Threshold Entry to Level 55 . . .

t-darko

A reflection from Reg que

The threshold entry to lvl 55 pvp is increased, with the new tier of gear and limitation to Bolster makes it harder for new entry lvl players. The transition is fairly good with an already fully geared and auged character BUT however as some guildies pointed out to me, entry on a pve or partly exp modded gear killed the joy in a ´smash´ apparently. So I tried it out on a couple of alts, the tanks had a fairly good survivability while almost every other class had a very rough time. Queuing at the wrong time in the wrong crowd wasn't encouraging at all and a flashback to the old days were as gear was all and skill never stood a the chance to be discovered.

A couple of stunlocks and a 2 man focus and your out in 6 sec flat . . . so I would have to agree, the threshold entry seems a bit tougher then before - is it scaring people away?

Edited by t-darko

The threshold entry to lvl 55 pvp is increased, with the new tier of gear and limitation to Bolster makes it harder for new entry lvl players. The transition is fairly good with an already fully geared and auged character BUT however as some guildies pointed out to me, entry on a pve or partly exp modded gear killed the joy in a ´smash´ apparently. So I tried it out on a couple of alts, the tanks had a fairly good survivability while almost every other class had a very rough time. Queuing at the wrong time in the wrong crowd wasn't encouraging at all and a flashback to the old days were as gear was all and skill never stood a the chance to be discovered.

A couple of stunlocks and a 2 man focus and your out in 6 sec flat . . . so I would have to agree, the threshold entry seems a bit tougher then before - is it scaring people away?

Baddies gonna bad.

If you dont have close to 2018 expertise the first warzone you enter at 55, you are doing it wrong.

Will you be in a disadvantage to a full min/max brutalizer player? Yes.

Are you able to make up the gear gap with skill, smart play and getting a decent group together? Yes.

It this how it should be? IMO, yes.

The threshold entry to lvl 55 pvp is increased, with the new tier of gear and limitation to Bolster makes it harder for new entry lvl players.

Increased how? Obroan/Brutalizer costs the same as Conqueror/Obroan did. If you do the weapon/speeder thing, you can roll in full Brutalizer once you hit 55.

Unfortunately the threshold to entry is not PvP gear, it is augments and skill. Augmenting is something anyone can do without PvPing-people choose not to because they spend all their money on bikini costumes and shiny mounts. Skill is something no one can do anything about. Need to read, play, learn your class and get better at it. There are more than enough guides explaining how to play.

Baddies gonna bad.

If you dont have close to 2018 expertise the first warzone you enter at 55, you are doing it wrong.

Are you able to make up the gear gap with skill, smart play and getting a decent group together? Yes.

HOW?

No, seriously, how in the blue Hell are you supposed to have even close to 2018 expertise when you first ding 55? Even assuming you save up, with cap you can afford at most 2-3 pieces of gear.

HOW?

No, seriously, how in the blue Hell are you supposed to have even close to 2018 expertise when you first ding 55? Even assuming you save up, with cap you can afford at most 2-3 pieces of gear.

By stacking PvP weapons in your inventory and rebuying them each ~2 hours so they can be refunded. One weapon is worth 900 comms, you need ~16 to get min/maxed Obroan.

But also, you can just go into wz in leveling greens/blues and have 2018 expertise from bolster.

Edited by unK_

If this were true, I wouldn't be able to pull 1250 dps on my sorc that has only 4 augs and not even full obroan (the non-obroan slots are 104 and 140 ratings from leveling). In regs, skill will trump as long as you have close to full expertise.

Ranked is a different story. Everyone there is skilled and therefore any small disadvantage is compounded in this setting. Full augs/stims/exp is required.

By stacking PvP weapons in your inventory and rebuying them each ~2 hours so they can be refunded. One weapon is worth 900 comms, you need ~16 to get min/maxed Obroan.

But also, you can just go into wz in leveling greens/blues and have 2018 expertise from bolster.

No you can't anymore, you need at least PvP mainhand and offhand to achieve 2018.

not going to say anything about how 2018 expertise isn't always BiS

Also not everyone stacks weapons, power leveling particularly doesn't leave enough time to do so, not to mention that some of us actually leave the fleet and do other things during the leveling process.

Baddies gonna bad.

Now, I could write something demeaning reflecting the intelligence of opening a thread response with an insult, but then again it probably would take some intelligence to understand the insult. So I refrain to from that .. hmm ... or did I!?

'OC should there be a gap, but if it's perceived as too hard to overcome new entry lvl players quit once they hit 55.

Increased how? Obroan/Brutalizer costs the same as Conqueror/Obroan did. If you do the weapon/speeder thing, you can roll in full Brutalizer once you hit 55.

So what your saying is that; "as I know this, everyone else should know it per see" Just like that, your midichlorian count must be real high . . .

Unfortunately the threshold to entry is not PvP gear, it is augments and skill. Augmenting is something anyone can do without PvPing-people choose not to because they spend all their money on bikini costumes and shiny mounts. Skill is something no one can do anything about. Need to read, play, learn your class and get better at it. There are more than enough guides explaining how to play.

