23 / 23 Shield Tech / Advanced Prototype Hybrid (with video)

Keebus

Hey all. I love jet charge / retractable blade / Prototype flame thrower and have been fooling around with this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301uMhrdMboMZrsMMRMRMo.3

I do have a Shield equipped in my OH slot instead of a generator to take advantage of the 4 talent points in both Shield Vents and Ablative Upgrades.

Here's a link to a quick vid, but hope to post more in the future

Curious to hear if anyone else has had success with this build. Enjoy!

follow on twitch

http://www.twitch.tv/keensaucery

Subscribe on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/keensauce

Funny, I've actually been running this build for a while for content that doesn't have strict dps checks, it's one of my personal favorites along with the 23/0/23

Yay for hybrid fun times!

Dope! I had also been wondering about 23/0/23 and is good to hear others play it. I can't wait to give it a try. Yay for hybrid, indeed!

These are my exact hybrids I use, they're slightly different with less "wasted" talents

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMhrkMboMZMsMMRrRMo.3 23/23/0

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMhrkMboMZZfI0rzkrz.3 23/0/23

Note: I say "wasted" because if you have a shield with dps mods technically they're not wasted, especially if you get the PvP power/shield enhancements

that looks like a for the lols build, do you remember the words "spread to thin and you excel at nothing"?, your dmg is gimped and your survivability gained is a joke.

Your flamethrower does laughable dmg and if the intent is to just snare ppl with it you`d have been better off going higher into the tank tree and picking up the skill to make flamesweep snare 50% for 6 seconds.

Flamesweep instant 50% snare lasts 6 secs > 3 second 90% snare(if fully charged) channeling snare

Hey all. I love jet charge / retractable blade / Prototype flame thrower and have been fooling around with this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301uMhrdMboMZrsMMRMRMo.3

I do have a Shield equipped in my OH slot instead of a generator to take advantage of the 4 talent points in both Shield Vents and Ablative Upgrades.

Couple of problems with the skill tree talents.

To shield an attack you need to have IGC active, so Shield Vents / Ablative Upgrades require that cylinder to be active. Pneumatic Boots / Prototype Cylinder Ventilation / Charged Gauntlets / Prototype Flamethrower all require HGC to be active.

I played around quite a bit with the skill trees when levelling. I'll be honest that as much as I enjoy Jet Charge it really wasn't worth the loss of dps to go for that, if you were going for a dps build. Lovely gap closer, but then grapple also works well enough (personally i'd love to see those talents switched so you have to spec into grapple)

28/18/0

Not exactly a 23/23 Shield Tech.. But an hybrid I played and found fun... Basicly you trade CC, Heat Blast, Heat Screen, Coolant and Shield Cannon for a good DPS increase through Gut and a lower CD on Quell.

To shield an attack you need to have IGC active, so Shield Vents / Ablative Upgrades require that cylinder to be active. Pneumatic Boots / Prototype Cylinder Ventilation / Charged Gauntlets / Prototype Flamethrower all require HGC to be active.

ICG only gives 15% chances to shield... So with ICG you get 20% chance to shield instead of 5%....

Edited by Ryuku-sama

28/18/0

Not exactly a 23/23 Shield Tech.. But an hybrid I played and found fun... Basicly you trade CC, Heat Blast, Heat Screen, Coolant and Shield Cannon for a good DPS increase through Gut and a lower CD on Quell.

Your build is also for the lols, listen i know Jetcharge is cool to have but making a hybrid out of a tank tree and a dps tree doesn`t work for PT`s you just get a squishy tank and a tickeling dps, your good at neither. The only utility you get from that hybrid is a lower cooldown on quell that`s the only thing you bring to the table and denying your self from a full tank tree with inc survivability and better heat management. Heck if you wanna lvl, grind some mobs/dailies with that it will work because anything works same for some pug warzones if the enemies are really bad. If you wanna DPS then try to increase your DMG as much as possible regardless if survivability, if you want to tank then inc your tank stats as much as you and don`t worry about DMG. Why are you guys trying to fill 2 roles and fail at both? In any competitive warzone/operation everybody has 1 job only and you are supposed to excel at what you do as much as possible not gimp urself. Let the tank do the protecting/soaking dmg, let the healer heal and let the dps worry about doing as much dmg as possible.

