New Player Experience Challenge

zaskar

STOP FARMING TWOSHIPS, MENTOR ONE

I have a challenge for anyone that has the Fleet Admiral achievement, it will take a little effort on your part but in the end we'll have a larger, strong community. At this point we are not going to get an expanded tutorial that actually teaches what needs to be learned, ever. If we want to stop the mountain of threads saying that GSF is crap and blah blah blah from new players we need to stop telling them they are wrong and stupid. We need to teach.

It's time to put up your T5 perfected ships and find yourself a twoship that wants to learn. Tell the twoship you'll make them into a damn good pilot but in return they have to pass on what they have learned at least once.

Last week I took a new pilot under my wing and in a couple of days he was chasing down "aces" in a mildly upgraded blackbolt. You can do this too, make more good players, don't berate them when they complain about the steep learning curve. Don't call them whiners, show some sympathy and mentor.

Here is what I covered.

1. Teach the controls. Help them remap to fit their ergonomics not yours

2. Teach targeting. The three circles is not intuitive at all and it took us a long time to figure out the loss of tracking/accuracy on the edges.

3. Focus on the blackbolt/novadive, to become an ace in this bucket it trains a pilot for any ship

4. Teach them to survive, no jousting, teach angle of attacks, teach evasion maneuvers without the use of the engine component.

5. Teach the proper use of all aspects of the "normal" T1 Scout build.

I'm willing to invest some of my time this week to build a website that we can direct new pilots to request help, to manage scheduling training sorties and a place to have a repository of knowledge and resources. But I won't unless I get 10 of you to say you'll mentor.

Lets save GSF ourselves. Lets stop our whining and become proactive.

Edited by zaskar

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted to volunteer myself for this, I play most days some time between 10 am PDT through 6 pm PDT on Bastion. I will look for someone myself over the next couple days, but if anyone reading this is interested please send me an in game email on Pincer so we can coordinate play times.

As a tip for those seeking help, most of us who play a lot use some sort of VOIP. Try to have a mic and VOIP programs, this will help explaining things a lot. Anyways, if anyone ever needs a group etc just hit me up on Pincer. Ill fly with anyone up to and including people who hate me :D just keep an open mind.

I want to point out that I have no intention of doing this whatsoever, but I do think it's a great idea.

Drako has already offered mentoring as well as grabbing randoms who want to be better, and those players are VERY threatening now- it's an unquestioned improvement.

Anyway, solid thread, solid idea.

It goes without saying explaining your lasers and rockets don't go to the center of your screen when your mouse is at the far corner is SO much easier over vcom.

I planned on offering mumble/TS as part of the website / service, free channels on open servers are always a crap shoot and some people feel like they are invading or not as welcome as they should when visiting a guild vcom server.

So I see four in a few hours, this is a good start. Zuchiean on Pot5 said he was interested then backed out because I called his beloved blackbolt a bucket. He'll come around. So it's five. Because I'm counting you anyways Verian, you won't be able to stay away. You'll tell everyone they are doing it wrong and end up involved. Just give in now.

I might just start coding anyways.

Edited by zaskar

I'd be happy to help, myself.

For the longest time I was going around in matches offering to help those who needed it, but found that getting anyone to actually accept the help was difficult. My approach might have been incorrect, with newbies too overwhelmed to answer over ops chat.

I have been trying to train guildies at least, but as an RP guild GSF is a very niche element. My hope is that Conquest improves that. :)

I want to point out that I have no intention of doing this whatsoever, but I do think it's a great idea.

Drako has already offered mentoring as well as grabbing randoms who want to be better, and those players are VERY threatening now- it's an unquestioned improvement.

Anyway, solid thread, solid idea.

This, pretty much verbatim.

I like this idea. I'd be willing to help on Jung Ma. There are two caveats... I won't be able to talk in voice chat, and the only class of ship I'd be comfortable 'teaching' is scouts. But if any new pilots have trouble finding a group or 'mentor' with voice, I will help. I'm available most nights at the tail end of primetime hours.

Edit: I'd be more than happy to work it into RP.

Edit2: I don't have the Fleet Admiral achievement. I'm just a decent scout pilot who figured things out on my own through trial and error.

Edited by Ymris

Can't say I'm the best pilot in every match, but my chars would welcome a rookie wingman on occasions - I play on the Progenitor - sometimes at off-peak times-, but I'd would be willing to mentor with Mumble. PM any of the chars in my sig and I'm sure we can fix something up.

