patriots and continuing to use fundamentally dark abilities like force lightning or if they were just going to ignore it for the sake of gameplay like hacks. His response was that even a dark Jedi still draws strength from the light side of the Force in TOR and that no matter how dark he became he'd never be as relatively dark as a "light side Sith." In other words, a light Sith would just be a greyer shade of black than those with tier 5 physical corruption.

Apparently the writers underneath him never got the memo. There are dozens of instances where such a coherent and nuanced approach is completely ignored in favor of overt, absolute adherence to the opposite faction's Force order's principles. The Sith Inquisitor releasing his ghosts by "redeeming them with his light" and the Sith Warrior stating verbatim "I walk in the light" are just two of the most disgusting, lazy examples.

It is my greatest disappointment. When Daniel Erickson was lead writer he was asked if the lore aspect of the game would account for things like light side sith remaining in the Empire as patriots and continuing to use fundamentally dark abilities like force lightning or if they were just going to ignore it for the sake of gameplay like hacks. His response was that even a dark Jedi still draws strength from the light side of the Force in TOR and that no matter how dark he became he'd never be as relatively dark as a "light side Sith." In other words, a light Sith would just be a greyer shade of black than those with tier 5 physical corruption.

Apparently the writers underneath him never got the memo. There are dozens of instances where such a coherent and nuanced approach is completely ignored in favor of overt, absolute adherence to the opposite faction's Force order's principles. The Sith Inquisitor releasing his ghosts by "redeeming them with his light" and the Sith Warrior stating verbatim "I walk in the light" are just two of the most disgusting, lazy examples.

Indeed, which I was honestly exciting for. In the beginning people would claim the Light Sith would follow the ways of Light Sided users and at the time, I an others, were arguing against them stating the Light Sith would be more akin to Dooku vs Palpatine and a Dark Jedi would be more like Windu in personality than fallen anakin skywalker. Capable and willing to make harsh decisions that better effect the Empire. This was apparently scrapped in favor of being true Light/Dark side on the respective factions unless you play as the Consular which seems to fit exactly what Eric is stating.

However, as mentioned, this didn't happen. In the end you can be true Light Side as a Sith Warrior/Inquisitor while remaining hidden in the Empire.

I think you'd find it's not that easy for Imperials to openly accuse high ranking, influential Sith of anything. Some kid fresh out of the Academy who's being kind to his neighbors and brings baby kittens to his Master is a pretty obvious target. In a culture where deception is basically essential, however, those cases are few and far between. Most of those sentimental types don't survive the trials on Korriban.

Deception and intrigue make it very hard to distinguish true sentimentality from guile in the Empire. A lot of Sith use pleasantness as a facade in order to confuse rivals and manipulate others into doing their bidding. These Sith come across as Light Side but their actions may belie that later. Take Darth Zash for example. Darth Silthar also comes to mind. He came across as pleasant, well mannered and considerate yet he clearly showed the effects of Dark Side corruption in his face. You never do see him acting evil.

Lastly is the amount of power a Sith has at his or her command. Even if the player chooses Light Side the fact remains that they are possessed of tremendous amounts of Force Power and that they're using that power against the Republic. That goes a long way towards other Sith turning a blind eye to that time they spared some incompetent flunky or chose to give a quick death to someone rather than prolong their suffering through torture. It may seem like weakness to someone but would YOU accuse someone as powerful as a Dark Council member of being soft?

The fact of the matter is, the player is an effective agent of the Empire. Light Side or not they end up killing hundreds of the Empire's enemies and further the goals of said Empire on numerous worlds. With the Empire floundering every asset is needed. Should they eventually prove triumphant the activities of the player MAY be examined more thoroughly by the Dark Council but it's doubtful. It's simply not in the Empire's best interests to try to bring accusations against one of their most powerful Sith.

I think you'd find it's not that easy for Imperials to openly accuse high ranking, influential Sith of anything. Some kid fresh out of the Academy who's being kind to his neighbors and brings baby kittens to his Master is a pretty obvious target. In a culture where deception is basically essential, however, those cases are few and far between. Most of those sentimental types don't survive the trials on Korriban.

Deception and intrigue make it very hard to distinguish true sentimentality from guile in the Empire. A lot of Sith use pleasantness as a facade in order to confuse rivals and manipulate others into doing their bidding. These Sith come across as Light Side but their actions may belie that later. Take Darth Zash for example. Darth Silthar also comes to mind. He came across as pleasant, well mannered and considerate yet he clearly showed the effects of Dark Side corruption in his face. You never do see him acting evil.

