Is Trooper story really THAT boring? If so should i be Smuggler or Councilar?

XCantaloupeX

I have done some research and heard that the trooper story is just a drag. I am on Chapter 2 of Sith Warrior and I am loving it! Very interesting and the end of Chapter 1 was very enjoyable :), It made me feel like a true sith! I played a marauder and i very much loved the dps gameplay but I am thinking of being tank or healer next, but I may still do DPS.

For my second character I am thinking of a trooper, Councilar, or Smuggler.

Trooper- I am thinking it would be cool to maybe be a Military tank with heavy armor, but i heard very bad things about the story.. My questions for Trooper are:

- Is story good?

- Is playing the class fun? Please state if your a vanguard or a commando.

- How is dialogue?

- How is it compared to smuggler story/gameplay and councilar story/gameplay?

Smuggler- I would most likely be a scoundral because I HATE the cover system.

- Is story good?

- do you feel weak? As a warrior I am feeling completely powerful and nothing can stop me, even Elites 2 or 3 levels higher than me.

- How is healing?

- How is it compared to Trooper story/gameplay and Councilar story/gameplay

- Is leveling as a scoundral healer feel boring?

-How is gameplay?

Councilar- Probably gonna heal here too because being a shadow doesnt really seem to be my thing and it seems like fun healing.

- Once again how is story?

- does leveling as a councilar healer feel boring?

- How does it compare to Trooper story/gameplay and Smuggler story/gameplay

I do not have time to play all the classes so please no comments like "play them all".... And please only answers from people with experience from atleast one class

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Trooper storyline is pretty bland so is Consular. I really like being a Smuggler because your independent your not super loyal to someone and no one is the boss to you. I am a more independent player that is probably why I am not really comfortable being alligned to a Government. But trust me Smuggler is great.

Edited by Akilus
Spelling mistake

I feel like the Consular story has more impact, since you are dealing with actual republic politics and deal with solving bigger than life conflicts. Also, you get to see what happened to Bastila Shan.

My advice would be to simply try them, if you don't like them you can always delete the characters.

Got 3 50's (BH/Agent/Trooper) and i have to agree that the trooper story is pretty bland. Especially when compared to my other two classes.

That being said the final battle of the Trooper story line is pretty cool (makes you feel like your in a war) and without spoiling it too much there is another part half way through the story that involves you invading a ship (trust me it's awesome). But other than those two parts it's kinda weak.

However i did roll a Vanguard and gotta say it's still my main today. The class itself is an absolute blast to play. You can tank, dps, support and all on the fly. No annoying long cast timers etc. Your pretty much a hit and move toon that can fill a variety of roles to fit any situation. Hell there are even various videos showing full trooper groups clearing hard mode operations and as a guildie once said "A trooper is all you ever need" kinda holds true.

So bottom line my input on the trooper... Story kinda sucks, has it's moments but man the class is fun to play.

Edited by AutoCocker

I love the Vanguard class to actually play, but, yeah, Trooper story is a little bland. Didn't really like the Consular story that much either. The Knight story was probably the most epic feeling, but my favorite was actually the Smuggler story. Act 1 was just awesome, in my opinion, partially because the dialogue you've got with the Act 1 villain in just awesome ("So, that's your plan for killing me? You're putting together an army of my ex-girlfriends?") though the galactic scavenger hunt plot I thought was a lot of fun.

On the other side, the Warrior story line is great (dark Jaesa has some awesome bits, and I'm in the "Vette is more amusing than annoying" camp) and feels more... alive, I guess, than any of the Pub classes except maybe the Smuggler, and I've read that the Agent story line is even better.

i haven't beaten the consular story. but i got pretty far, the great thing about it is that its the closest tied to the general quests.

you know how theres always that individual planet storyline on each planet, the consulars story is almost always super tied into that as well, so it feels like one big story rather than two separate ones (at least after act 2).

the smuggler is mostly wacky antics, it doesn't feel very grand or important at all. at least compared to every other classes.

i havent played the trooper at all so i cant comment on that. but the consulars story isn't as bad as people make it out to be, its actually pretty good. my problem with it was the ultrabland male voice actor.

