Penumbral's PvP Battle Royale

Impulsive_Clone

So, hot shot, You've capped nodes in Alderaan and Novare Coast. You've opened the blast doors, and stolen the information from the Voidstar. Scored touchdown after touchdown in Huttall. Heck, you've even managed to claw your way up the leaderboards in the Ranked Arenas.Well, now it's time to test what you're REALLY made of in...

Penumbral's PvP Battle Royale

Premise :The concept is simple. Five people enter, one person exits. This will be a free-for-all five person battle to the death, with one man standing at the end. The last man standing at the end of the match, will move on to the semi-final or final round. (Depending upon turnout) After all fighters have competed, the semi-final / final round will commence and that will determine the King (Or Queen!) of the Battle Royale and a cash prize. This will be a cross faction event, so everyone both Imperial and Republic is encouraged to enter and participate.

Additionally, there will be a loser's bracket as well. The last person eliminated will be moved to another bracket, to compete against the others, for the chance at a cash prize.

The winner from the Main Bracket, will receive 30% of the total amount collected from entry fees. The Second Bracket will get 20% of the total amount collected, as a cash proze.

Entry Fee: The entry fee will be 20,000 credits. You can also enter once per character you have, although an entry fee will be applied to each character you enter into the competition. (I.E. If you have 3 toons, you want to compete with, then your total amount due will be 60,000 credits.)

Time and Place: This event will take place in The Pit, at the Outlaw's Den, On Tattooine. Sunday August 17th, 2014 at 5:00 PM. The event will start at 5:00, but bracket forming will begin at 4:00 and last call for entry fees will be at 4:30 PM. So be sure to get there early and have your entry fees submitted.

To submit your entry fees, reach out to Sranishor, Åmadeus (Capital A is Alt+143), or Moregan, We will get you added to the bracket and placed in the event. Also, you can reach out to each, if you have any questions regarding the event, as well. You can also RSVP here on the official forums, or by contacting any of the above mentioned, and we will add your name to the list, once we have your entry fee.

Rules:

#1: Stealth classes will only be allowed a maximum of fifteen (15) seconds of stealth. If you remain in stealth for longer than that, your will forfeit your match and entry fee for that particular toon.

#2: There will be 3 judges, provided by Penumbral, their word is final.

#3: Stealth classes will be grouped with a judge before entering the ring, so that the judges can monitor them accordingly.

#4: All characters in the Pit must be UNGUILDED. There are no friendlies in The Pit! No healing other guildies, No Guarding, No Taunting for guildies. It's every man for himself!

#5: If there is an odd number of participants, extra participants will be added to The Pit, to compensate. There could very well be 6 or 7 people slugging it out for that top spot.

So, to Summarize --

What: Penumbral's PvP Battle Royale

Who: Everyone is invited, both factions

When: Sunday, August 17th, 2014, 5:00 PM

Where: The Pit, Outlaw's Den, Tattooine

We look forward to seeing everyone turn out for the Event and see who gets to take home the cash prize and the Title of King (Or Queen) of the Battle Royale!

EDIT: Adjusted maximum stealth allowed to 15 seconds

Edited by Impulsive_Clone

You might as well have five people type /roll 1-50 with any juggernauts in the group rolling 40-100. Highest number wins.

1v1's in this game are completely unbalanced. A 1v1v1v1v1 is only going to be worse.

Hell, the only way for this to be meaningful at all is if you restrict entrants to stealth classes and do an Assassins/Shadows round and then an Operatives/Scoundrels round. It would take a very long time, especially for the operatives/scoundrels. And even then it would still have huge problems as people would just stay hidden in stealth waiting for their vanish to come back off CD.

Edited by Dras_Keto

I want to address some of the concerns.

30 Seconds of strealth seems really long. In a FFA situation where everyone is at each other's throat, finding a spot to hide for 30 seconds will pretty much guarantee victory for a stealth class I'd think.