Lastly is the amount of power a Sith has at his or her command. Even if the player chooses Light Side the fact remains that they are possessed of tremendous amounts of Force Power and that they're using that power against the Republic. That goes a long way towards other Sith turning a blind eye to that time they spared some incompetent flunky or chose to give a quick death to someone rather than prolong their suffering through torture. It may seem like weakness to someone but would YOU accuse someone as powerful as a Dark Council member of being soft?

The fact of the matter is, the player is an effective agent of the Empire. Light Side or not they end up killing hundreds of the Empire's enemies and further the goals of said Empire on numerous worlds. With the Empire floundering every asset is needed. Should they eventually prove triumphant the activities of the player MAY be examined more thoroughly by the Dark Council but it's doubtful. It's simply not in the Empire's best interests to try to bring accusations against one of their most powerful Sith.

^^this. Well said.

There are many aspects of evil/dark side. I currently play a LS Siith Warrior and there are many possibilities. There were several options when you could make an initial LS choice, only to revert it later, "i lied" sort of thing and slaughter everyone. This is different DS than (as I first played SW) just to kill anyone given the opportunity.

And conversely, making LS choices you can still be on the Dark Side. Your means might be LS but your ends are DS still. For example you may spare someone (LS choice) when they give you the information you needed. But the information was essential to the genocidal Empire, or evil maniacal Baras. So maybe you spared someone just to make it easier for Empire to slaughter hundreds of innocents. German officers used to be well mannered gentlemen, none the less supporting the Holocaust

There are great books by Joe Abercrombie "First Law Saga". We see things in the main protagonist's point of view. He views himself as decent, even if somewhat flawed individual. We tend to see him this way too, especially taking into account his sense of honour, loyality for friends, his own understanding of good/evil, his own version of the past, his regrets. But by the end of the last book (there are three) we learn that he is actually a villain. At least in others peoples eyes. His last former friend/adversary tells him" You know who is worse than a villain? A villain that thinks himself good". Is he a hero or villain? We have to judge ourselves.

I see a LS Sith this way. They may not realize that they are actually evil. They may say things like "I walk a light path" when actually they don't. But fact remains they support the "bad guys", they aim to strenghten the "force of evil".

And still is Sith Empire evil? Its citizens surely don't see themselves evil. They may think that bringing order (their order) and civilization is worth sacrificing some aliens/innocents etc. Roman Empire, or Third Reich didn't consider themselves evil or dark, and might be if the Germans won the WWII history would be written otherwise and they still wouldn't have any remorse for how they achieved their new order.

Old Republic is surely shown in this game as not crystal clear either. Corruption, violence, personal gain, ruthlessness, etc.

Point is, Dark/Light is what you see yourself. You can play a LS Sith, that is beneficial for the Empire and thus valuable. And by the way, those destructive, sadistic ones couldn't have built an Empire anyway.

Edited by jstankaroslo

dark side on sith side is pretty much about torture, killing, your own profits. light side is working for the empire and using people instead killing them. sometimes dark side choices are fun like "ill drink your blood" or sith warrior pretending to eat his enemies :tran_tongue:

Except for the part where you fight your own inner darkness much like Luke did inside the cave on Tatooine. There's also the fact that Jaeesa, when she sees you, see's you radiating with light. Then there's the Sith Warriors comment to her that like her master he wears a mask to hide what he is to his fellow Sith whereas her master wore a mask of light to hide what he is to his fellow Jedi.

If you pick the light option when going to the temple you take back a Sith's teachings who had changed his ways that teaches a code very similar to the Jedi. Then you argue with the quest giver that his teachings have merit and make sense. The Sith Warrior also speaks about changing the Empire from within and moving it away from a path of darkness. Everything points to the Sith Warrior having converted to the Light Side. On top of that the Jedi you meet don't sense darkness in you, are baffled, and beg you to come to their order because you don't "Fit in" with the rest of your peers.

So how exactly does their alignment system fail? As a Sith Warrior I befriended Jedi (Yes. Befriended. I straight up told a Jedi master who I fought side by side, when he asked what does that make us, friends. I confronted and defeated my inner darkness. I pointed out to a fallen Jedi Master that he was no longer following the code and quoted him on it. While helping his student be true to her beliefs. I brought teachings of Light to the Sith and stood my ground about them having merit. When threatened I told my attackers I didn't want to fight, that they should stand down, and if they attacked I'd be left with no choice to defend myself. I tried in conflicts to negotiate peacefully.)

What is dark about my character other than the fact that he is within the Empire?