Some answers :

My questions for Trooper are:

- Is story good?

Chapter 1 is average. Chapter 2-3 are bad. The galaxy is supposed to be at war, but yet, you are send to do errand on some minor planet. And you are supposed to be the best the republic have to offer.

Commando pre 1.2 : soloing was really fun. It seems vanguard is fun to, lots of aoe, and survability.

- How is dialogue?

I don't know what to say.

Smuggler story is better so far (I'm lvl43, belsavis). It's really fun, playing as a male, a bit "cool" like Han Solo. Gameplay is a matter of taste.

Consular story is bad. Worse than trooper story. Obvious plot, boring quest.... They tried to make the quest more diplomacy oriented, which is a great idea, but it's poorly done.

- do you feel weak? As a warrior I am feeling completely powerful and nothing can stop me, even Elites 2 or 3 levels higher than me.

I play as a gunslinger, and I feel weaker than my commando. You are more a glass cannon with really limited aoe. The only one interesting comes around lvl48... Also, the only mez you have works only against droids, and it's limited. I was able to solo H2 with my commando, and unable as a smuggler. Maybe it's different as a scoundrel, but I'm not sure.

- How is healing?

I don't know for sure, but I played commando as healer, and got a friend with operative heal (mirror class). A consular have better healing. The energy management as non consular is far more fun.

-How is gameplay?

I don't know as a scoundrel, but since I'm playing consular heal, I can talk about the gameplay as healer in pve I heal my pet while he kill stuff. I usually use a tank pet in DPS stance. Honestly, It's not so fun.

If you switch to DPS for lvling purpose, you'll rely on melee skills. Even uppercut and stuff. Sounds weird.

Hope this help.

Thanks for all the answers. Im still so tied though! All the republic classes look like so much fun! I would do a Jedi Knight if it wasnt a mirror of the warrior. I really wanna roll a bounty hunter but im gonna wait till after my republic character because i know im gonna get so bored with the same side quests...

So far heres what I got

Trooper:

-You feel powerful

-Fun gameplay

- Bad story with a few good moments

Smuggler:

-Play a small part in the galaxy

-squishy

-melee when u should be using ur gun????

-story is good and bad?

Councilar:

-Boring Diplomatic story

-Good healer

Can I have some more insight on this? And the questions stated previously?

Some answers :

My questions for Trooper are:

- Is story good?

Chapter 1 is average. Chapter 2-3 are bad. The galaxy is supposed to be at war, but yet, you are send to do errand on some minor planet. And you are supposed to be the best the republic have to offer.

Commando pre 1.2 : soloing was really fun. It seems vanguard is fun to, lots of aoe, and survability.

- How is dialogue?

I don't know what to say.

Smuggler story is better so far (I'm lvl43, belsavis). It's really fun, playing as a male, a bit "cool" like Han Solo. Gameplay is a matter of taste.

Consular story is bad. Worse than trooper story. Obvious plot, boring quest.... They tried to make the quest more diplomacy oriented, which is a great idea, but it's poorly done.

I play as a gunslinger, and I feel weaker than my commando. You are more a glass cannon with really limited aoe. The only one interesting comes around lvl48... Also, the only mez you have works only against droids, and it's limited. I was able to solo H2 with my commando, and unable as a smuggler. Maybe it's different as a scoundrel, but I'm not sure.

- How is healing?

I don't know for sure, but I played commando as healer, and got a friend with operative heal (mirror class). A consular have better healing. The energy management as non consular is far more fun.

-How is gameplay?

I don't know as a scoundrel, but since I'm playing consular heal, I can talk about the gameplay as healer in pve I heal my pet while he kill stuff. I usually use a tank pet in DPS stance. Honestly, It's not so fun.

If you switch to DPS for lvling purpose, you'll rely on melee skills. Even uppercut and stuff. Sounds weird.

Hope this help.

Thanks for the answers! It really helps thanks!

