If Powertechs are so OP..

Coolrockski

Why are there so few in unranked, lowbie arenas? In fact, if you look at fleet population (on shadowlands), there are few in general. I am making this commend because I have two early level toons, Marauder and Powertech. I have no idea which would be more fun and/or useful going forward. My experience is Marauder is much harder to play, but I don't want just play an OP class and go easy mode.

Thoughts on powertechs and marauders and their usefulness in PVP?

The mechanics of powertech/vanguard are probably the simplest I've played in the game. You basically have 2 main attacks, Rail Shot/High Impact bolt and flame burst/ion pulse and your defensive cooldowns. Other than that you're a slow moving tank that does tons of damage and can stay in a fight for a long time. With a supporting cast you can do insane numbers. But once you're health gets low you don't have any way to escape and death is assured.

Sentinels are fast hard hitting but glass canons. If you can keep them immobile then they're useless or dead. They also need a supporting cast in order to be effective, but probably more so than Vanguard/Powertech.

You can't use class popularity as the sole barometer for determining class strength. It's never worked that way in any game I've played (unless the balance problem is perceived to be very very large).

Hi my main is a PT and I've enjoyed it greatly.. Currently I am AP spec and have a full set of 168 aug'd gear I do have a life outside of the game so I'm proud that I have come that far for you dread forged people out there. During PVE fights I find that vs a single boss/ no adds I fall behind in steady numbers put out by say an equally geared marauder or sniper however when adds arrive or trash mobs get clustered my PFT numbers really shine ..if I'm lucky enough to get an RB on 5 targets and 3 stacks of PFT/expl-fuel/adrenal I've seen it hit 3200 - 4k each tick of the channel for each target, that's like around 8-9k total on each add in one FT.. There's something great about seeing big numbers pop for every DPS class but for AP a good crit FT will fill my whole screen with ticking damage.

I began playing AP because I got PFT'd (whatever the pub version is) by a min/max pvp geared Tactics trooper in ancient hypergate, as our team ran into the center opening ramp I saw the crazy pulse cannon we just all ran into thinking it was nothing and next I realized all 5 of us were around 5% health/ dead/ or trying to realize what exactly just happened lol. The entire group except 1 guy gettin the pylon was in the respawn area, I was like "jeeezus AP can do that??" Since I was getting bored of my PvP tank setup that I leveled up through WZ's with (after hearing they fixed how shield/absorb worked in pvp) I thaught it'd be time to change it up a bit. I joined up w a casual raiding guild and started getting geared.

The one thing they don't tell u about an AOE dps spec for use in >>PVE<< is aggro ..I didn't mention earlier but unfortunately when I critted those elite mobs in SnV they all focused me instantly and I died before I could hit my threat drop/ kolto ovld/ EShield. IMO this is the real reason for all the defensive talents in the spec tree. Just figured I'd tell u wat life is like from AP side ..if anyone feels differently I'm open to constructive advice as I am fairly new to endgame but no vanilla to a PT

Hi my main is a PT and I've enjoyed it greatly.. Currently I am AP spec and have a full set of 168 aug'd gear I do have a life outside of the game so I'm proud that I have come that far for you dread forged people out there. During PVE fights I find that vs a single boss/ no adds I fall behind in steady numbers put out by say an equally geared marauder or sniper however when adds arrive or trash mobs get clustered my PFT numbers really shine ..if I'm lucky enough to get an RB on 5 targets and 3 stacks of PFT/expl-fuel/adrenal I've seen it hit 3200 - 4k each tick of the channel for each target, that's like around 8-9k total on each add in one FT.. There's something great about seeing big numbers pop for every DPS class but for AP a good crit FT will fill my whole screen with ticking damage.

I began playing AP because I got PFT'd (whatever the pub version is) by a min/max pvp geared Tactics trooper in ancient hypergate, as our team ran into the center opening ramp I saw the crazy pulse cannon we just all ran into thinking it was nothing and next I realized all 5 of us were around 5% health/ dead/ or trying to realize what exactly just happened lol. The entire group except 1 guy gettin the pylon was in the respawn area, I was like "jeeezus AP can do that??" Since I was getting bored of my PvP tank setup that I leveled up through WZ's with (after hearing they fixed how shield/absorb worked in pvp) I thaught it'd be time to change it up a bit. I joined up w a casual raiding guild and started getting geared.

The one thing they don't tell u about an AOE dps spec for use in >>PVE<< is aggro ..I didn't mention earlier but unfortunately when I critted those elite mobs in SnV they all focused me instantly and I died before I could hit my threat drop/ kolto ovld/ EShield. IMO this is the real reason for all the defensive talents in the spec tree. Just figured I'd tell u wat life is like from AP side ..if anyone feels differently I'm open to constructive advice as I am fairly new to endgame but no vanilla to a PT

What is pve? Is that another mmo?