As for Deishel, I think they're more open about it. The only reason you get away with it is because these Sith outright preach about the Light Side. Your character is more undercover. In the story the only ones who learn just how "Light" you are is the Jedi you encounter. You sometimes make some unorthodox comments to the Sith but you do argue the "Logic" behind your comments and merely come across as unorthodox.

1) Based off previous decisions your character made in the game.

2) That isn't a class quest, and anyone can do that. Irrelevant.

3) So you're a traitor now?

4) The Sith Warrior doesn't teach the Empire anything. The SW is a privileged child that eventually becomes a glorified executioner. Without the Emperor he is politically powerless.

Unlike the Jedi, the Sith won't outright attack or banish you just for doing light side things, they'll see it as eccentricity, there are those who build altars of baby-skulls, and then there are those who nurse stray kittens. It's your own business what you do in your spare time, but your depravity may make you look weak, and a weak sith is fair game, so you better be very powerful or completely irrelevant.

I always saw my Sith being light side as a weakness, at least considering his position as, well, a Sith. Personally, I don't think someone like my Light V Warrior would rise to such a high position of power, and that is why I never use the Darth title on him. Though one thing I've noticed about the game is that it sometimes allows you to make decisions that should have the potential to affect you negatively or come back to bite you in the future, but don't. At least not really.

Of course, as has been pointed out, some light side tendencies could be written off as eccentricities or merely a deceptively pleasant facade. But I think a Sith that was very light aligned could only cover it up so much before it would limit their dealings with other Sith, and likely their potential to acquire power as well. And being perceived as weak can be dangerous, even if you are not! I think a light side Sith could still become fairly powerful and respected if they tried hard enough and were strong enough, but IMHO they'd never reach the heights that they could as a "proper" Sith.

Just my 2 credits. :)

1) Based off previous decisions your character made in the game.

2) That isn't a class quest, and anyone can do that. Irrelevant.

3) So you're a traitor now?

4) The Sith Warrior doesn't teach the Empire anything. The SW is a privileged child that eventually becomes a glorified executioner. Without the Emperor he is politically powerless.

1) Yes. Your lightside choices. Exactly what I'm talking about. What's your point here? If you follow every lightside choice it's clear your Sith Warrior follows the lightside rather than the Dark Side. You made a statement earlier that the system is stupid because you can be a Dark Sided character without being a psychopath. This is completely correct and the system showcases this.

You won't be Dark 5 but if you devote yourself to the Dark Side entirely you are a psychopath. The game's reflections showcases that rather well. Likewise, if you keep making positive choices, being merciful, and showing compassion you are following the Light Side not the dark. Again, the game shows that rather well.

2. Sure, anyone can but as the Sith Warrior I was speaking about when you're discussing things with Jaessa's master. In this case it's different as you can help the Padawan realize that her master is wrong and that she should continue following the Light Side of the force. You can turn her to the dark side or help her remain with the light. If you're a Dark Side Sith Warrior there's no reason not to convert her. Unless you're no longer following the dark side yourself.

3. Traitor? In the eyes of many Sith sure. If they found out about many of the warriors choices (if you pick the light options) they'd certainly see you as such. You let targets escape, you lie about killing certain individuals, you actively hide people, release enemies from Sith custody, and your overall goal is stated to be to change the empire from within (To Jaessa) and you help her pursue that goal. You would at the very least be branded a heretic if not an outright traitor.

4. If you follow the Light Side storyline the Warrior himself would probably disagree. He's certainly no executioner with how many times he shows mercy and he certainly uses his station and position to try to achieve his goals. My only point is that playing a warrior who follows the Light is very possible in the storyline and Bioware knows what they're doing. Just because you believe it's possible to play a noble and pure good dark side character doesn't mean it makes sense within the star wars universe.

It doesn't. You can't be a nice person while following the dark side (Unless you're a really good manipulator like Palpatine and other Sith but inwardly they aren't who they appear on the outside). Which this game shows. If you're a good person you're following in the path of the Light. If you're not you're following the path of darkness. Star Wars isn't about moral ambiguity. It's about Light Vs Darkness. Dark characters generally aren't good people in the star wars universe. To devote oneself to the dark side is to devote oneself to Evil. The Dark Side was designed to represent evil.

Of course there's different levels of Dark. Dooku obviously wasn't as "Evil" as Palpatine. Their system works great within the confines of Star Wars. In other IP's? No it wouldn't work but that's exactly why they don't have something similar in mass effect and Dragon Age. This system exists in the KOTOR and SWTOR games because it works fantastically.