I have done some research and heard that the trooper story is just a drag. I am on Chapter 2 of Sith Warrior and I am loving it! Very interesting and the end of Chapter 1 was very enjoyable :), It made me feel like a true sith! I played a marauder and i very much loved the dps gameplay but I am thinking of being tank or healer next, but I may still do DPS.

For my second character I am thinking of a trooper, Councilar, or Smuggler.

Trooper- I am thinking it would be cool to maybe be a Military tank with heavy armor, but i heard very bad things about the story.. My questions for Trooper are:

- Is story good?

- How is dialogue?

- Is story good?

- How is healing?

- How is it compared to Trooper story/gameplay and Councilar story/gameplay

- Is leveling as a scoundral healer feel boring?

-How is gameplay?

Councilar- Probably gonna heal here too because being a shadow doesnt really seem to be my thing and it seems like fun healing.

- Once again how is story?

- does leveling as a councilar healer feel boring?

- How does it compare to Trooper story/gameplay and Smuggler story/gameplay

I do not have time to play all the classes so please no comments like "play them all".... And please only answers from people with experience from atleast one class

i hate the trooper storyline, consular is boring, smuggler is fun, i like both smuggy and consular but go gunslinger consular story is boring.

Edited by super-kabob

Uhhhhhhhh...what???

You mean apart from Flashbang (8sec AOE mez), groin kick (4sec stun), Cover Pulse (knockback and root), Leg Shot (root) and Ambush (knockback)?

Uhhhhhhhh...what???

You mean apart from Flashbang (8sec AOE mez), groin kick (4sec stun), Cover Pulse (knockback and root), Leg Shot (root) and Ambush (knockback)?

Yes, apart from those.... :)

To the OP, I'm not sure that you can get a good opinion from other people without giving some sort of idea of what you like. I've seen all sorts of people saying how great the Jedi Knight story is, and scratched my heads about why I don't like it. If you can find people who like the stories you like, then finding out what other stories they like could give a better idea of what to true. FWIW, I find the Trooper story a bit bland in places but not unpalatable; the Sith Warrior is very mixed, with parts I really like and parts I dislike; I tried the Jedi Knight twice and couldn't get into the story; the Smuggler was/is my favourite by some margin; the Sith Inquisitor turned me off from the start; the Bounty Hunter seems like it's going to be fun; and I haven't tried Consular or Agent yet.

Just as a counterpoint, I loved the trooper storyline, even after playing through two other classes (Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior).

To put it bluntly, no, the Trooper story is not boring. If anything, I think it's one of the best pieces of star wars military fiction outside of the X-Wing Novels or the Heir to the Empire series. All the squadmates are varied and interesting, the story progresses logically and yet still holds many surprises. Finally, as a trooper, you get a very real feeling that you're the one who's saving the Republic while the Jedi are busy saving the Galaxy.

Edited by VarrusTheEthical

Hey someone stated earlier to post what i like in a class.. so here it goes!

I like a good story with good dialogue..Sometimes dialogue itself will make me more interested than the story

I dont wanna feal weak. I played to level 30 on a sorcerer but i ended that character because I switched servers and when i played as it i felt scared to go up against strong enemies! haha! But even if i didnt switch servers I still would of kept that character because I heard it got better

Im more of a pve player or world pvp, its hard for me to get interested in warzones.

I think the idea of meleeing with a gun is dumb but i guess i would still do it

I dont really like the cover system

I want to contribute to groups, so for my next character (as i stated before) I am looking for a tank or healer, not just random DPS.

Well thats all I can think of off of my head, but if you want to know any more information just ask

Edited by XCantaloupeX

The only character of those I've played to level 50 is smuggler, so, to answer your questions:

The Overall Story (The story that binds the little stories between planets) isn't that good, specially in Act 1. It may seem a bit underwhelming if you played a Warrior. Each planet's story, however, are often really good or, at the very least, decent.

I personally never felt weak as a scoundrel healer, though I often used my stealth to avoid fighting mobs.

