Help picking a crew skills.

Deathen_Shada

I've been playing this game for a while, but I never touched or looked at crew skills in the 2 years i've been playing. Heck, I still don't even know what they all do without having to google it. But lately my guildies have been bugging me saying I should level up a crew skill for when strongholds launches to help make decorations etc. So i'm finally bringing myself to do that. Now I know that each crew skill will make different decorations and I'm alright with whatever, but what I'm curious about is what is the more profitable crew skills as of currently to make and sell stuff on the gtn on the side.

I currently have armormech, scavenging, and slicing (picked them up when I first made my character several years ago still all level 1 [lol] ) But before I dedicate myself, I wanted your esteemed opinions on the best money maker. Of course balancing cost/time/and overall profit.

I apologize if you see this kind of thread regularly but I wanted a updated opinion based on current markets. Thank you in advance.

My first priority in Cybertech, Scavaging, Underworld Trading.

I find it helps to be able to make mods and armor inserts for my armor. I usually have 1 Alt that has this to make for every other toon i have. On all others I just go with Slicing instead of Cybertech.

I find it helps to be able to make mods and armor inserts for my armor. I usually have 1 Alt that has this to make for every other toon i have. On all others I just go with Slicing instead of Cybertech.

Could I take what you have but not underworld trading? I kinda wanna keep slicing.

Old paradigm

With GSH on the horizon things are changing: ALL crew skills at ALL levels are going to be useful for Strongholds.

that being said, there is optimization to consider. take a look at my guide: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=726927

Could I take what you have but not underworld trading? I kinda wanna keep slicing.

IMO, keep Underworld Trading and ditch Scavenging (unless you are Trooper with +5 crit to Scavenging), for several reasons:

1) Cheaper to buy Scavenging mats and make Underworld metals than the reverse (at least currently on my server).

2) With both Slicing and Scavenging, you'll have two gathering skills, and they do take time and slow down play. This can be frustrating for both you and people with whom you are grouped.

3) Everybody can get the max crit bonus (+2) for UT with the ship droid, only a few classes get bonuses to Scavenging.

Old paradigm

With GSH on the horizon things are changing: ALL crew skills at ALL levels are going to be useful for Strongholds.

Which means Cybertech is still the best first/main crafting skill :) GSH is making it so that everybody gets a share of the new market, but not changing the old markets.

Here's a good source of information on crew skills: What's the Best Crew Skill for My Class? A SWTOR Crew Skills Guide

Nice plug for an outdated article with an advertisement to your refer-a-friend link. I'm assuming that you also get some sort of referral bonus if people buythe Cartel Coin card at Amazon which your article also advertises.

This article is pretty much a waste of time to read -- the majority of it is just a restatement of which classes get which skill bonuses, information that has been available since before launch. It also contains bad advice for tanks to consider taking Biochem, because apparently the author thinks saving a few creds by using non-BiS reusables is better than making enough money to buy the BiS non-resuables and take home extra money to the bank.

Ignoring the fact that this appears to be a minimal-value-added rehash of old information used as a wrapper for a couple of referral links, I'd say that the fundamental flaws of this "guide" that make it worthless are its failure to identify (implicitly or explicitly) its target audience and its failure to actually recommend anything.

Players who already know what's in this guide have the information in more convenient locations, and players who didn't know this are now on equal footing with people starting the game for the first time in 2011 (i.e., before 2.5 years of evolution).

That said, it is not visually unappealing. if you like that sort of layout -- it's rather narrow (in more ways than one, obviously) for my tastes -- I prefer a higher data density per line (screen).

Edited by eartharioch