Downtime: Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014

TaitWatson

Hey everyone!

We will be having a short period of downtime on Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014 from 3:30AM - 4:30AM PDT (10:30AM - 11:30AM GMT).

There will be no Patch Notes associated with this downtime, and your client will not download any additional files, as we are just restarting the servers.

Thank you for your patience!

-Tait

Edited by TaitWatson

Do you feel at all sorry for all the APAC players who's primetime your repeatedly spitting on with... what is this now, the 4th or 5th downtime in two weeks?

Even for a new update that's pushing it and I've been here quite a while now.

If it wasn't APAC players complaining, it will be NA and there are a lot more people to piss off in NA than APAC players. The lesser of two evils would be to do it in the time the majority will not be affected, and unfortunately, that means updates during APAC prime time.

APAC players have already suffered 4 prime time server outages in a fortnight and now you want to schedule a 5th in the very next week?

I think it's time you start providing CC or extra sub time as compensation to APAC players because it's not right that you charge full price for a subscription we can only use part of the time :(

Edited by Solloby

If it wasn't APAC players complaining, it will be NA and there are a lot more people to piss off in NA than APAC players. The lesser of two evils would be to do it in the time the majority will not be affected, and unfortunately, that means updates during APAC prime time.

Sorry but that's bull if the "only" time available that doesn't destroy the majority of NA just so happens to be the majority of APAC.

Freaking 3 am US time, why not midnight? Why not 6 am? Can't let APAC have primetime but US can have 6 am fine and dandy? Give me a break.

APAC players have already suffered 4 prime time server outages in a fortnight and now you want to schedule a 5th in the very next week?

I think it's time you start providing CC or extra sub time as compensation to APAC players because it's not right that you charge full price for a subscription we can only use part of the time :(

Downtime works the same way for everyone, regardless of the time of day it's taking place.

Get over yourself.

So there I was minding my own business in the pvp que and I got sent to some random *** load screen that never loads. After repairing the game 3 times this week, and 4 bug reports of which I got your stupid *** auto reply from this bug has not been addressed yet.

Do me a favor you BW morons, refund the next 2 weeks of my subscription for me and I'll quit the game. I'm tired of the level of total incompetence you and your employees show every week.

And it seems just to add insult to injury now its a 10 minute wait for me to get back on to my server. *** bioware you asses haven't refunded my subscription yet why do I have to wait to get in while a bunch of F2P are online!

It wasn't a bug, the servers went down. If you knew anything about computers, you'd know it can happen to any one, at any time. The fact that it rarely happens is pretty amazing. If you'd checked the server status before running repair, you'd have known this.

Sorry but that's bull if the "only" time available that doesn't destroy the majority of NA just so happens to be the majority of APAC.

Freaking 3 am US time, why not midnight? Why not 6 am? Can't let APAC have primetime but US can have 6 am fine and dandy? Give me a break.

That's a good point - if server outages were moved just a few hours later it would make a huge difference to APAC players and others affected (UK morning players etc), and surely would not impact the US that much?

Edited by Solloby

Downtime works the same way for everyone, regardless of the time of day it's taking place.

Get over yourself.

Not really.

There's a pretty big, noticeable difference between servers going down while you're sleeping and them going down in the primetime play hours you have between work and sleep. That's what I'd call that whole 6pm to 12 midnight block for most working players, and maintenance activates smack in the middle at 8pm. I feel lucky if I get to play again at all maintenance day.

What I don't understand is why it can't be a little earlier, or a little later (after midnight APAC time isn't exactly primetime anymore). Why does the USA need to have ONLINE OR ELSE WORLD ENDS at 6 am on the dot, while other regions can get screwed over in the best playtime available?

Do it midnight USA time, do it 6 am USA time, at least then APAC gets some kind of primetime. Why does it have to be 3 am and brutally in the middle of another region's playtime?

Edited by Transairion

What I don't understand is...

Maybe there are factors that you are totally unaware of that determine why BW picks this time of day.

It might be a very inconvenient time to you but it might make the most sense from BW's point of view.

Edited by JediRelentless

Maybe there are factors that you are totally unaware of that determine why BW picks this time of day.

It might be a very inconvenient time to you but it might make the most sense from BW's point of view.

They do, and they've explained it before. They do maintenance at these times because that is the time that the least number of players affected. Yeah, I think it sucks for the Oceanic crowd, but I don't believe Bioware will ever change it unless there's another time that affects less players.

(For the record, I wouldn't mind them changing the downtimes to not screw the Oceanic crowd constantly. I'm just explaining as to why it probably won't ever happen.)

Not so, it's very plain and very simple, it's a US company, so they will schedule their downtimes such that it does NOT in ANY WAY affect US customers. EU and other territories are simply not even part of the argument when deciding on what's the best timeslot for updates.

With 6 to 9 hours difference with EU and more with the other territories, it will ALWAYS be during the day and part of the evening for us, where as most of the US folks won't even notice.

Simply moving the update time slot 3-4hrs earlier would affect all equally, and at least allow all _some_ playtime during patch day.

EDIT: APAC residents will even get bitten twice this week as next Conquest starts in just under 24hrs as of the time of this post so they not only lose today (like all of us), but also part of tomorrow (not like all of us) to reach the target, even though this week it's only a short downtime.

Edited by LeJarC

Not so, it's very plain and very simple, it's a US company, so they will schedule their downtimes such that it does NOT in ANY WAY affect US customers. EU and other territories are simply not even part of the argument when deciding on what's the best timeslot for updates.