Edited by Rhyltran

If you are on the Light end of the alignment bar as a Sith Inquisitor:

On the mission where the player confronts Darth Zash in the Dark Temple, she will commend your talent and state that she has arranged for your recognition as a lord graduated from apprenticeship. However, she chides you for failing to seize power for yourself and gain further command of the Force at several opportunities and asks if you truly understand what it means to be Sith. You can retort that your character takes the longer and wider view and believes in every action having a purpose, but she will tell you that power is its own end.

However, it's also clear that Dark V doesn't earn much more respect in the Empire. In the breadcrumb mission for the Oricon hub, Darth Marr refers to Lord Harken in a clearly nonplussed tone as "a braggart and a sadist", and Harken's codex entry implies that his cackling villainy is why despite being a powerful and accomplish lord he has never been recognized as a Darth.

While the game will let players be a so-called Sith every bit as light-sided as a pious Jedi, the narrative also suggests that only the flavor that's still dark but believes in higher ideals than power at any price tend to go the furthest and last the longest.

If you are on the Light end of the alignment bar as a Sith Inquisitor:

On the mission where the player confronts Darth Zash in the Dark Temple, she will commend your talent and state that she has arranged for your recognition as a lord graduated from apprenticeship. However, she chides you for failing to seize power for yourself and gain further command of the Force at several opportunities and asks if you truly understand what it means to be Sith. You can retort that your character takes the longer and wider view and believes in every action having a purpose, but she will tell you that power is its own end.

However, it's also clear that Dark V doesn't earn much more respect in the Empire. In the breadcrumb mission for the Oricon hub, Darth Marr refers to Lord Harken in a clearly nonplussed tone as "a braggart and a sadist", and Harken's codex entry implies that his cackling villainy is why despite being a powerful and accomplish lord he has never been recognized as a Darth.

While the game will let players be a so-called Sith every bit as light-sided as a pious Jedi, the narrative also suggests that only the flavor that's still dark but believes in higher ideals than power at any price tend to go the furthest and last the longest.

Indeed. I think the best Sith are probably those who would end up around Dark 2-3. Dark 5 end up complete psychopaths who are just as dangerous to the empire as their own enemies. Whereas Light 5 makes other Sith question your true allegiance.

Darth Marr is starting to become my favorite Sith in the old republic. He's definitely of "Dark" alignment but he's.. different.

Edited by Rhyltran

A couple of thoughts here, though I might be overlapping what other people have said.

First off, The Force as we see it is probably the most powerful thing that any person can wield. And, much like firearms did for warfare during the Renaissance, it's an "any man" thing. Anyone can be a force user: it's not bound to race, gender, class, or anything else you can name.

One of the Sith trainers (I think it's the Warrior one) refers to The Force as a weapon but that's perhaps a bit too simplified. It's far more than that. There's a reason that a mind trick is called a "trick". It seems to be on about the same level as pulling a quarter from behind someone's ear is to stage magic. There are far, far, more powerful abilities: from Bastilla's battle meditation (which can affect every being and machine in a star system) to the Sith Emperor's supposed immortality.

As far as accusing Sith, how suicidal would you have to be to accuse someone of a crime when they can kill you: not from another room but from the other side of the galaxy?

A couple of thoughts here, though I might be overlapping what other people have said.

First off, The Force as we see it is probably the most powerful thing that any person can wield. And, much like firearms did for warfare during the Renaissance, it's an "any man" thing. Anyone can be a force user: it's not bound to race, gender, class, or anything else you can name.

One of the Sith trainers (I think it's the Warrior one) refers to The Force as a weapon but that's perhaps a bit too simplified. It's far more than that. There's a reason that a mind trick is called a "trick". It seems to be on about the same level as pulling a quarter from behind someone's ear is to stage magic. There are far, far, more powerful abilities: from Bastilla's battle meditation (which can affect every being and machine in a star system) to the Sith Emperor's supposed immortality.

As far as accusing Sith, how suicidal would you have to be to accuse someone of a crime when they can kill you: not from another room but from the other side of the galaxy?

I just want to say that not everyone can use the force. There are force sensitives and non force sensitives and non force sensitives could never be Jedi/Sith. I think you know this but I feel it must be said.