To sum up my last post for the OP's questions, the AP tree may work to your advantage in PvP due to many people being unaware of PFT's AOE power ..I can't speak for marauders as I haven't leveled one.

Assuming your opponent is ignorant is really bad strategy.

That first sentence is so flawed, I don't even....

I know, considering I play on that server and there's always at least 2 PT's in every game in lowbie PvP, it is flawed indeed. At 55, there's much more PT's than in lowbies, as for marauders it's the opposite, I tend to see more in lowbies than in 55.

@ OP, if you plan on running Pyro, definitely stick to your PT. At 55 with the proper gear and stat optimization, the dmg output is really insane.

PTs have decent cooldowns, but once those are used up, they do not really have good escape mechanisms like other classes, but they aren't meant to - they are effectively mid range melee. I don't think they are OP at all. If my carnage / annih mara keeps up with them in terms of dps in both normal warzones and ranked arenas, I would say they are fine balance wise, and they have similar damage reduction. The big difference is that they don't have a full damage stop ability like a mara, and their cooldowns are not quite as good as a juggs, but then juggs put otu a little less dps than either PT or Mara. Not a ton mind you, but enough that I feel their insanely good defensive cooldowns are justified.

PTs have decent cooldowns, but once those are used up, they do not really have good escape mechanisms like other classes, but they aren't meant to - they are effectively mid range melee. I don't think they are OP at all. If my carnage / annih mara keeps up with them in terms of dps in both normal warzones and ranked arenas, I would say they are fine balance wise, and they have similar damage reduction. The big difference is that they don't have a full damage stop ability like a mara, and their cooldowns are not quite as good as a juggs, but then juggs put otu a little less dps than either PT or Mara. Not a ton mind you, but enough that I feel their insanely good defensive cooldowns are justified.

Don't forget how Pyro PT's have burst that's very difficult to interrupt and counter, as well as the fact that Kolto Overload can be an 8 second immortality period against classes who do not have enough burst.

Don't forget how Pyro PT's have burst that's very difficult to interrupt and counter, as well as the fact that Kolto Overload can be an 8 second immortality period against classes who do not have enough burst.

Are you trolling?

BLINK BLINK I'm a thermal detonator.

BLINK BLINK You are going to be bursted in three seconds.

BLINK BLINK I recommend counter action.

BLINK BLINK Can I be any more obvious?

Of course you can railshot without the detonator, but railshot on its own isn't any more bursty than anything else out there.

Are you trolling?

Of course you can railshot without the detonator, but railshot on its own isn't any more bursty than anything else out there.

Predictable and difficult to interrupt are completely different things. The fact that you hear the detonator does not mean you can stop it. Pyro is unkitable. They can easily open a range gap against melee and keep them snared. SC can be used off global and while CCed, and sometimes even killing them is not a option as pyro's DCD are extremely anti-burst.

"BLINK BLINK I recommend counter action," yes, open all your DCDs and hope for the best.

It is not pyro is op or they have no weakness, but you have mistaken their biggest strength, uninterruptable burst, as weakness.

Are you trolling?

Ok....how is any class except a sin with shroud and Jugg with reflect supposed to avoid the thermal det dmg? You can't interrupt a Rail Shot either, and that hits for around 8k when it crits...which should be ~40% of the time and you can reset it every 6 seconds. Thermal Det. is on a 15seconds CD, so you're gonna throw 2 rail shots without it. Unlike Carnage whose Ravages u can interrupt you can also stun them through Gore. Concealment OP you just pop a mezz, stun, knockback, root break when they open on you, Deception is ****ed if Discharge/Maul or both don't crit.

Fact is, Rail Shot on it's own with a proper crit chance is much burstier that what many burst classes have to offer at such short intervals of time...how many classes can dish an 8k hit every 6 seconds 40% of the time? Sure, Smash can do that every ~9 seconds, but the sustained dmg is so terrible you can't even compare it to Pyro's, not to mention how the moment you go against somebody with an AoE DR you're burst is non-existent.

Edited by Tevzz

Ok....how is any class except a sin with shroud and Jugg with reflect supposed to avoid the thermal det dmg?

I don`t know...... Evasion?Bubble?pop a DR cd/cleanse dot(TD has 15 secs cd while a cleanse is what 5 seconds?)

