Gunnery or Assault for long range?

ditchweed

commando is all ranged.....

^^^^This, vanguards are the melee advanced class of the trooper with a cpl ranged abilities but to maximize dps/tank on a vg need to be melee. Sry I went off topic, either tree is ranged for commando

commando is all ranged.....

I'm aware, but the description of Commando's role is: - "Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing"

So I was thinking if any of the 2 skill trees had more long range abilities than the other. Maybe one of them has it's best abilities at mid-range? I want to be able to delivier top dps from as far away as possible (30m?).

I'm aware, but the description of Commando's role is: - "Mid - Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing"

So I was thinking if any of the 2 skill trees had more long range abilities than the other. Maybe one of them has it's best abilities at mid-range? I want to be able to delivier top dps from as far away as possible (30m?).

Every single ability that is used in either Assault or Gunnery's rotation can be used at up to 30 meters. There is no such thing as mid range.

Those mentions of mid rage are I think some left overs form early development of the game. From what I read somewhere they were planning vanguards as semi-ranged class not melee like they made them and probably they also planned some other classes with such skills. Then they thought it would be unbalanced and simplified everything.

Mid-long range is the range you want to be at not through limitations of your attacks but because close range is the ideal range for melee to beat the crap out of you or worse, cripple your output by interrupting every cast you try to do. While killing someone else.

Slight issue with keeping that range since all melee have abilities to instantly or stealth gap close your maximum range.

Also your best AOE has a minimum range which prevents you placing it over yourself, considerably more useful if the targets are not in your face.

For reference, commandos do not have the best range, that goes to gunslingers and sages with 35m range. For unknown reasons its 30m for commandos.

For reference, commandos do not have the best range, that goes to gunslingers and sages with 35m range. For unknown reasons its 30m for commandos.

Sages only have 35m on three attacks (Disturbance, Turbulence, Telekinetic Wave) and that's only in one specc, namely Telekinetics, and even that only, if a skill point is allocated in that talent, which many Sages don't even do.

Used to be the same for Slingers: They couldn't throw grenades and stuff from 30m, only shooting was possible. They changed that with 2.0., increasing the range of ALL slinger attacks to 35m.

So the range "disadvantage" for Commandos is pretty much only against Gunslingers, and that's not by intentional design, it's just a result of buffing another class.