Is the Sith Inquisitor story as bad as people say it is?

AedusWilson

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's in my top three with the agent ant the warrior, so I'd say no, it's not bad at all. Also, while I can't speak for the female inquisitor, the acting of the male inquisitor is among the best in the game.

The story is concerned with politics and alchemy and is more of a personal story, less about war or revenge, etc. The inquisitor is also at least as funny as the smuggler if you pick the right lines. Darkside, he's a freaking lunatic, Lightside, he's still a sarcastic bastard. ;)

Edited by errant_knight

It's in my top three with the agent ant the warrior, so I'd say no, it's not bad at all. Also, while I can't speak for the female inquisitor, the acting of the male inquisitor is among the best in the game.

The story is concerned with politics and alchemy and is more of a personal story, less about war or revenge, etc. The inquisitor is also at least as funny as the smuggler if you pick the right lines. Darkside, he's a freaking lunatic, Lightside, he's still a sarcastic bastard. ;)

It all depends on what you're looking for. Me, I like toying with characters and enjoy filling in loose plot details with my own head canon. I admit, my personal interpretation plays a lot into my enjoyment of the Inq's storyline.

My LS/neutral Inquisitor was a consummate Stepford Snarker who was basically just trying to make the best of a continuously bad situation. I even loved the bittersweet way his romance with Ashara worked out.

Naturally, your mileage may vary, but my Inquisitor's story ranks among my very favorite in SWTOR. :)

My Inq couldn't have cared less about Imperial reform (at least at first), being far more concerned with self preservation in the face of efforts to the contrary by those around him. :p

Ashara provided an interesting foil at a point where he was starting to slide more toward the dark side (getting a little free with that lightning). Her stubborn (blind) idealism offset his stubborn (jaded) cynicism nicely, and also made her the only person on the ship willing to call him out.

(contains minor spoiler re: info on a companion from the end of Tatooine.)

Khem wouldn't call him on it because he'd approve. Andronikos might object, but he'll back down if it looks like the Inquisitor is getting upset--probably a relic of his experiences with the Sith torturers in Imperial prison.

There was a lot of really good back and forth between them, some of it rather biting, but lots of fun. :D

Ashara can be many things but certainly not an hypocrite. :cool:

Oh sure she can. For all her talk about being a jedi, you practically have to chain her down to keep her from killing everything that moves. You lose points any time you avoid a battle. She's as rash and emotional as any sith. She definately didn't like it when my inquisitor told her she was a terrible jedi, lol.

Edited by errant_knight

My LS/neutral Inquisitor was a consummate Stepford Snarker who was basically just trying to make the best of a continuously bad situation. I even loved the bittersweet way his romance with Ashara worked out.

Exactly the same for me. I played it light side and neutral (he's a good guy, but he's not good in a limited, narrow minded way like the Jedi) and with the way he's acted (definitely the best acting in the game from what I've seen) he's just one of those likeable characters who's constantly having bad stuff happen to him and being forced to deal with it.

Oh sure she can. For all her talk about being a jedi, you practically have to chain her down to keep her from killing everything that moves. You lose points any time you avoid a battle. She's as rash and emotional as any sith. She definately didn't like it when my inquisitor told her she was a terrible jedi, lol.

You probably missed this I guess...

You claim she says she's a Jedi, yet the video above has her saying she doesn't know what she is and quite frankly, she apparently doesn't care.

Not only that but she actually goes the extra mile to admit that the concept of "Jedi" and "Sith" is an arbitrary divide. That's a stage of enlightenment or self-discovery that other apprentices in this game don't exactly display.

I also wonder if you have that sort of predicament with LS Jaesa for example, as far as all-out killing is concerned.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I wouldn't say it's *better* than the warrior--which is one of my favorite stories. I've played it several times--I'd call it different rather than better.

I agree...whether it's "better" or not, simply depends on what you're looking for out of the story. They are both good in their own right, just different, as you say.

I posted this in the Inquisitor section, in a thread of the same topic.

My main, and only other character, is a Jedi Guardian...so I rolled a darkside Force user to offset him...and I went with the Inquisitor.

I was glad I did...because the story was/is a good play/watch. It's more personal, and it shows a rise from the lowest beginnings...which, in my mind, makes the choices in the game that much more significant...because you can honestly see the Inquisitor becoming light or dark.

I chose to make my Inquisitors story a slow fall into complete darkness...and the storyline really allows for that to happen, because it is so personal.

I just think all this makes for a better (darkside) story to watch/be a part of...as you get to see a descent into darkness (if you choose to play it that way)...instead of simply being all kinds of evil right from the beginning ie. the Warrior storyline.

These are just my opinions.

Edited by VitalityPrime

Haha my sith inquisitor was made as purely lightside, chasing knowledge of the force, nothing more, nothing less, the empire and the war are just background, empires rise and fall, wars are won and lost. But when all of those things are gone, what remains is still the force.

And I make waaaay too much stuff up in my head as I go along.

I loved the Inquisitor story line. It was actually my first character, and I'm glad I chose it. He was more independent than the other force-sensitive roles, IMO - less bound by faction loyalty. I will say the story felt... incomplete? It really did feel like an intermission at the end, instead of the end.

That's because it was. It was slightly more obvious in that story that it was to be picked up in ensuing chapters, but all the stories have loose threads that were there to be picked up in future. Sadly, we will never know what was supposed to happen unless they greenlight the stories again.

Yep, and I've also heard it's just a huge ghostbusting and tombraiding fiasco. While I feel this is an exaggeration of one or two quests, can anyone dispel this?