I suck at GSF - not horribly bad, but I'm no Top Gun - and while I wouldn't want to mentor someone in-game, I did post a nice control spec sheet and my tips (AKA "things I do when I play") on a forum I use when one of the other few guys there who plays Star Wars was not having luck in regular PvP now that he's been "tier promoted." Hopefully he gives it a try and likes it more than he thinks he would.

The real problem is that skill isn't much of a factor for a very long time until you can buy a top tier ship and fully outfit it. GSF is about the ships, not skill.

This is crap, and the link to Drako's thread proves it.

You would only say this if you had not much skill or gear. If you had either, you'd know the truth.

The real problem is that skill isn't much of a factor for a very long time until you can buy a top tier ship and fully outfit it. GSF is about the ships, not skill.

Paetheas, you'll be welcome, if you can find a mentor to show you the errors of your thinking.

Sorry, that's nonsense. I just finished my third level GSF Toon and am much better than I ever was with the first and mastered ships with the third with unmastered ships.

What is true, however, that there is no reason for this type of Progress in PVP. If you want exciting and fair fights should think more about a system like the handicap in golf. Rules of the competitive sports are out of place in a game, you'll have to be based on popular sports.

This is crap, and the link to Drako's thread proves it.

You would only say this if you had not much skill or gear. If you had either, you'd know the truth.

Lol. Spoken like a person that enjoys farming two ship players with a full stable of maxed out ships. Because being able to get hit 10 times before your shields fall and being able to 1 or 2 hit new players from twice their effective range is pure skill, right?!

If you guys had any reading comprehension you will notice I said skill plays a very small factor when one player is brand new and the other has full ships. I am very skilled but this game isn't like a first person shooter, fighting game, or rts where skill is basically all that matters. This is a game where the player with more time spent(and therefore better ships and gear) will almost always win unless they just go afk and let the 2 ship player turret them for a full minute.

Paetheas, you'll be welcome, if you can find a mentor to show you the errors of your thinking.

The problem is that I am stuck using the two starter ships with the starter weapons until I can save enough comm's to get new stuff. I am already skilled at the actual game mechanics.

The problem is that I am stuck using the two starter ships with the starter weapons until I can save enough comm's to get new stuff. I am already skilled at the actual game mechanics.

Little questions for our so much skilled pilot....

What is your accuracy? It is the best way to tell how good one is.

How in hell can you not switch RFL to something else??? Doing the intro mission gives you 1k req. A match should net you at least 400 req. A new weapon costs 2000 req.

Lol. Spoken like a person that enjoys farming two ship players with a full stable of maxed out ships. Because being able to get hit 10 times before your shields fall and being able to 1 or 2 hit new players from twice their effective range is pure skill, right?!

If you guys had any reading comprehension you will notice I said skill plays a very small factor when one player is brand new and the other has full ships. I am very skilled but this game isn't like a first person shooter, fighting game, or rts where skill is basically all that matters. This is a game where the player with more time spent(and therefore better ships and gear) will almost always win unless they just go afk and let the 2 ship player turret them for a full minute.

If you had any comprehension at all and respect for people that have actually been playing for a while instead of your own stubborn and egoistic attitude, you'd realize that both vets and new players (those without an enormous ego at least) are saying that skill is 90% of this game.

Those that have spent more time and have better ships are better because they learned how to fly and most of them can do really well in stock ships as well as mastered ones and there's even evidence in the topic linked a few posts ago.

For the end... Name and server mr. pro? I'll be happy to show you what I can do in a stock ship and I'm far from the best pilot out there.

Edited by Asbetos

My apologies, I was not attempting to be snide or hurtful by posting that thread, I simply wanted to post a counter point which I myself have found to be true. I actually agree with your point that the player who has spent more time playing GSF will be better than another player, but I disagree with your statement that its because they have better ships and components. Instead I find that the player who has spent more time playing GSF is more experienced than a new player, and therefore has greater skill.