'OC it''s skill! There are several known thresholds in the game play of PvP and if you start as a lvl 10 you learn this and develop strategies to handle those thresholds and develop your skill accordingly. BUT if you enter on lvl 55 you are more likely to just drop the whole pvp thing rather then stick it out, explore and develop your skill.

It is quite stupid to pursue the 'all that don't know are BADS' mantra when we all know that a cross server queue is no where to be seen in the nearest future. The only way to get more pops is to allow people to get hooked on swtor pvp and accept that it takes time and a lot of practice to develop the skills needed. A perceived wider gap on entry lvl is not something we need then.

The upcoming Dailies in ranked is a step in the right direction. An increased gap in the threshold to entry level in 55 is not.

If you stacked just comms (not even stacking lightsabers) and you really wanted as many Obroan pieces as you can get the exact moment you hit 55, you can easily get 9 pieces of Obroan gear with just your saved comms. You can get 2 relics, 2 implants, 1 earpiece, 1 bracer, 1 belt, and 2 set bonus pieces. You'd have to back convert from ranked to reg comms, but it would be a significant QoL improvement from having 2-3 Brutalizer pieces and that's it. With those 9 pieces, you'd do just fine.

Note: This is all done under the assumption that the fresh 55 is for some reason allergic to the gtn and is afraid of planetary comms vendors, so they are unable to get gear that bolsters well from those sources.

'OC it''s skill! There are several known thresholds in the game play of PvP and if you start as a lvl 10 you learn this and develop strategies to handle those thresholds and develop your skill accordingly. BUT if you enter on lvl 55 you are more likely to just drop the whole pvp thing rather then stick it out, explore and develop your skill.

It is quite stupid to pursue the 'all that don't know are BADS' mantra when we all know that a cross server queue is no where to be seen in the nearest future. The only way to get more pops is to allow people to get hooked on swtor pvp and accept that it takes time and a lot of practice to develop the skills needed. A perceived wider gap on entry lvl is not something we need then.

I started at level 55. Though I was far from the best in the wz, I was able to contribute. You only need to learn the wz mechanics once and then you will be able to apply it to any character. Everyone has to start somewhere. And yes, a cross server queue would allow for better matchmaking, but BW has no plans to pursue this; it is what it is.

There is not excuse for not bring fully augged at cap either, especially if you have multiple toons...

That just means that I am extra broke from spending ~about 2.5m on the others. :p I never have full augs immediately on a fresh 55.

Baddies gonna bad.

Yes. :cool:

That just means that I am extra broke from spending ~about 2.5m on the others. :p I never have full augs immediately on a fresh 55.

If you are on your first toon, as a PvP focused player, you should be leveling Cybertech, Scavanging and Slicing and doing dailies starting on Belsavis, Ilum, Black Hole. All doable around level 48ish..

If you are powerleveling alts, you should have a Cybertech, Scavanging, Slicing already at 450 and boatloads of credits. Find a crafter, or level the alt as a synth/armor/arms. Give them the thermal regulators and mats for kits prior to cap.

I little bit of prep goes a long way. Did u read my making credits thread?

I little bit of prep goes a long way. Did u read my making credits thread?

Yes, I read it, but I seriously don't care for crafting and ugh daily grinding. I have max biochem on my sage (and I love having the reusable willpower stim). However, getting 450 biochem made me realize that I never want to do that ever again. Crafting, to me, feels like a chore. :(

The obvious conclusion is that there is nothing more that can be done for me, then. I'm lazy. I know. But I play this game to unwind, not to do chores. The only point that I'm trying to make is that I'm sure that there are many like me.

Edited by teclado

Yes, I read it, but I seriously don't care for crafting and ugh daily grinding. I have max biochem on my sage (and I love having the reusable willpower stim). However, getting 450 biochem made me realize that I never want to do that ever again. Crafting, to me, feels like a chore. :(

The obvious conclusion is that there is nothing more that can be done for me, then. I'm lazy. I know. But I play this game to unwind, not to do chores. The only point that I'm trying to make is that I'm sure that there are many like me.

Fair enough, but you should really think about at least doing Slicing and Scavenging on one alt. Thermal Regulators or whatever purple level slicing mat for augments will always be in demand.

You can level up via mats in OW and companion missions at the same time. Its pretty fast, especially if you are already at cap, and got some credits to blow on legacy perks and gift to get companion affection to 10K.

People always assume you should be able to get full brutalizer the minute they hit 55 but reality is that a lot of people are new, on their first toon, and don't know exploits to stack comms.

When a Noob or PvE convert asks for help instead of telling them they should have done something in the past we should tell them what to do from now on.

So...

1. Grind out the Oberon gear. You'll have to take some lumps for a week or 2 but that's not that long. Do your Daily every night and you'll have full PvP gear in about a week.

2. If you have some ranked comms get the relics first. I wouldn't back convert ranked to warzone comms, just grind more normal comms.

3. During your week of grind, dump the high level pve gear. There might be some odd configurations (others can go into detail) but it's easier to fill orange shells with planetary makeb mods and buying blue crafted 55 gear for the rest.

4. Augment you gear as soon as you can. Make money and dump it into augments.

5. Get some blue nano stims for your mainstat. They give a great boost.

6. If you can make your own augment kits, augments, and stims you'll save a lot of money.

Edited by Kerensk