The biggest issues I had with the story (and I consider it the worst) arein no particular order:

(MAY CONTAIN SLIGHT SPOILERS)

1.) the class is themed after Palpatine but you do exactly ZERO manipulation/scheming I expected from the class. Take for example certain story mission on certain planet : Youre supposed to make person X to do thing Y. How does inquisitor go about it? He/she attacks the persons fortress, kills all the guards and THREATENS her. The closest he gets to manipulating someone is technically the seduction of Ashara, which was just a complete failgasm in the end.

2.) Ashara, the one character inquisitor almost managed to manipulate, well.. to avoid spoilers, lets just say that the story makes you feel like you succeed, only to pull the carpet from under you in the end.

3.) For an eventual member of the dark council, inquisitor is very adept at following other people's orders. He doesn't figure out a thing on his own. Even after certain person Z tried to kill him, he kept taking person Z's advice.

4.) You lose a big fight as part of the story. This is technically not that bad since other classes do it too (Except SW, note), but in order to win that fight in the end, he had to recruit other peoples help once again. His whole force gimmick about using dead spirits is, once again, reliant on someone else (the spirits). Sorry but this kind of story does not make me feel like inquisitor is strong or even accomplishes much.

5. During the story he gets his hands on a superweapon. Cool. He actually managed to accomplish something! Wait, what happens afterwards? The storywriter COMPLETELY FORGETS ITS EXISTENCE afterwards. Its not mentioned once even though its still technically in inquisitors possession. WTH Bioware!

6. For the most part, inquisitors companions and thus their stories are bland and unexciting. Xalek? He is about as exciting as a pencil-sharpener. Talos? Who is this guy even? Andronikos? Why is he with the inquisitor? I never quite figured that out. Ashara? AAAARRRGGGHHH

YMMV indeed but I don't understand how can anyone think of this story as "good". It was written by a relative newcomer and it shows.

Edited by Karkais

Op, you better just play it and see what you think. Mileage obviously varies and if people try to rebutt the last post, it's going to get spollerific. You already got quite a few there. Me, I enjoyed it a lot. Give it a try and see if you do too. Worst case scenario, you get to shoot lightning at people. ;) Edited by errant_knight

The biggest issues I had with the story (and I consider it the worst) arein no particular order:

(MAY CONTAIN SLIGHT SPOILERS)

1.) the class is themed after Palpatine but you do exactly ZERO manipulation/scheming I expected from the class. Take for example certain story mission on certain planet : Youre supposed to make person X to do thing Y. How does inquisitor go about it? He/she attacks the persons fortress, kills all the guards and THREATENS her. The closest he gets to manipulating someone is technically the seduction of Ashara, which was just a complete failgasm in the end.

2.) Ashara, the one character inquisitor almost managed to manipulate, well.. to avoid spoilers, lets just say that the story makes you feel like you succeed, only to pull the carpet from under you in the end.

3.) For an eventual member of the dark council, inquisitor is very adept at following other people's orders. He doesn't figure out a thing on his own. Even after certain person Z tried to kill him, he kept taking person Z's advice.

4.) You lose a big fight as part of the story. This is technically not that bad since other classes do it too (Except SW, note), but in order to win that fight in the end, he had to recruit other peoples help once again. His whole force gimmick about using dead spirits is, once again, reliant on someone else (the spirits). Sorry but this kind of story does not make me feel like inquisitor is strong or even accomplishes much.

5. During the story he gets his hands on a superweapon. Cool. He actually managed to accomplish something! Wait, what happens afterwards? The storywriter COMPLETELY FORGETS ITS EXISTENCE afterwards. Its not mentioned once even though its still technically in inquisitors possession. WTH Bioware!

6. For the most part, inquisitors companions and thus their stories are bland and unexciting. Xalek? He is about as exciting as a pencil-sharpener. Talos? Who is this guy even? Andronikos? Why is he with the inquisitor? I never quite figured that out. Ashara? AAAARRRGGGHHH

YMMV indeed but I don't understand how can anyone think of this story as "good". It was written by a relative newcomer and it shows.

1. They may have misled you when the game was being advertised...I'm not sure...but the class is NOT themed after Palpatine. You start as a slave and work your way up through the Sith hierarchy through behind the scenes powerplays.

2. While I do wish you could make her fully fall to the darkside...the fact is, you're manipulating her...and you succeed. She is completely devoted to you, but she still believes herself a Jedi (for most of the story)...and you use this to have her bring more Jedi to your cause. That's pretty damn manipulative.

3. Taking advice for his own gains shows how smart and intelligent the character actual is. He takes the advice to use for his own personal gains. Leave the mindless killing to the Sith Warriors. The Inquisitor is about growing their knowledge and power.

4. Force Walking is something only the most powerful Force users can do...that is explicitly stated to you. The fact that you didn't die because of it just goes to show how incredibly powerful the Inquisitor is with the Force.

5. I have nothing. haha

6. I will agree with Talos and Andronikos. However, Khem is one of the most ****** companions in the game. His presence, and his being bound to you...just goes to show how powerful the Inquisitor is. Ashara...see number two (2) above. Xalek...while I agree about the character...the fact is that he is your apprentice...that you get from Harkin...outlining your "full-circle" storyline and nearly complete rise into the Sith Hierarchy.

To each their own of course...I just think you're looking at most of those in the wrong way.

Edited by VitalityPrime

Personally, I really enjoyed the inquisitor story......as a LS male character. Playing as a DS guy was cool, But Ashara just made me want to tie her to the landing gear and listen to her scream "but I'm a Jedi" until I reach orbit. Lol After the DS SW & Jessa story I was looking forward to doing something similar with Ashara. But honestly, that's my biggest complaint about the SI. Overall.....it's one of the top 3 stories imo