Character Name

Fevee

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/261/9/c/name_not_available_by_ihamby-d7zp6ql.gif

Not as much of a fanart as it is a complaint/suggestion.

There are 24 separate attempts and 24 variances of the name I wanted for this character. How many times must we butcher our desired character names? Not all of us create spontaneous character designs, some of us have premeditated -set in stone- faces, outfits, and names we'd like to adorn our characters with. However, this current naming system makes that ridiculously hard, I would really like to see a system where we can actually name our characters what we want to name them.

Edited by CommunityDroidEN

Ok so that's a some what valid suggestion but why did you make it in the Fan art section of the forums?

I wondered the same thing myself. On a side note Ilayas I started reading through your comics this week (First time browsing the fan art forum this week). You're a great artist I really love your work. Keep it up you're amazing!!!

*snip*

Not as much of a fanart as it is a complaint/suggestion.

There are 24 separate attempts and 24 variances of the name I wanted for this character. How many times must we butcher our desired character names? Not all of us create spontaneous character designs, some of us have premeditated -set in stone- faces, outfits, and names we'd like to adorn our characters with. However, this current naming system makes that ridiculously hard, I would really like to see a system where we can actually name our characters what we want to name them.

You can wait until the next round of name deletions (where any free account with characters under - iirc - level 30 who haven't played in X days get the name removed, and similar applies to Preferred accounts), or you can try hunting down the person with the name you want and try buying it off them. Because, unfortunately, if the name's taken, it's taken by another player. Bioware have gone with an old, simplistic naming system, sure, but as demonstrated by the use of the name deletions, they don't seem to have the infrastructure to support completely changing the entire way the naming system works (which, I'm guessing, you would like to have tied to a unique account ID, something like Dave@Darth_FluffyPantsVIII, but presents as Dave in-game), because of the fact they've got a pretty weird game engine which can't support a lot of things.

I get your complaint - trust me, I had to wait about a year, stalking this level 10 Republic alt until it magically disappeared in order to be able to change my main's name to one he has now -... well, I would say "what you're asking for can't be done", but you haven't really made a suggestion. I just guessed.

I would really like to see a system where we can actually name our characters what we want to name them.

You do know you can't have those names because someone else already is using it?

Allowing multiple of the same name is entirely possible but in an MMO where a unique name is how you identify someone, having a thousand people with the same horribly predictable star wars themed name on the same server removes individual identity from that tag.

So you now need some other permanent label to identify that character, on top of titles etc etc also being displayed.

You must suffer not having total name control in order to be unique.

You could try using special characters. Those tend to work.

For example I have;

LØL

ØMG

RØll

ßoom

ßis

etc etc

Special characters are for special people...griefers, people who want everybody to know what their name isn't, and people who don't think (or care) about other people but still want to play a game with them.

You do know you can't have those names because someone else already is using it?

Allowing multiple of the same name is entirely possible but in an MMO where a unique name is how you identify someone, having a thousand people with the same horribly predictable star wars themed name on the same server removes individual identity from that tag.

So you now need some other permanent label to identify that character, on top of titles etc etc also being displayed.

This is one of those "its always been done this way" kind of explanations. Sorry, that is all total BS. We live on a plant with over 7 billion people and a lot of the same name floating around. What makes us unique is us, not our names. And so many names are taken already its dang near impossible to make any kind of name that works, so then we start getting people with the random stupid names with all the little accent marks and umlauts, or compound names like "Saberstabbyguy". I'd rather have a 1000 Lukes then 1 of those types of names.

@ the OP

The Dev's hardly pay any attention to this subsection of the forums. Just because you can imbed and image here doesn't mean anyone that actually do anything will actually listen to you. So congrats you made a gif that no one in power will probably ever see. People who make complaints on twitter have a much higher success rate it seems you should try complaining there instead.

I wondered the same thing myself. On a side note Ilayas I started reading through your comics this week (First time browsing the fan art forum this week). You're a great artist I really love your work. Keep it up you're amazing!!!

Aww thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying me comic. :)

I'd rather have a 1000 Lukes

Go on then lets hear your thoughtful solutions to the following scenarios:

Text based chat box, 12 people called Luke on the fleet, you want to reply to what Luke said and not what Luke said.