You can't interrupt a Rail Shot either,
doesn`t this apply for every instant attack in the game? Then again Railshot also requires a DOT(preparation) on the target if you want to fire it.

that hits for around 8k when it crits

Ya on a sorc and if your relics proc which is out of both our hands to predict

...which should be ~40% of the time and you can reset it every 6 seconds.

can you show us your calculations for reaching that 40% every 6 seconds?

Unlike Carnage whose Ravages u can interrupt you can also stun them through Gore.
and when that carnage guy is full resolve?

Deception is ****ed if Discharge/Maul or both don't crit.
1 word: Recklessness

Fact is, Rail Shot on it's own with a proper crit chance is much burstier that what many burst classes have to offer at such short intervals of time
Railshot is white dmg pop Saber ward/Deflection and GG your odds of getting a railshot hit the target best is when you miss 2 in a row.

Pop evasion/bubble absorb it.

CLEANSE no dot on you=Railshot is unusable

...how many classes can dish an 8k hit every 6 seconds 40% of the time? Sure, Smash can do that every ~9 seconds,
that smash is a 100% sure crit , and again I`ll say 8k every 6 seconds 40% of the time? where do you get these numbers from?

And don`t forget the class has no escape-ability. Show us where the mean PT touched you.

Edited by iDraxter

Ok....how is any class except a sin with shroud and Jugg with reflect supposed to avoid the thermal det dmg? You can't interrupt a Rail Shot either, and that hits for around 8k when it crits...which should be ~40% of the time and you can reset it every 6 seconds. Thermal Det. is on a 15seconds CD, so you're gonna throw 2 rail shots without it. Unlike Carnage whose Ravages u can interrupt you can also stun them through Gore. Concealment OP you just pop a mezz, stun, knockback, root break when they open on you, Deception is ****ed if Discharge/Maul or both don't crit.

Fact is, Rail Shot on it's own with a proper crit chance is much burstier that what many burst classes have to offer at such short intervals of time...how many classes can dish an 8k hit every 6 seconds 40% of the time? Sure, Smash can do that every ~9 seconds, but the sustained dmg is so terrible you can't even compare it to Pyro's, not to mention how the moment you go against somebody with an AoE DR you're burst is non-existent.

You are delusional, Holy mother of god!

Marauder can vanish mitigate 50% of dmg of TD and ED.... oh i forget I need explain nubs like u how it works Mara jumps start rolling dmg first TD and ED vanish then come out from vanish pacify=no rail shot while u apply pacify use cloak of pain additional mitigate 20%dmg from flame burst and dots after 6-7sec use saber ward 50/50 if rail shot can pass plus mitigate another 25% tech dmg +20% additional while cloak of pain active cus it last 30sec wait u can CC if he breaks and u not watchman spec u can wait 6 out of 8 sec when u awe him during his kolto if he will not break then u choke him during kolto if he sits in choke then he wasting almost half of duration on kolto then u can then u pop undying and he is done juat make sure u do not use cc break on carbonize "hint, hint" for nubs like u....

Like u said pt agaist jugg = no competition jugg will rape pt No problem with 3 lifes his own first then FD then enure +med pack.

Now assassin with sap heal port shroud... im not going to explain how pt will lose badly that battle right....?

Now sorc force speed break movement impairing effects + los + self heals if played right sorc will kill pt...

Now Operative with sap heal and roll (85% deflec ) for nubs explain concealment roll 85% deflect chance meaning most likely he will resist pull... dodge rail shot and resist some dots wait i forget about sap heal ... i can go on and on...

Now last bit not least sniper eng spec with double roll can counter if roll AT RIGHT TIME TD and ED with 5k absorb and possible wall bang (wall bang is situation req ) so if u can its gg of u cannot its still Against pt 50\50 depend who will get more crits...

And only class pt have a higher chance to win rather than lose its Merc...

So people like you ruin this game by being bad... and BW end up nerfing class or overbuffing other...

Edited by DrRepulsor

Ok first you can't use railshot every six seconds. You can proc it after six seconds, then wait on the GCD to use it again. Only merc pyro can railshot every 6 seconds. PT Pyro its every 7.5 seconds at best.

Secondly TD on its own is not that big of a deal, what makes pyro's burst so good is that TD allows the burst to be backloaded so that you are getting hit with both the railshot and the TD at the exact same instant. Since every self respecting pyro will attempt to do that, you can use TD as a timer to judge when the next railshot is coming.

Also I fail to see how railshot is any less stoppable than Vicious Throw or Force Scream.

Edited by Zoom_VI

You are delusional, Holy mother of god!