Edited by iDraxter

ICG only gives 15% chances to shield... So with ICG you get 20% chance to shield instead of 5%....

True enough, but let's be honest. 5%. Not going to happen much with RNG being the way it is. Also i'd assume you would want the 60% armour increase and damage reduction? Otherwise what's the point of going into the tank tree if all you do is nerf the dps for.... a nifty gap closer?

Isn't that the goal of a lawl spec????

And about my 28/18/0.. It is the same as the old 23/23/0 before it was nerfed.. I just use Flame Engine instead of PFT. Flamethrower being now free and channeling faster... Thus have the same DPS. (160% on 3 sec vs 100% on 1.5 sec) and you lose a 30% chance to make Rocket Punch free but gain some more survivability. So it isn't seriously gimped. And there is no real heat mangement issues in PvP.

Interesting points. I agree with most all the gimping arguments , and I guess I really do spend a lot to get jet charge, but for a fun spec, it really is a spell I wish I could have regardless of tree or cylinder. I hope it's annoying to play against as it looks sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...
Why not just go up the tactics tree and wear a shield? You get more DPS and the liberty to have more armor. You only waste 1 point but you get reflexive shield. For me, the question is whether to pick up Charged Loaders and Fire Pulse versus Shield Cycler, Riot Gas, and Ceramic Plating. More DPS versus more defense.

Why not just go up the tactics tree and wear a shield? You get more DPS and the liberty to have more armor. You only waste 1 point but you get reflexive shield. For me, the question is whether to pick up Charged Loaders and Fire Pulse versus Shield Cycler, Riot Gas, and Ceramic Plating. More DPS versus more defense.

Not PvP, but I actually did this last night for tanking Brontes HM after our tank DC'd. In AP with ion cell on and full dps gear (shield with dps mods in it) I ended up taking between 200 and 500 less damage per second than our full tank. Granted that fight is 95% AoE and damage while stunned. Same for Nefra, and I think for Tyrans, raptus and bestia. And you can still do ~2k dps (as a tank :eek:) which translates into ~4000 tps before any taunts.

In PvP unless you're going against a team of AP powertechs, smash marauders and hybrid sorcs, eh...

If I was going to do a hybrid with Jet Charge, I think I'd go with something like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMhrkMboMZMcZfhrbzoM.3

Only problem (not sure if it's an actual dps loss or not, I'll have to test it) is that you are passing up "Firebug" which is a 30% surge bonus to all your fire effects and rail shot.

Like I said I'll have to check but intuition tells me 30% surge to fire effects and rail shot is better than 6% crit increase for fire effects and 45% armor penetration for rail shot.

Not PvP, but I actually did this last night for tanking Brontes HM after our tank DC'd. In AP with ion cell on and full dps gear (shield with dps mods in it) I ended up taking between 200 and 500 less damage per second than our full tank. Granted that fight is 95% AoE and damage while stunned. Same for Nefra, and I think for Tyrans, raptus and bestia. And you can still do ~2k dps (as a tank :eek:) which translates into ~4000 tps before any taunts.

In PvP unless you're going against a team of AP powertechs, smash marauders and hybrid sorcs, eh...

Cool. My main issue (purely from a PvP perspective) is losing out on the AOE talent Prototype Flame Thrower which honestly is one of the most powerful talents to spec into when going up the AP tree, other than the defensive Energy Rebounder and Stabilized Armor.

Edited by Morbidar

Only problem (not sure if it's an actual dps loss or not, I'll have to test it) is that you are passing up "Firebug" which is a 30% surge bonus to all your fire effects and rail shot.

Like I said I'll have to check but intuition tells me 30% surge to fire effects and rail shot is better than 6% crit increase for fire effects and 45% armor penetration for rail shot.

Ah, I just kinda put points into Accuracy talents automatically without thinking about it.