A raid containing three people called Luke, all are sentinels who roleplay with one sabre. This raid needs co-ordination (but not much dps).

You may indeed be a special snowflake behind the screen but in a MMO you're just another cookie cutter sprite on the screen which needs a unique non space hogging label so someone can tell at a glance that you are Luke1 the crafter selling BiS implants and not Luke3 who is a jerk that queues for rated solo in pve gear and throws the game.

I'm guessing you're choosing to ignore the fact that without unique names you're going to have a ****ton of problems, right?

Yes, there should be another character name clean, but you're still going to end up having to scrap a lot of names off your potential character list, because they will be taken again / still.

Text based chat box, 12 people called Luke on the fleet, you want to reply to what Luke said and not what Luke said.

A raid containing three people called Luke, all are sentinels who roleplay with one sabre. This raid needs co-ordination (but not much dps).

Right, but Kail, Kailan, Kailen, Cailen, Cailan, Kael, Kaelan, Kaelen, Cael, Caelan, Caelen, Kayl, Kaylan, Cayl, Caylen, Caylan, Kaylen, Kaylin, Caylin, Kaelin, Caelin, Kailin, and Cailin all on the same fleet or in the same ops group isn't going to provide any confusion at all.

You could try using special characters. Those tend to work.

For example I have;

LØL

ØMG

RØll

ßoom

ßis

etc etc

1.) I refer you to Eartharioch's comment.

2.) No one can casually spell those out characters.

3.) I'd rather not be on a team with Níhilus, Nìhilus, Níhílus, Níhìlus, Nìhìlus, oh, and let's not forget Nìhilus. That's not going to cause any confusion whatsoever.

Right, but Kail, Kailan, Kailen, Cailen, Cailan, Kael, Kaelan, Kaelen, Cael, Caelan, Caelen, Kayl, Kaylan, Cayl, Caylen, Caylan, Kaylen, Kaylin, Caylin, Kaelin, Caelin, Kailin, and Cailin all on the same fleet or in the same ops group isn't going to provide any confusion at all.

Friend of mine and I make pairs of characters with a 1 letter difference, (Symyr, Symyrr or Myrst Myrrst etc...) and level together. We're in the same guild, we do FP's and WZ's together and we're almost never mistaken for each other. So, yeah I call BS as someone who TRIED to cause that kind of issue.

People can be stupid, but more often than not they're smart enough to catch that 1 letter, most of those are 2 or more different from each other. I sure as hell won't confuse Kael and Cailin in an Ops group.

Edited by StarSquirrel

1.) I refer you to Eartharioch's comment.

2.) No one can casually spell those out characters.

3.) I'd rather not be on a team with Níhilus, Nìhilus, Níhílus, Níhìlus, Nìhìlus, oh, and let's not forget Nìhilus. That's not going to cause any confusion whatsoever.

Honesty in an Ops group who is honestly paying attention to names? In the ones I have been a part of they are using voice chat to give information on how to do things.

Honesty in an Ops group who is honestly paying attention to names? In the ones I have been a part of they are using voice chat to give information on how to do things.

In my guild it's usually our TS handle or the person's main's name (whichever you learn first).

Only time I've ever had any confusion based on names, is when my TS handle has been Roro and I've been running with someone named Rose. And that isn't all that confusing, as I'm a die-hard healer and they were tank/DPS.

Also, OP ignored my post about the game engine wasn't built to handle the naming convention he wants, which exists in other games ):< Bad guy OP

This is one of those "its always been done this way" kind of explanations. Sorry, that is all total BS. We live on a plant with over 7 billion people and a lot of the same name floating around. What makes us unique is us, not our names. And so many names are taken already its dang near impossible to make any kind of name that works, so then we start getting people with the random stupid names with all the little accent marks and umlauts, or compound names like "Saberstabbyguy". I'd rather have a 1000 Lukes then 1 of those types of names.

That plant you live on must be huge, like the size of a planet or something. Also, people work hard for their reputations, and their names are how they are recognized. With your less than clever solution, I could make a toon with your name, and let the *******ery commence. No thanks.