Healing is absolutely great. I tried both the Trooper and Smuggler healer and I'd definitely choose the Smuggler one, as I felt it was a bit more dynamic.

The gameplay is certainly not boring. It's better if you do it with a friend (As it always happens when you're a healer) but is certainly not mandatory and you shouldn't have any problems at all to finish your quests if you do them at the appropiate level. You can actually solo some heroics because of your stealth, so that's a bonus.

But the best, the very best of the Smuggler, is the dialogue. I have played most classes so far and none of them get near to the cockyness and originality of the smuggler dialogue. If only for that, you should play at least to Hoth to see how great it is.

So yeah, I would recommend it.

I've played the completed the Imperial Agent story, the Jedi Knight story almost to the end, and started the Trooper and Consular story and personally i think the IA story is really good, I know its not Republic side which may be desirable for you, but if you want a fun story, then in my opinion that is it. I found that there was quite a lot of options that allowed me to really act how an agent would.

Republic side, The knight story line is interesting to play through, and also enjoyable. I'm finding the Consular one a little dull (I'm on Taris) and the trooper one seems interesting too, at least the prelude to it did :) If you're looking mainly for a good story line though, I'd recommend the Imperial Agent story :p

Hope that was a little helpful for you!

I've played the completed the Imperial Agent story, the Jedi Knight story almost to the end, and started the Trooper and Consular story and personally i think the IA story is really good, I know its not Republic side which may be desirable for you, but if you want a fun story, then in my opinion that is it. I found that there was quite a lot of options that allowed me to really act how an agent would.

Republic side, The knight story line is interesting to play through, and also enjoyable. I'm finding the Consular one a little dull (I'm on Taris) and the trooper one seems interesting too, at least the prelude to it did :) If you're looking mainly for a good story line though, I'd recommend the Imperial Agent story :p

Hope that was a little helpful for you!

So you liked the knight story? Maybe I will run a guardian or something.. decisions decisions

So you liked the knight story? Maybe I will run a guardian or something.. decisions decisions

Indeed, it was made a bit more enjoyable by being evil >:3

I re-rolled half way through tho, as I wasn't enjoying the Sentinel advanced class that much.

I recommend to try them all out for your self tho, because whats enjoyable for one person, may not be interesting for someone else. Best thing to do IMO to try them out, is to do the starter planet with each one, get a feel for the story, then do Esseless/Black Talon to get a quick feel for the advanced class :)

Best of luck to you though, and I hope you have fun no matter what you choose!

Indeed, it was made a bit more enjoyable by being evil >:3

I re-rolled half way through tho, as I wasn't enjoying the Sentinel advanced class that much.

I recommend to try them all out for your self tho, because whats enjoyable for one person, may not be interesting for someone else. Best thing to do IMO to try them out, is to do the starter planet with each one, get a feel for the story, then do Esseless/Black Talon to get a quick feel for the advanced class :)

Best of luck to you though, and I hope you have fun no matter what you choose!

Thanks for the advice! I think i will do that! Its so hard to tell how the class is from the first 10 levels though.. Althought the warrior really drew me in in the first 10 levels.. esspecially with the torturing lmao

Just as a counterpoint, I loved the trooper storyline, even after playing through two other classes (Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior).

To put it bluntly, no, the Trooper story is not boring. If anything, I think it's one of the best pieces of star wars military fiction outside of the X-Wing Novels or the Heir to the Empire series. All the squadmates are varied and interesting, the story progresses logically and yet still holds many surprises. Finally, as a trooper, you get a very real feeling that you're the one who's saving the Republic while the Jedi are busy saving the Galaxy.

although the beginning planet storyline is so stupid lol

weird i've played almost all imp storys and dabbled in the rep stories and i found trooper story most interesting... but i'd say roll the class you enjoy most story will be good regardless none of them are bad.

The trooper story is awful compared to other classes. After playing some other classes I really don't understand what the devs where thinking when the came up with the story. Smuggler is really good. I never got to far on mine but since the opening scene I keep thinking when I was going to get my ship back! Along with the sense of humor in the story I would suggest that as being probably one of the better stories.