As for the assertion that I am a mastered ship player who enjoys slaughtering two ship pilots, I suppose I could try and say something to defend myself and hope that you believe me. I suppose I can also hope that my guildmates and rivals from TEH would speak on my behalf. Who knows. I will say that personally, while I do have mastered ships, there are pilots out there who blow me out of the water in anything they fly, including but not limited to; Nemarus, Armonddd, Verain, Drakolich, TrinityLyre, SammyGStatus, Itkovian, WVWraith, and Nisdain. These are the forum names of people I've flown with and against, who can probably tell you that despite the fact that while I have mastered ships, I am only an average pilot. Persistent, but average.

I apologize if my words insulted or upset you in anyway, that was not my intent. Again, I was merely trying to express my opinion that skill trumps the ship and components.

Edited by Caernos

My apologies, I was not attempting to be snide or hurtful by posting that thread, I simply wanted to post a counter point which I myself have found to be true. I actually agree with your point that the player who has spent more time playing GSF will be better than another player, but I disagree with your statement that its because they have better ships and components. Instead I find that the player who has spent more time playing GSF is more experienced than a new player, and therefore has greater skill.

As for the assertion that I am a mastered ship player who enjoys slaughtering two ship pilots, I suppose I could try and say something to defend myself and hope that you believe me. I suppose I can also hope that my guildmates and rivals from TEH would speak on my behalf. Who knows. I will say that personally, while I do have mastered ships, there are pilots out there who blow me out of the water in anything they fly, including but not limited to; Nemarus, Armonddd, Verain, Drakolich, TrinityLyre, SammyGStatus, Itkovian, WVWraith, and Nisdain. These are the forum names of people I've flown with and against, who can probably tell you that despite the fact that while I have mastered ships, I am only an average pilot. Persistent, but average.

I apologize if my words insulted or upset you in anyway, that was not my intent. Again, I was merely trying to express my opinion that skill trumps the ship and components.

Sorry if I generalized you with my statement. I was just speaking about a person that would argue against a pvp game being more about skill and less about ships and components.

I am not saying that this game isn't about skill. As I said before, I am saying that a person with only the starter 2 ships is at such a disadvantage against even a mediocre player with a full arsenal that less than .01% of players would have any chance at all. That is a problem. It actually discourages new players from sticking with it.

It does seem awfully odd that the instant I started upgrading my weapons and ship, my success rate exponentially increased despite me playing the exact same. Hit rate stayed pretty even, kill rate skyrocketed.

Sorry, but no you're probably not skilled at the actual game mechanics. I'm one of the abnormally sympathetic people when it comes to the gearing gap for GSF beginners. It DOES make a difference.

However, the gear gap ONLY makes a SIGNIFICANT difference WHEN FLYING AGAINST PILOTS OF A SKILL LEVEL VERY CLOSE TO YOUR OWN.

Given that the community of highly skilled GSF pilots is very small, if you're consistently getting crushed in your matches one of two conditions is likely.

1. Your server has terrible faction imbalance in pilot skill and you're getting stomped because your team is composed of pilots that are on average much less skilled than the other side's. In this case you personally should still be able to do quite well in a match. Good Kill/Death ratio, lots of medals, lots of objective points, maxing out ship bonus requisition rewards in one or two matches per ship per day. A good pilot can do all of that even if they're on a stock ship and stuck with a team that is getting completely steamrolled.

2. You are not nearly as good at GSF as you think you are. Not having seen you fly, I can't say for sure, but usually the people complaining about the hopelessness of gear fall into this category.

Fly about 10 matches in a ship and you should have enough requisition to upgrade it enough so that even a top notch pilot in a mastered ship will find you a difficult kill if you fly well and in a defensive manner. Upgrading offensive power significantly takes maybe six to ten times as much req, but that doesn't prevent you from getting kills in a stock ship that's well piloted, it just takes a lot more time per kill. By the way, I'm assuming here that you're a competent pilot and getting at least 1000 -1500 requisition per match. Excellent pilots will get a lot more requisition per match than that if they're trying to farm requisition, and won't need as many matches to pick up the best defensive and offensive upgrades.

My personal advice for rapid improvement is to find a mentor on your server to help, or make an alt on either The Ebon Hawk or Bastion and learn from their disproportionately large and helpful communities of great pilots.

If you're not inclined to ask for help, then you might first try learning not to get shot down. Aim for 0-4 deaths per match, and do whatever you need to in order to manage that, even if it means flying circles around an asteroid in the middle of nowhere. Gradually work your way closer to the high intensity fighting as you get better at surviving. After you've mastered the art of not dying, then start working on learning how to kill stuff.