Forbes Magazine Rank MMOs by Profit

Denzyl

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too shabby. Beating LotRO and EVE. Sky's still falling though... :rolleyes:

Be interesting to see one for 2014 and if TOR was still on it. I wonder if Wildstar would even make the 2014 list?

I'd laugh myself to death if it didn't given how much better people say it is compared to TOR. :D

Didn't we already see this...oh yea when it came out 7/19/14. Little late to the party.

Hehe!

Based in the UK, so Forbes is not my cup of tea, a US colleague mentioned it so I thought the SWTOR Forum would be interested.

Searching the forum with 'Forbes' as the keyword showed the last article was in 2012 :D

Didn't we already see this...oh yea when it came out 7/19/14. Little late to the party.

And yet despite having been informed, we have seen several, "SWTOR is about to DIE!" posts and threads since then. Perhaps you could consider this a little positive re-enforcement reminding the people with perpetual black clouds over their heads that SWTOR is in nowhere near the shape they claim it is.

Be interesting to see one for 2014 and if TOR was still on it. I wonder if Wildstar would even make the 2014 list?

I'd laugh myself to death if it didn't given how much better people say it is compared to TOR. :D

Seems like they do one every year, so let's see what next July brings.

Hehe!

Based in the UK, so Forbes is not my cup of tea, a US colleague mentioned it so I thought the SWTOR Forum would be interested.

Searching the forum with 'Forbes' as the keyword showed the last article was in 2012 :D

Try, SWTOR 4th biggest MMO.

I'm surprised a little, Lord of the Rings seems to keep offering sizeable updates in comparison to TOR yet falls somewhat below in terms of revenue. Its still doing very well considering its some what child like look but given the studio's output they give the impression of a more profitable MMO/

I'm surprised a little, Lord of the Rings seems to keep offering sizeable updates in comparison to TOR yet falls somewhat below in terms of revenue. Its still doing very well considering its some what child like look but given the studio's output they give the impression of a more profitable MMO/

A hundred million per year in revenue is extremely profitable for an MMO. We just have this perspective that games need to make a billion a year or it's failing. I blame WoW.

A hundred million per year in revenue is extremely profitable for an MMO. We just have this perspective that games need to make a billion a year or it's failing. I blame WoW.

Same here. People always compare other MMOs against WOW and if the game doesn't measure up it either sucks or is going to die in a year. 9 times out of 10 this isn't the case.

Same here. People always compare other MMOs against WOW and if the game doesn't measure up it either sucks or is going to die in a year. 9 times out of 10 this isn't the case.

WoW is the anomaly and an aberration in the market. When it comes to MMOs, there's WoW and then the actual MMO market. They skew things horribly in a number of bad ways, but the game itself is falling apart the last time I looked. Their latest expansion seems to be falling apart in beta. But, I digress.

That is for revenue not profit.

Indeed, however the it is reasonable to estimate that the expense at BW is rather low as evident by the various rounds of layoffs during the past 2 years after TOR was launched. Labor cost is the largest component of overhead for just about every software company. Quite frankly, whatever profit TOR is generating is undoubtedly being used to subsidize the bottomless pit that is EA quarterly losses hence the ever escalating cartel market cash grab schemes.

Edited by Oneirophrenia