With 6 to 9 hours difference with EU and more with the other territories, it will ALWAYS be during the day and part of the evening for us, where as most of the US folks won't even notice.

Simply moving the update time slot 3-4hrs earlier would affect all equally, and at least allow all _some_ playtime during patch day.

EDIT: APAC residents will even get bitten twice this week as next Conquest starts in just under 24hrs as of the time of this post so they not only lose today (like all of us), but also part of tomorrow (not like all of us) to reach the target, even though this week it's only a short downtime.

Not so, it's very plain and simple. As I explained in the post right above yours, they do downtime when it affects the least number of players. Since that's during Oceanic prime time, that's when maintenance occurs.

Instead of coming up with theories like 'BW only cares about NA customers! They don't give a toss about the rest of the world!', maybe getting more people to play during Oceanic prime time would get them to change the downtimes.

Otherwise, they'll keep the maintenance exactly where it should be: where it affects the least number of players.

I am an APAC player and I at least understand that the reason why there is a maintenance for 1 hour tonight is to calculate the points and ensure the next event is ready for this week.

APAC players like myself should expect this every week from now on for atleast an hour IMO.

I am an APAC player and I at least understand that the reason why there is a maintenance for 1 hour tonight is to calculate the points and ensure the next event is ready for this week.

APAC players like myself should expect this every week from now on for atleast an hour IMO.

It seems a lot more likely they're just preemptively trying to fix things and/or prepare for more changes as they've already said will be upcoming.

I don't even need to point out what a colossal design failure Conquests would be if every week required downtime just to update it.

This APC server time issue has been going on for 2 years now and everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry tuesday its always least 1-2 posts asking to change the server time, well going on 3 years in December

If you say so.

I'm sure the 3-5 downtimes in a row over the last few weeks, that are always in APAC primetime had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

Edited by Transairion

It seems a lot more likely they're just preemptively trying to fix things and/or prepare for more changes as they've already said will be upcoming.

I don't even need to point out what a colossal design failure Conquests would be if every week required downtime just to update it.

If you say so.

I'm sure the 3-5 downtimes in a row over the last few weeks, that are always in APAC primetime had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

No it's been on going since Launch. Not that it matters tonight since it's only 1 Hour..

No it's been on going since Launch. Not that it matters tonight since it's only 1 Hour..

We also used to have our own server too (I can't recall whether or not they have individual downtimes though so I didn't mention it).

It's a pretty annoying disruption of service though :(

Especially since it's just a restart a different, earlier time that doesn't shaft APAC and European noon/early afternoon players as much could have been chosen. And, if it's really just a restart without any patches involved, the servers from different zones could be restarted at different times, too.

It is quite obvious as a second week in a row (and exact minutes before the end of the 24hr guild conquest rewards countdown) that the downtime is due to spreading the rewards and activating the new weekly Conquest. New expansion - new weekly downtime. Everyone feel the love. I bet this will repeat every week from now on. :mad: Edited by Lordkoon

Hey everyone!

We will be having a short period of downtime on Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014 from 3:30AM - 4:30AM PDT (10:30AM - 11:30AM GMT).

There will be no Patch Notes associated with this downtime, and your client will not download any additional files, as we are just restarting the servers.

Thank you for your patience!

-Tait

Hey Tait

I have to ask that, as point of feedback it should be also advertised on Twitter and Facebook pages for SWTOR Maintenance or alerts ahead of time so that if the main SWTOR website and forums here are about to go down as well, it would be worth keeping all forms of communication on the SWTOR community advised just in case.

Edited by Satelerevan

It is quite obvious as a second week in a row (and exact minutes before the end of the 24hr guild conquest rewards countdown) that the downtime is due to spreading the rewards and activating the new weekly Conquest. New expansion - new weekly downtime. Everyone feel the love. I bet this will repeat every week from now on. :mad:

I think it has more to do with server stability. When the servers have been running for three weeks without a restart, the game is becoming laggy, and maybe it got even worse with stronghold/conquest, so they'd rather be on the safe side and restart it each week until they can improve server stability. We really don't know enough about the game to be sure it's related to the conquest rewards.

Hey Tait

I have to ask that, as point of feedback it should be also advertised on Twitter and Facebook pages for SWTOR Maintenance or alerts ahead of time so that if the main SWTOR website and forums here are about to go down as well, it would be worth keeping all forms of communication on the SWTOR community advised just in case.

I can only echo that sentiment. They didn't even announce it in the German and French forums this time. Sure, for Americans the downtime is in the middle of the night and they won't notice it, but for German and French players (which mostly are from Europe), the downtime is in the middle of the day, and while there are not as many players on as during primetime, many will be confused when they see the maintenance messages starting to appear and will feel angry that their plans for playing have been destroyed.

Edit: 10 minutes late and I still don't see the red maintenance messages in chat. Don't tell me they cancelled the maintenance, I had scheduled a guild event because of it. :mad:

Edited by Jerba

So what happened to the downtime ? am on Karriban and its 11.50 BST (10.50 GMT) no message and server is still up ,is this another wrong time stated ?

Well, 50 minutes later and still no red maintenance messages. I suppose it's safe to say that the server restart has been cancelled now (unless they completely messed up the time and will do it one hour later). It would have been nice to have gotten an update, since players plan their playtime around things like that. :( Edited by Jerba