I've given it some thought, since I've posted the thread and 30 seconds does seem like a long time, a game breaking long time, when 4 other people are fighting it out. With that in mind, Penumbral will do some play testing in the coming days to assess what would be a good timer for stealth classes. We may cut it by 15 or 20 seconds, respectively. Depending on how our matches go. I will update the thread when our testing is concluded but look to have that number significantly reduced.

You might as well have five people type /roll 1-50 with any juggernauts in the group rolling 40-100. Highest number wins.

1v1's in this game are completely unbalanced. A 1v1v1v1v1 is only going to be worse.

Hell, the only way for this to be meaningful at all is if you restrict entrants to stealth classes and do an Assassins/Shadows round and then an Operatives/Scoundrels round. It would take a very long time, especially for the operatives/scoundrels. And even then it would still have huge problems as people would just stay hidden in stealth waiting for their vanish to come back off CD.

Your post is a little on the troll-ish side but you make a point, in that there are some classes that have an advantage over others, due the way the classes are balanced. Specifically, Vengeance Specced Juggernauts and Madness Assassins / Sorcerers. However, I would contend that the way the battle is set up, whatever advantages they might have, from a game play point of view, is significantly reduced by the amount of people fighting.

The event is designed, at it's core, to add an element of luck, along with the skill of the player. There are some great juggernaut players on the server, but there are also equally skilled players of other classes, who know how to counter the FotM classes and win. Couple that with 4 other players, who are at each other's throats, and what you have is a mix of skill, talent and luck, as well as alot of fun.

On a personal note, the most exciting part about this event, for me, are the uncountable strategies for each class to win. You can be a healer and play the survival route, ducking, dodging and LOSing, letting the others slug it out, you can play a Mercenary, with their heavy armor, roots, stuns and knockbacks, makes them capable at playing defensive or you can go offensive as an Annihilation marauder, DoTing people, whittling away at the other combatants. I could go on and on about the strategies, but I think you get the point. The main point I'm making, in my opinion with more people in the ring, the LESS of an advantage the FotM classes have, not more.

To address your concern about FotM classes, we intend to divide the players in the bracket, with an even distribution of classes. There will still probably instances of classes that are doubled up in brackets, but that is unavoidable, given the uneven distribution of classes on the server or what people decide to bring to the event. But we will do our best to make sure that each bracket is as fair as we can possibly make it.

In any regard, you don't HAVE to COME. Noone is twisting your arm or making your pay the fee. If you don't like the premise of the event, then don't come. It's pretty much that simple. Personally, I hope alot of people come and have a tremendous amount of fun. The server we play on, is a community and the more we involve the community, the more fun we all have.

... Etc. ...

I think youre making the mistake of imagining this like an action movie where you can have a bunch of people fighting for how ever long you want and the most that happens is a couple of them get a few scrapes. And its great, and exciting and all that stuff because its choreographed.

Similar to how it really works in actuality (IE, most fights between trained combatants with the intent to kill are over in the space of a few seconds), theres not going to be much ducking and weaving. The absolute best (IE, most exciting to watch, and most fun to participate in) situation you can hope for is one duel, and a 2v1. Squishies will die first. Ranged will get piled on because no one wants some schmuck sitting off 30 meters away waiting for people to get low and picking them off. Marauders and Sentinels will get killed in the space of a cc, or just cc'd when they pop undying rage and executed 5 second later.

Its gonna be a mess. Its going to leave people feeling like they got cheated because they were singled out at the start of the match. People are going to get mad at the ops or scoundrels that just stealth, book it, OoC heal and come back into a fight at full health versus the last two guys who are sitting at 15% each.

I get that you are going for the Battle Royale style. Its... plainly obvious. But this is an mmo, not an FPS or an RTS where that kind of FFA deathmatch excels.

If you want some constructive criticism, try this:

Make it five teams of two people each. That allows enough of the synergy that is built into an MMO system to come into play while still giving you the chaotic environment it sounds like you want. You would have to disallow doubling up on a single AC (for obvious reasons).