Sigh, my phone must've been hungry because it ate my long, thoughtful post so now the short and stupid version

I like the discussion on the SW but if I may interject with one about the SI and the light side.

with the backgroundof the SI in mind (slavery and all the abuses and indignities that entails) a friend and I were brainstorming this very thing and could come up with only 3 reasons for playing the Sithiest Sith Inquisitor: you're a product of your environment like an abused puppy who became a snarling dog, you're an entitled thug on the other side of the table and willing to dish out what you were served in your former life, or you're an extremist just trying to fit in (odd but plausible to, say, murder because its expected of you)

now what I find interesting (and relevant to this discussion) is that none of this precludes you from being the embodiment of the Good Is Not Nice trope (because how would one survive slavery under the Sith and the Academy by being nice?) and is precisely what I have intended for my current play through, though to be fair this does not mean "the light side ending"

in any case I am glad we do have more of a choice in SWtOR than in other Star Wars games, that is White Knight or Stupid Evil, but I lament the fact that we have an MMO which prevents is from truly exploring the possibilities

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoodIsNotNice for reference

Edited by Vicentegrev

Sigh, my phone must've been hungry because it ate my long, thoughtful post so now the short and stupid version

I like the discussion on the SW but if I may interject with one about the SI and the light side.

with the backgroundof the SI in mind (slavery and all the abuses and indignities that entails) a friend and I were brainstorming this very thing and could come up with only 3 reasons for playing the Sithiest Sith Inquisitor: you're a product of your environment like an abused puppy who became a snarling dog, you're an entitled thug on the other side of the table and willing to dish out what you were served in your former life, or you're an extremist just trying to fit in (odd but plausible to, say, murder because its expected of you)

now what I find interesting (and relevant to this discussion) is that none of this precludes you from being the embodiment of the Good Is Not Nice trope (because how would one survive slavery under the Sith and the Academy by being nice?) and is precisely what I have intended for my current play through, though to be fair this does not mean "the light side ending"

in any case I am glad we do have more of a choice in SWtOR than in other Star Wars games, that is White Knight or Stupid Evil, but I lament the fact that we have an MMO which prevents is from truly exploring the possibilities

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoodIsNotNice for reference

Honestly the good is not nice trope can be done in SWTOR. You just won't be Light 5. You'd probably fall under light 1-2 or Dark 1-2 depending on choices being made.

I don't really view the force as actually "concious" in a way. It speaks to both users on both sides..... I see the force as something that presents many options for a force sensitive. And his or her choices and intentions can determine if it's light or dark. Cause the living force can in some ways lead a Jedi to break the code. That does not make them light or dark in any way. And the person's choice is the light and dark side. I like the grey path for it is more humble in some aspects and still has the individualism as presented on the sith side. Certain emotions stemmed from love and compassion I would say are important to any sentient. Anger is normal. But feeding anger through hate and fear is the way to the dark side.

I don't really view the force as actually "concious" in a way. It speaks to both users on both sides..... I see the force as something that presents many options for a force sensitive. And his or her choices and intentions can determine if it's light or dark. Cause the living force can in some ways lead a Jedi to break the code. That does not make them light or dark in any way. And the person's choice is the light and dark side. I like the grey path for it is more humble in some aspects and still has the individualism as presented on the sith side. Certain emotions stemmed from love and compassion I would say are important to any sentient. Anger is normal. But feeding anger through hate and fear is the way to the dark side.

Right but there are such thing as Light/Dark powers and even if you use "Dark" powers for good it will still lead you to eventually falling especially since..

Force Lightning is fed through hatred. You must channel your HATRED in order to use it. The thing is one dark action does not make someone dark but many dark actions do. The dark side is described and canonically is a very corrupting influence. You can become "corrupted" and the dark side can "Twist" you. Force sensitives must be more wary of their emotions/thoughts because they are more susceptible than normal people so laws/rules with normal people don't exactly apply to force sensitives.

The force does have a sense of consciousness even if it's not an actual "deity." Anakin was conceived by the force in order to bring about Balance. The Clone Wars t.v. series is also canon and there's the episode in the clone wars..

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Ones

My SW is Light 5. But, he doesn't advertise that fact. Nobody but Jaesa and maybe Vette are aware of that. In fact, IIRC there is a point where Pearce confronts you and Jaesa about being light side. You assure him that that is not true and not to worry.

If a trusted member of my crew is unaware that I am a Light-side Sith, I doubt the Empire, let alone the other Sith, are aware of it. Even Quinn seems unaware of my "walking the Light path".

Also, while Jaesa seems kind of gung-ho, and wants to reform the Empire, I encourage her to keep it to ourselves IOW, yes, Jaesa, I am Light, but don't tell anyone or we will be much worse for others knowing. I think I remember being reluctant to even contact other "Light" Sith and encouraging Jaesa to be cautious in case it was a trap.

Edited by Tyrloch

The Sith Code is based on Passion, not evil, not megalomania. Stomping kittens and burning (your own) people for fun is inefficient and ultimately, costly for the Empire.

And though I know it's not Lucas/Disney canon, I always saw the Dark Side/Light Side to be not evil/good, but more like yin/yang. Both are needed, neither are inherently more moral than the other.

My SW was my first character to Light V.