Marauder can vanish mitigate 50% of dmg of TD and ED.... oh i forget I need explain nubs like u how it works Mara jumps start rolling dmg first TD and ED vanish then come out from vanish pacify=no rail shot while u apply pacify use cloak of pain additional mitigate 20%dmg from flame burst and dots after 6-7sec use saber ward 50/50 if rail shot can pass plus mitigate another 25% tech dmg +20% additional while cloak of pain active cus it last 30sec wait u can CC if he breaks and u not watchman spec u can wait 6 out of 8 sec when u awe him during his kolto if he will not break then u choke him during kolto if he sits in choke then he wasting almost half of duration on kolto then u can then u pop undying and he is done juat make sure u do not use cc break on carbonize "hint, hint" for nubs like u....

Like u said pt agaist jugg = no competition jugg will rape pt No problem with 3 lifes his own first then FD then enure +med pack.

Lol thanks for explaining to me what CDs that I have used for ages against all sorts of classes great pvp master :) Now, when you see a non-trash PT lose a 1v1 to a mara of equal skill come and tell me, I'd be really interested to see how it happened. You seem to forget that unless the mara is carnage the PT can kite him without too much trouble, and if the mara decides to pop Predation he's greatly gimping his DPS especially in Annihilation/Rage spec so that's out of the question. And even if you choke the PT or Awe him he still has Shoulder Cannon so you'll end up eating damage anyways.

Pyro shield will reflect 7k dmg for the entire length of the DCD back to your face if you attack the PT so what will you do? Stop attacking him? Not to mention any smart PT won't start the fight with TD against a mara, the point is to bait the moment he pops cloak of pain (which most maras usually pop at the start of the fight...) and wait it out. Unless the mara is Smash specced it very easy to do unless you've dotted him up. In the case where the mara leaps straight at the PT as you seem to think should be the case :rolleyes: Hydraulics ->Herp derp->Cloak of Pain ran out->mara will get raped. Pyro also gets a 25% defense chance increase to all damage, so popping that while waiting Cloak of Pain out helps a lot.

This whole topic is just useless to debate, since a Pyro PT's single target dmg output in a duel is so superior to a mara's the PT either has to be very unlucky with crits (Pyros get an 8% crit chance to all tech dmg and an additional 6% crit chance to all fire effects, so they crit A LOT) or just plain terrible to lose.

I don`t know...... Evasion?Bubble?pop a DR cd/cleanse dot(TD has 15 secs cd while a cleanse is what 5 seconds?)

I meant completely negate the TD, not reduce it's dmg. It's one thing to mitigate burst and an entirely different thing to shut it down as you know.

doesn`t this apply for every instant attack in the game? Then again Railshot also requires a DOT(preparation) on the target if you want to fire it.

Ya on a sorc and if your relics proc which is out of both our hands to predict

can you show us your calculations for reaching that 40% every 6 seconds?

The optimal crit % for Pyro PT is 25%, unless you're stupid you'll get the 15% crit chance on railshot from the Eliminator set. ICD on Rail SHot reset is 6 seconds, as soon as u reset it, the ability that triggered the reset removes another 1.5sec from the ICD since that ability's own GCD has to finish.

and when that carnage guy is full resolve?

That's why u don't throw hardstuns randomly but keep one for ravage and the other one you can use it when you need it. Ravage is a 30sec CD in carnage don't forget.

1 word: Recklessness

Except recklessness doesn't increase Melee crit chance, so unless you pop it before opening and open with Spike, your maul is not gonna have a very god chance of critting.

CLEANSE no dot on you=Railshot is unusable

Except Incendiary Missile is a reappliable dot.

that smash is a 100% sure crit , and again I`ll say 8k every 6 seconds 40% of the time? where do you get these numbers from?

Look above

And don`t forget the class has no escape-ability. Show us where the mean PT touched you.

Answers in red.

I'm not whining about PT's don't get me wrong, if that's the idea you got from my post forget it! But some people whine that Pyro (I mean how many PT's do u see running AP nowadays) is weak when in reality it isn't weak at ALL. I wish they'd buff AP, for real.

Also I fail to see how railshot is any less stoppable than Vicious Throw or Force Scream

It isn't but Force Scream is only a real threat in Carnage, even veng Jugg's auto crit screams hit for 4-5k (hits greater than 5k are due to relic procs assuming no other dmg buff such as bloodthirst or the set bonus is present).

Vicious Throw hits for 3k-4k when it doesn't crit...my Flame Bursts on my PT hit for practically the same amount without crits, and unlike Rail Shot, it isn't an auto-crit in one of the trees (though AP Rail Shots aren't that big compared to Pyro's) nor does it have a 40% crit chance and deals 8k's on crits in the other tree.

Edited by Tevzz