And, I would suggest a venue change. The Ilum contested area is made for this kind of thing. Its circular design helps eliminate start-position advantages, and you can clearly section it off to restrict the where contestants can go. It could be the entire main circular area, the central plateau, or even just the arena itself. There are plenty of places to hide, to pillar hump, to use terrain height to split up groups.

I like this a lot and will encourage Vicious/Shots Fired members to participate. As long as I am not too stressed from moving in to my new apartment I will definitely be entering. Any prizes? I agree with Deloth fwiw, as one of my mains being a stealth class, allowing us to be in stealth for 30 seconds is really long. I'd say 15-20 IMO. I hope this actually follows through and a lot of the community becomes involved. Hopefully this will strengthen 2.9 with Conquests!

And, I would suggest a venue change. The Ilum contested area is made for this kind of thing. Its circular design helps eliminate start-position advantages, and you can clearly section it off to restrict the where contestants can go. It could be the entire main circular area, the central plateau, or even just the arena itself. There are plenty of places to hide, to pillar hump, to use terrain height to split up groups.

How would Imps be able to fight imps without issuing a duel then (when the Gree event isnt ongoing)?

Edited by Luniara

Oh god I really want to participate in this!

Would it be possible to make this later at night? Maybe 10:00?

Sorry I'm just traveling abroad for the whole month of august and would love to still participate.

I actually really like the idea of teams of 2. The concerns put forth, while somewhat hostile and troll-ish in nature do hold some weight. Even though this event seems like it's made to be just a casual, fun, "everyone smash each other's face in" kind of event that shouldn't be taken too seriously, people do want to feel like they have a real chance of winning. Edited by Terro_Fett

Oh god I really want to participate in this!

Would it be possible to make this later at night? Maybe 10:00?

Sorry I'm just traveling abroad for the whole month of august and would love to still participate.

Didn't know the whole world revolved around you.

Cross posted from the Penumbral website.

So, last night I spent some time trying this format out last night , with some of my friends from REIGN. I tried to approach it with an open mind, because since it was my idea, I felt a little bit of bias, as I wanted the format to work, amid speculation that the format wouldn't work in swtor's environment.

I spent about an hour and a half, doing battles, talking about battles, trying formats. Asking for suggestions, taking advice, and discussing the details that could possibly make the difference in game breaking mechanics. We did the 5 person free for all and then we split up into three teams of two. To see how each would work.

In Attendance:

2 Heal Specced Operatives

1 Immortal Juggernaut

1 Vengeance Juggernaut

1 Concealment Operative

1 Pyrotech Mercenary

1 Madness Sorcerer

In my opinion, and with the evidence from last night, I'm going to keep the current format of a 5 person free for all. With doing a two person, free for all some time later. Maybe around Christmas. Also, the pit in the outlaws den is big enough to accommodate 5 people fightng with enough room to move around and LOS, if need be. So, the venue is going to stay the same as well.

I didn't see any severe game breaking mechanics at play, aside from putting 2 healers in the ring, as its really hard for 3 other DPS/tank to focus them down without getting jumped themselves. Which essentially forces the healers into a protracted stalemate.

There are some other combos that might lengthen the match, possibly, healer against a sorc, tank vs healer, but those combinations didn't make for a game breaking experience, in my opinion.

On a personal note, doing a free for all match type of PvP, is INSANELY FUN. To me, there are enough variables to make it exciting and enough of a factor of skill, to make it worthwhile. I really enjoyed the matches I played, every time we fought, it really came down to the wire as to who was gonna win. I'm honestly looking forward to seeing what the server community at large, is gonna bring to the event.

Oh, and we also took video. I'll upload when I get a chance, so people can make a decision for themselves.

Edited maximum amount of stealth allowed to 15 seconds before forfeit. The reason being, with Pyro and Merc stealth scans flying, sniper stealth detection, and the various amount of AoE's and DoT's going around and out, i found it hard to stay in stealth for longer than that. But assuming any stealth class can dodge all that and remain in stealth, 15 seconds seems like a reasonable amount of time to recoup and regroup.